• 3 Post By arie_skop
  • 4 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 6 Post By BITTER
  • 2 Post By dolem
  • 1 Post By stella blue
  • 1 Post By RobbieLee
  • 2 Post By arie_skop
  • 2 Post By rollo

Thread: Natalie Portman: French are ‘judgmental about how you are & how you look’

Default Natalie Portman: French are ‘judgmental about how you are & how you look’

Natalie Portman: French are ‘judgmental about how you are & how you look’

Natalie Portman has been shilling for her feature-length directorial debut, A Tale of Love and Darkness, for months really. But she’s definitely stepped it up in the past few weeks, doing a full promotional tour in New York and giving interviews to anyone who wants to speak to her. The film is pretty small and it’s not going to make much money, but the reviews are okay/mediocre and most people think that Portman should try her hand at directing again. Anyway, Portman chatted with the Guardian last week about how she’s moved back to America after living in Paris, how she’s still a vegan and more. Some highlights:

Moving back to LA after living in Paris: “People in LA are just wild. French people are very judgmental, or in Paris at least, about how you are and how you look. You would never wear workout clothes on the street or sandals or shorts or wild colours. It was fun to get back to where everyone’s just being free.”
    Vegan food in Paris: “Actually, Paris has improved a lot for vegans in the past few years. It was a lucky moment to be there as a vegan.”
    Whether she reads the reviews: “No. I avoid it. It’s inhibiting to hear bad things about yourself. It makes you afraid, and you can’t be afraid when you work.
    Watching herself onscreen: “I usually see a movie once when it comes out at the premiere and then never see it again. Usually I cringe through the premiere and hate everything I do. The less I’m in a movie, the more I like it.”
    She enjoyed her sober Oscar campaign for ‘Black Swan’: “Being sober the whole time is a trip! I’ll tell you that. I felt unusual being that way relative to the room.”

[From The Guardian]
    “You would never wear workout clothes on the street or sandals or shorts or wild colours.”Isn’t it that way in most major European cities? That they look down on you if you wear flip-flops and jeans or sweatpants? I imagine it’s magnified in Paris, a city known for being stylish and chic. Your yoga pants are gauche! Take your flip-flops back to America, you peasant! Considering I live in sweatpants and flip-flops pretty much year-round, I guess Paris would HATE me.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Elite Member

So if she's moved back to L.A., does that mean her marriage to the French guy is over?

She enjoyed her sober Oscar campaign for ‘Black Swan’: “Being sober the whole time is a trip! I’ll tell you that. I felt unusual being that way relative to the room.”

I don't understand this statement.. Am I missing something? Is she a raging alcoholic?
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Does she know Paris is chic, and most of the major fashion houses are there. What did she expect?

Dont know why but I find her unlikable.
    BITTER, Marmar2 and ana-mish-ana like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post

I don't understand this statement.. Am I missing something? Is she a raging alcoholic?

The quote is probably a little out of context. I imagine they were talking about her being pregnant during the Oscar campaign / ceremony. It could easily be an off hand comment about the hardest part being she was the only sober one in the room.

Or she's a lush.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Her Oscar win was the result of heavy campaigning. There was nothing spectacular about her performance.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post

I can understand her with this one. At my 10 year high school reunion I was about 34 weeks pregnant. HUGE boobs and gigantic belly (I wasn't one of those tiny pregnant ladies, I gained 40 lbs, mostly in my chest). We were all hanging out in a bar, everyone was having a great time, etc. I was sober as could be and really could have used a drink. I'm no lush, or alcoholic, but a martini or glass of wine would have been lovely. I'm naturally a bit quiet and a drink would have loosed me up more. So, I get it. Probably every party she went to everyone was drinking, except her. It is weird. How she describes it though makes her sound like strange.
    Sassiness and arie_skop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I can understand her with this one. At my 10 year high school reunion I was about 34 weeks pregnant. HUGE boobs and gigantic belly (I wasn't one of those tiny pregnant ladies, I gained 40 lbs, mostly in my chest). We were all hanging out in a bar, everyone was having a great time, etc. I was sober as could be and really could have used a drink. I'm no lush, or alcoholic, but a martini or glass of wine would have been lovely. I'm naturally a bit quiet and a drink would have loosed me up more. So, I get it. Probably every party she went to everyone was drinking, except her. It is weird. How she describes it though makes her sound like strange.
    I hear ya. I like to drink as much as the next gal, but a while back, I was taking some sober time and volunteered to be the designated driver to go see the Black Crowes in Atlanta (about 3 hours away.) Not ditching my friends by the side of the road on the way home is a miracle deserving of sainthood.
    dolem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Her Oscar win was the result of heavy campaigning. There was nothing spectacular about her performance.
    Kind of mediocre flick. Her win also didn't resulted in successful roles for her.
    BITTER likes this.
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    That performance was so overrated and didnt she lie about doing the dance routines?
    BITTER and snoopqueen like this.

Um, everyone is judgmental about how you look if you are an actress. Why pick on the French?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Thread Information