Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Elegant at 100: Gone With The Wind Olivia de Havilland celebrates milestone birthday

Default Elegant at 100: Gone With The Wind Olivia de Havilland celebrates milestone birthday

10:45 EST, 1 July 2016

Gone With The Wind's Olivia de Havilland, who turns 100 on Friday, has finally broken her silence on Hollywood's most famous sibling rivalry.

The actress is one of the last living remnants of Hollywood's Golden Age and has now disclosed her true feelings about her late sister Joan Fontaine, revealing that she calls her 'Dragon Lady.'

Posing on a chaise longue in a demure black dress in her Saint James Paris residence, the still-glamorous two-time Oscar winner quipped that only 'the pearls are fake,' before she agreed to answer more detailed questions via email - her preferred mode of communication because of her failing hearing and vision.

Though age-related macular degeneration has damaged her vision, the centenarian is still able to read black and white printed text clearly and answer written interview questions.

She climbs stairs every day in her luxurious Paris residence, and linked the secret to her longevity to three L's: 'love, laughter, and learning.'

Revisiting one of her most famous roles, de Havilland explained why she went for the role of Melanie Hamilton from Gone With The Wind, and not Scarlett O'Hara that many top actresses were vying for.

'Scarlett did not interest me as she epitomized the 'New Woman' who was self-sustaining, like myself. Melanie, on the other hand, was more traditional,' she explained.

'Most of all, I wanted to be part of Gone With The Wind as I sensed that the film would have a much longer life than others - perhaps as long as five years!' she quipped.

De Havilland has the City of Light to thank for happiness and calls Paris 'a marvelous development in my life.'

Since moving here in 1953, 'at the insistence' of her late husband, Frenchman Pierre Galante, she found no reason to return to the U.S. She has remained active with the American community here, centered around Paris' American Cathedral, who she said is made up of 'fascinating and worthwhile people.'

'By 1951, television had already made such inroads on the income garnered by motion picture companies that the Golden Era which had prevailed until then was beginning to disintegrate. And by 1953, it had come to an end. Hollywood was a dismal, tragic place,' she said.

'(Sexism) was a fact of life I simply had to accept. Men felt threatened and mistrustful of women who had good ideas, and one had to employ immense tact when dealing with directors and producers,' she said.
    'As to remuneration for one's work, women were resigned to receiving less financial compensation than a man for their work,' she said.

De Havilland was not resigned, however, to all the Hollywood ways of functioning.

The steely actress famously gave her name to a landmark legal ruling — the de Havilland law — after she took Warner Brothers to court in 1943 over a contract dispute and won, forever loosening the studios' grip on their actors and actresses.

'As soon as my victory was legally confirmed and I was free to choose the films that I made, Paramount presented me with the script of 'To Each His Own'... This was exactly the kind of challenge for which I fought that case,' she said with pride. De Havilland went on to win her first Academy Award for this role, a further vindication of her legal battle.

Looking back, de Havilland highlighted one of the main drawbacks of her unusual longevity.

'All the artists I had known during the Golden Era (live) elsewhere,' she said, 'including the after world.'

Read the whole article: Gone With The Wind's Olivia de Havilland breaks silence on the Golden Age of Hollywood's most famous sibling rivalry as she turns 100 | Daily Mail Online
    Last edited by azoria; July 1st, 2016 at 03:35 PM.

She looks so fantastic!
    sparkles, Mrs P, idunno and 5 others like this.

She has a beautiful face and her responses are so descriptive.
    idunno and Seapharris7 like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

She is also half of one of the best feuds in history, with her sister Joan Fontaine. Epic.

From their high school newspaper:
    “I bequeath to my sister [Joan] the ability to win boys’ hearts, which she does not have at present.”

Fontaine married de Havilland's ex boyfriend, Brian Aherne. Uh oh.

I love The Heiress. She's amazing in that.
    Seapharris7 and Kittylady like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

She looks absolutely fantastic and seems to be sharp of mind still, as well. Judging by the fact she's still a bit matronly, physically, I think she probably has quite a few years ahead of her. I've noticed as older people get closer to the end, no matter if they're still healthy, they tend to shrink not only in height, but in weight, too. She's totally right about the disadvantage of living to a very old age: you survive all your loved ones. I know my parents, who passed at 93 and 92, had (pretty much) survived all their siblings, including younger ones, and their friends.
    soogar, idunno, Mrs P and 1 others like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Personally, I always found Olivia more attractive than Vivien. Warm, mellow, intelligent eyes. I like the shape of her face, too. And a super-hot old lady. (Don't look at me that way!)

As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Still Beautiful and Elegant. The Heiress is one of my favorite movies Ever.

Last edited by Marmar2; July 1st, 2016 at 10:19 PM.
    msdeb likes this.

i loved her in The Heiress. She did a fantastic job (so did Montgomery Clift)
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'm watching Gone with the Wind right now , I love her in it
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Yay Olivia!!! You're a billion times more beautiful than Joan (never could stand her) and could act rings around her besides.

Gold Member

She's amazing.
    I'd hate to live to that age, though. My neighbour is in her late 90's and is mentally ready to go but her body isn't there yet. She's in good health, and thankful of it because it allows her to do things, but told me that she prays every night before bed that she won't wake up the next day. She's seen so many people she loved die (her parents, husband, every single one of her childhood friends, all but one of her siblings, her eldest daughter, several of her nieces and nephews, two of her grandchildren, one of her great-grandchildren and now her younger friends are all starting to go) and she's tired of it and thinks it's her turn. Apparently, it's at the stage where it's a good month if she isn't invited to a funeral. It's sad.
    HWBL likes this.

I also love love love her name. Olivia De Havilland. It sounds like you're floating on a cloud on a beautiful spring day.
    Bluebonnet, ADel, needmeds and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Sorry, but:
    Vivien Leigh was so gorgeous!
    was all I got here.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Did you know Vivien Leigh was voted 2nd most beautiful at her boarding school? #1 was Maureen O'Sullivan.
    Novice and Lofty Bike like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information