Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Justin Timberlake blasted for ignorance

fgg

Default Justin Timberlake blasted for ignorance

Justin Timberlake blasted for ignorance

Justin Timberlake is being blasted for responding to Jesse Williams’ acceptance speech about racial injustice at the BET Awards Sunday night.

The “Grey’s Anatomy” actor, 34, received the Humanitarian Award and was honored for his activism, including his work with Black Lives Matter. During his speech, Williams spoke about the state of black culture in the entertainment industry.

“This invention called whiteness uses and abuses us,” Williams said. “Burying black people out of sight and out of mind while extracting our culture, our dollars, our entertainment like oil — black gold, ghettoizing and demeaning our creations, then stealing them, gentrifying our genius and then trying us on like costumes before discarding our bodies like rinds of strange fruit.”

Timberlake, 35, commented on Williams’ words on Twitter, though the singer’s words ultimately sparked a wave of backlash.

“@iJesseWilliams tho…#Inspired #BET2016,” Timberlake wrote.

“Inspired you to do what? Continue to emulate black culture through your music while ignoring issues affecting black people,” one user replied.

“So does this mean you’re going to stop appropriating our music and culture? And apologize to Janet too. #BETAwards,” another commented.

The internet slammed the “Can’t Stop the Feeling” crooner for failing to use his platform to speak out on social issues, in addition to critiquing his actions following the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show, in which he exposed Janet Jackson‘s breast.

“Oh, you sweet soul,” Timberlake tweeted, “The more you realize that we are the same, the more we can have a conversation. Bye.”

As the negative feedback intensified, Timberlake took a moment to clarify his remarks.

“I feel misunderstood. I responded to a specific tweet that wasn’t meant to be a general response. I shouldn’t have responded anyway,” Timberlake wrote.

“I forget this forum sometimes … I was truly inspired by @iJesseWilliams speech because I really do feel that we are all one … A human race,” he continued.

Williams has yet to address Timberlake’s tweets.

Justin Timberlake blasted for ignorance | Page Six

LOL!!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

And apologize to Janet too.
    THIS!
    For me, he will forever be an asshole for playing the nice white guy card after that incident.

I don't like him but I think people overreacted to his original tweet.

“@iJesseWilliams tho…#Inspired #BET2016,” Timberlake wrote.

Is this the tweet? Maybe I'm ignorant but I don't get it.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Vouch.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

No one group owns a music. Timberlake is very influenced by many black musicians. He would be the first one to tell you that. But apparently, if a white person makes music that is influenced by black people, idiots come out of the woodwork to claim it's stealing or appropriating.

If a black person plays country music, does that in some way mean they are appropriating white culture?
    arie_skop likes this.

I thought he meant JesseWilliams's words were inspired, not that Justin Timberlake was personally inspired in some way by the speech.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    No one group owns a music. Timberlake is very influenced by many black musicians. He would be the first one to tell you that. But apparently, if a white person makes music that is influenced by black people, idiots come out of the woodwork to claim it's stealing or appropriating.

If a black person plays country music, does that in some way mean they are appropriating white culture?
    Remember Charley Pride (Damn, he was so handsome)? And there are many other black country singers who are making a positive contribution. Carl Ray, Darius Rucker, and Trini Triggs to name a few. CW has been locked into the country bumpkin/redneck/hillbilly white stereotype since the beginning. Someone forget to tell them it's origination came from blues incorporated with folk.
    Wisher likes this.

I don't care anything about Justin Timberlake, but he had the right to tweet his appreciation of the speech like everyone else. The criticism that I've read relates to his "appropriation" of some aspects of black music and dance without acknowledging the artists that he was appropriating from. Okay....people overreacted, but I don't like how he has become the focus of the story. I guess Jesse's words weren't sexy enough for the mainstream media to report on by themselves.
    Wisher likes this.

Well he momentarily forgot his Superbowl debacle. Or more like never owned up to it and it came back to bite him in the ass when he least expected it.

I don't think his initial tweet was malicious, tone deaf maybe. And where do you draw the line between appropriation and doing something because you love it?
    But yeah he should have shut up given the Janet incident.
    *DIVA! and bootspaige like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Remember Charley Pride (Damn, he was so handsome)? And there are many other black country singers who are making a positive contribution. Carl Ray, Darius Rucker, and Trini Triggs to name a few. CW has been locked into the country bumpkin/redneck/hillbilly white stereotype since the beginning. Someone forget to tell them it's origination came from blues incorporated with folk.
    I know that. It's just that nobody claims they steal anything. No one music belongs to any group of people. Most music has it's roots in several aspects of different styles of music.
    Wisher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    I don't care anything about Justin Timberlake, but he had the right to tweet his appreciation of the speech like everyone else. The criticism that I've read relates to his "appropriation" of some aspects of black music and dance without acknowledging the artists that he was appropriating from. Okay....people overreacted, but I don't like how he has become the focus of the story. I guess Jesse's words weren't sexy enough for the mainstream media to report on by themselves.

That is sadly true. If it wasn't for this thread here (and because I follow the Grey's Anatomy Fb group) I woul not even know that Jesse has said anything.
    Wisher likes this.

I know that. It's just that nobody claims they steal anything. No one music belongs to any group of people. Most music has it's roots in several aspects of different styles of music.
    You are absolutely right, but I still don't want to hear Chester Hanks rap.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    You are absolutely right, but I still don't want to hear Chester Hanks rap.
    Come on. Give the rich kid a break.

I think he would win you over, if he released a rap concept album based on Cast Away. He could call it....."The Wilson Chronicles Vol. 1. Spittin' dem bars.".
    Last edited by joebob; June 27th, 2016 at 06:29 PM.
    ConstanceSpry and Wisher like this.

The problem isn't white people singing "black" music. Teena Marie did that and everyone loved her. I still love her!

The problem is when the majority accepts something created by a minority, ignores where it originally came from and then pretends like they created it.

Black people also helped create the roots of country music, so they aren't "appropriating" it. They aren't taking it over and acting like white people didn't have a part in creating it. Black people are, for the most part, not a part of country music, a few celebs notwithstanding.

I think people overreacted to his tweet and I don't see Timberlake as appropriating black culture. I don't like him, but he's pretty honest about who his inspirations are and doesn't try to pretend like he created the genre he is currently successful in.
    idunno, BITTER, *DIVA! and 3 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information