Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolie appointed as professor at the London School of Economics

Default Angelina Jolie appointed as professor at the London School of Economics

She is an Oscar winning actress, a political campaigner and nowAngelina Jolie Pitt can add academic to her list of roles.
    The Hollywood star has been appointed a visiting professor at theLondon School of Economics (LSE), one of Britain's most prestigious universities.
    She will join former foreign secretary William Hague as a lecturer at the university's Centre for Women, Peace and Security where she will help to teach students studying for a Master's degree.

Jolie Pitt, who has been a goodwill ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency and is currently one of its special envoys, has been a vocal campaigner on refugee rights, and against the female genital mutilation and the use of rape as a weapon of war.

She said: "I am very encouraged by the creation of this master's programme. I hope other academic institutions will follow this example, as it is vital that we broaden the discussion on how to advance women's rights and end impunity for crimes that disproportionately affect women, such as sexual violence in conflict.
    "I am looking forward to teaching and to learning from the students as well as to sharing my own experiences of working alongside governments and the United Nations".

Lord Hague, who worked with Jolie-Pitt on hosting a four-day summit on ending sexual violence in war in London two years ago, said he was "delighted" to be appointed.
    He said: "This course will help underpin our work in preventing sexual violence in conflict, developing expertise and research to assist us in tackling the culture of impunity. I look forward to working with the LSE students and my fellow visiting professors."
    The one year course will include modules on Women, Peace and Security, Gender and Militarisation and Gender and Human Rights.
    Jolie-Pitt has recently been vocal about the refugee crisis, and the failure of European governments to address it.

Speaking as part of the BBC's World on the Move day of coverage of global migration issues earlier this month, the 40-year-old actress and humanitarian warned against a growing politics of fear.
    “Fear of uncontrolled migration has eroded public confidence and the ability of governments and international institutions to control the situation,” she said. “It has given space to a false air of legitimacy to those who promote politics of fear and separation”.
    “It has created the risk of a race to the bottom with countries competing to be the toughest in the hope of protecting themselves whatever the cost or challenge to their neighbours, and despite their international responsibilities,“ she added.
    She also warned against policies of isolationism, saying that no country can seal itself from the repercussions of the migrant crisis. “If your neighbour's house is on fire you are not safe if you lock your doors. Strength lies in being unafraid,“ she said.

Angelina Jolie appointed as professor at the London School of Economics | People | News | The Independent

Is she truly qualified for this position? What is her level of education? What is her knowledge of pedagogy? Does she have the ability to critically assess students' work?

Sounds like she's way over her head.

I have a doctorate and have been in my profession for 10 years. I cannot get a job as an adjunct because I haven't published anything, yet this woman (who I don't believe even has earned a college degree) can be a professor at an elite school?

Yeah, ok
    arie_skop, holly, Mrs P and 9 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Is she taking her leg

Sounds like another way she can get attention and stroke her own ego. I agree that it seems a shame someone with skewed experiences and probably very little higher education would be teaching in this position. I mean bringing awareness to refugees and the migrant crisis is one thing and I do think she probably has a pretty good idea what she's talking about, but this is a whole different job from shooting movies and traveling the world with some UN work squeezed in. I guess she's just lecturing though...big whoop.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Ka-Ching for the university.
    arie_skop and Belt Up like this.

I guess she's Dr. Angie now rather than Saint Angie.
    arie_skop likes this.

I'm all for it.
    When you've got celebs like The Kardashians using the limelight peddling what? Trashy looks and clothes?
    Here you've got Angie using her limelight (and money) to travel and raise awareness for rights and safety.

She may not have the qualifications and experience but she isn't totally without any since she has put in her time and effort with UN work and most importantly, her heart is in the right place.

Yup... I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    Is she truly qualified for this position? What is her level of education? What is her knowledge of pedagogy? Does she have the ability to critically assess students' work?

Sounds like she's way over her head.
    I read it as she'll give a lecture or two on the subject, but she's not running the classroom. So her people will write a speech and she'll deliver it. No other skills required.
    czb, Mrs P, sluce and 8 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I read it as she'll give a lecture or two on the subject, but she's not running the classroom. So her people will write a speech and she'll deliver it. No other skills required.
    Makes a lot more sense. They call that a "Professor"? Talk about job title inflation, on par with calling a janitor a sanitation engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I have a doctorate and have been in my profession for 10 years. I cannot get a job as an adjunct because I haven't published anything, yet this woman (who I don't believe even has earned a college degree) can be a professor at an elite school?

Yeah, ok
    Yes, I was under the impression you need a doctorate and published articles to be a professor, especially at a leading college.

Though I am assuming she will be a 'guest lecturer' or special guest speaker. I can't imagine Angelina Jolie preparing the course curriculum, writing papers, and marking assessments etc

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Ka-Ching for the university.
    Yes! Good way to attract more students (and money)

My,how far can a high school dropout go!!!!!These titles.along with Nobel prices mean nothing nowadays..
    arie_skop, Mrs P and Deutsche like this.

She is a guest lecturer, not a professor. I believe this is wonderful! Her name will attract more to the course where they will learn about this serious topic, but may have never taken the course otherwise. The more people we educate on Women'Issues, Peace and Security, Gender and Militarisation and Gender and Human Rights, the better.

I have been and adjunct at a local university, and it sucks. Lots of work, very little pay.
    Last edited by sluce; May 24th, 2016 at 07:37 PM.
    gas_chick, *DIVA!, SHELLEE and 7 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    She is a guest lecturer, not a professor. I believe this is wonderful! He name will attract more to the course where they will learn about this serious topic, but may have never taken the course otherwise. The more people we educate on Women'Issues, Peace and Security, Gender and Militarisation and Gender and Human Rights, the better.

I have been and adjunct at a local university, and it sucks. Lots of work, very little pay.
    well, it says 'visiting professor', but yeah, agree that it is going to be more like intermittent lecturer.

i've also lectured at a local university, it looks good on a CV but is more work than bucks. *shrugs*
    sluce and panic like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information