Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Woody Allen faces ‘joke’ comparing him to Polanski during Cannes opening

Default Woody Allen faces ‘joke’ comparing him to Polanski during Cannes opening

Woody Allen faces ‘joke’ comparing him to Polanski during Cannes opening

I said yesterday that Ronan Farrow had ensured that there would be an asterisk following around Woody Allen’s appearance at Cannes this year, and that’s absolutely what happened. Ronan’s Hollywood Reporter op-ed was published mid-morning EST, which meant it dropped basically in the middle of the press conference for Café Society at Cannes. The NYT’s Cannes correspondent noted that they were only aware of Ronan’s op-ed after the press conference, and that no reporter asked Woody any questions about Dylan Farrow. But of course some reporter did ask Woody if he would ever consider writing a movie with an older woman-younger man love story, since all of his films seem to have very young women falling for much older men.

Woody Allen, lifestyle guru? The 69th annual Cannes Film Festival opens Wednesday night with the director’s latest film, “Café Society,” a bicoastal romp set in Hollywood and New York in the 1930s. At a news conference earlier Wednesday, Mr. Allen was asked his views on romance, fame, casting, and how he keeps fit on the set at age 80. He was not, however, asked anything about accusations of sexual abuse by his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow. Wednesday’s news conference, with journalists from around the world, covered lighter ground and captured the generally adoring reception the director has gotten in Europe.
    He was asked whether it was physically harder for him to make films. “I’m so youthful, agile, nimble, spry, mentally alert, that it’s astonishing,” he said, adding, “I eat well, I exercise.” His father lived past 100, he said, and his mother to nearly 100. “What it is, is luck,” he said. (The director wears hearing aids and sometimes couldn’t hear the questions.)
    Mr. Allen said he was a romantic, raised on Hollywood movies. After so many films with love affairs between an older man and a younger woman, Mr. Allen was asked if he would ever consider making a film with a romance between, say, a 50-something woman and a 20-something man. That, he said, would be “a perfectly valid comic idea,” but it wasn’t really his field. “I just don’t have any material,” he said. “I don’t have anything really to draw on. But I wouldn’t hesitate if I had a good story.”
    [From The NY Times]

After the Café Society premiere last night, Woody and the cast attended the opening night ceremony, and the MC, Laurent Lafitte, made a “rape joke” about Woody. That’s not my characterization of it, that’s how it’s being reported, that there was a “rape joke.” Judge for yourselves:

Laurent Lafitte, a French comedian and the master of ceremonies at the opening night of the Cannes Film Festival, on Wednesday night caused gasps with a comment about festival favorite Woody Allen before the premiere of Cafe Society.
    While addressing Allen, the master of ceremonies said: “You’ve shot so many of your films here in Europe and yet in the U.S. you haven’t even been convicted of rape.”
    Attendees took the comment as a reference to Roman Polanski, who lives and works in Europe, escaping the U.S.’ bid for extradition from Poland for charges dating back to the 1970s related to having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl.
    [From THR]

Is the Polanski comparison apt or not? Was this joke wrong? Even though the joke made me cringe, I like the fact that the MC felt bold enough to make some kind of reference – the first and only g—damn reference thus far during the festival – to Woody’s situation.

Photos courtesy of WENN.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Woody Allen faces ‘joke’ comparing him to Polanski during Cannes opening

Blake Lively hated that ‘rape joke’ directed at Woody Allen: It’s ‘not a joke’

After Blake Lively walked the red carpet for the Cannes Opening Night premiere of Café Society, she changed into this black Salvatore Ferragamo coatdress which probably left feathers all over the place. The Ferragamo look was for the Opening Night ceremony, the one where the MC made a “rape joke” comparing Woody Allen to Roman Polanski. Blake has been doing interviews and promotional work today, and she was asked about her reaction to the joke and more. Blake was not a fan.

Over a lunch for Woody Allen’s latest movie “Café Society,” Blake Lively criticized the Cannes Film Festival for allowing a controversial rape joke about Woody Allen to be part of the opening night ceremony.
    “I think any jokes about rape, homophobia or Hitler is not a joke,” Lively said on Thursday when asked about the incident by a Variety reporter. “I think that was a hard thing swallow in 30 seconds. Film festivals are such a beautiful, respectful festivals of film and artists and to have that, it felt like it wouldn’t have happened if it was in the 1940s. I can’t imagine Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby going out and doing that. It was more disappointing for the artists in the room that someone was going up there making jokes about something that wasn’t funny.”
    “But it wasn’t just Woody,” Lively said of the material. “He made three homophobic comments in a row. A Hitler joke. And a rape joke. It was all within 30 seconds … What on Earth was happening? It was really confusing.”
    When asked by Vulture’s Kyle Buchanan about the Ronan Farrow essay published yesterday in the Hollywood Reporter about how the media hadn’t responded appropriately to rape allegations brought by his sister Dylan Farrow against their father Woody Allen, Lively said that she hadn’t read the piece yet.
    “I came home and went to bed at whatever time we finished,” Lively said. “I haven’t been in it, so I don’t want to speak on something I haven’t read. I think that’s dangerous. It’s definitely something that being at the festival, the media these days, you come to a film festival about film and people talk about all different types of things. You know? That can be definitely tricky to navigate, I’m sure. I don’t want to speak about something I haven’t read.”
    [From Page Six]

While I applauded the MC for being the only person at the Cannes Film Festival to dare to even mention the accusations against Woody Allen, I also think Blake has a point about how it might not be the right moment and venue to make light of such a serious topic and issue. Now, that being said, Blake can’t have it both ways. She can’t slam the only person throwing shade at Woody Allen and shrug off the issues Ronan Farrow’s essay raised. If rape and child molestation shouldn’t be joked about, then it’s not something that can be ignored either, especially in the context of promoting a Woody Allen film. This is exactly why Ronan Farrow wrote his essay – he wanted the actors of Café Society to go on the record about why they chose to work with Woody. Ronan wanted to shame journalists into asking those uncomfortable questions, which is what the journalists should have been doing the whole time.

Photos courtesy of WENN.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Blake Lively hated that ‘rape joke’ directed at Woody Allen: It’s ‘not a joke’
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I like Corey Stoll. Fuck Woody.
    kasippu likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I like Corey Stoll.
    Me, too. I'd never heard of the guy until I watched this Liam Neeson movie ("Non-stop") where Neeson is doing is usual misunderstood-vengeful-ex-cop thing, and he punches Corey Stoll right in the nose.

I think it's really insulting to Soon-Yi, as I assume she does have agency and could have left/could leave him whenever she wants.
    Though I wonder sometimes if she's forbidden to wear make-up! Damn woman, that face needs something.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Me, too. I'd never heard of the guy until I watched this Liam Neeson movie ("Non-stop") where Neeson is doing is usual misunderstood-vengeful-ex-cop thing, and he punches Corey Stoll right in the nose.
    Ok, now I have to see this Liam Neeson movie.

He resonated for me in This Is Where I Leave You and The Normal Heart as the homophobic White House official. He's very good.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

He resonated for me in This Is Where I Leave You and The Normal Heart as the homophobic White House official. He's very good.
    Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about him in "This is Where I Leave You"! He was the uptight older brother who shares a doobie with Jason Bateman and Adam Driver.
    bootspaige and BITTER like this.

Blake had quite a few negative comments on her Instagram of people commenting that she supports a rapist/pedophile.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

He also played Elijah's love interest in last season's Girls. I kept trying to remember where I knew him from.
    Annika and BITTER like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Mr. Allen said he was a romantic, raised on Hollywood movies. After so many films with love affairs between an older man and a younger woman, Mr. Allen was asked if he would ever consider making a film with a romance between, say, a 50-something woman and a 20-something man. That, he said, would be “a perfectly valid comic idea,” but it wasn’t really his field. “I just don’t have any material,” he said. “I don’t have anything really to draw on. But I wouldn’t hesitate if I had a good story.”
    You know things are bad when one of the world's most acclaimed writer/directors, who has made like 100 movies, can't even creatively visualize a scenario where a guy dates a woman who is actually older than him.
    BITTER, Brah, Kittylady and 3 others like this.

Corey Stoll was fantastic in House of Cards.

On a side note, I love Soon-Yi's dress. I would totally wear that.
    BelledeJour likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You know things are bad when one of the world's most acclaimed writer/directors, who has made like 100 movies, can't even creatively visualize a scenario where a guy dates a woman who is actually older than him.
    interesting that he calls it a perfectly valid comic idea.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Blake had quite a few negative comments on her Instagram of people commenting that she supports a rapist/pedophile.
    People need to shut up. She did no such thing.

It is painfully obvious that she is dumb as wood though.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

he's also in The Strain
    gas_chick likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I think that was a hard thing swallow in 30 seconds
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information