Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Anna Wintour banned parsley, onion, garlic & bruschetta from the Met Gala

Default Anna Wintour banned parsley, onion, garlic & bruschetta from the Met Gala

Anna Wintour banned parsley, onion, garlic & bruschetta from the Met Gala

Every year, there’s a comedown after the Oscars have wrapped and the awards season is finally over. It’s a hectic time for fashion/celebrity people and everyone needs a break. But then May rolls around and suddenly we get the Met Gala, which has – in my opinion – overtaken the Oscars for the position of “the most important fashion event of the year.” And most of that is due to Anna Wintour. While the Met Gala has always been popular, over the past 10 years, it just gets bigger and bigger and more significant. I personally love to cover the Met Gala photos – there’s no four-hour awards show to watch, there’s no “campaign” to win anything. It’s purely about fashion and it’s really fun. That is, it’s fun to watch from a distance. For last year’s Met Gala, Anna Wintour allowed documentary cameras to follow her and her team around as they prepared for the gala. The result is the documentary called The First Monday In May. The first trailer came out in February:

As you can see, organizing the annual event is a hectic pain in the ass. Ahead of the premiere of the film at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 13th, the New York Post has done a preview of what we’ll see in the doc. It’s a great read – go here for the full piece. There’s a lot of shade and a lot of drama. Most of the juiciest quotes come from Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, Vogue’s head of events. Some highlights:

Wintour picks up garbage. Wolkoff says: “We’d be in our gowns and picking up tables and sweeping the floors . . . if there’s garbage on the floor. Anna does that, too.”

No parsley. One former Vogue employee tells The Post that Wintour banned parsley from being served at the party “because you don’t want that stuck in your teeth.” Same goes for onion and garlic (bad breath) and appetizers like bruschetta (“It can fall easily on your gown,” says the source).

The seating arrangements are like high school. At one point in the documentary, Anna and her staff are complaining about a particularly bad table with Anna saying there’s “no celeb” at it and she’s told there’s only “Chloë Sevigny and Solange Knowles.” Ha. Later, Sevigny looks disappointed with her table assignment and tells the camera, “Just like high school.”

Cellphones are banned. One Vogue employee says: “Anna is sort of an old-school traditionalist. She likes a dinner party where people are actually speaking to each other.” She explains that the staff subtly monitors phone usage. “We aren’t sitting over people’s shoulders, but if it’s an obvious thing we might gently remind them.”

Rihanna asked for so much money. Rihanna performed at last year’s Met Gala and she “demanded a performance budget twice as much as any past artist, a big money matter that was turned over to Wintour to handle. (No one interviewed would reveal how much Rihanna ended up costing.)”
    [From The New York Post]

There’s also a story about how Wolkoff had a C-section two months before the Met Gala several years back and she “popped her stitches” as she was racing up the stairs. Ugh. Anyway, all of this information does not surprise me in the least. Of course fashion people are bitchy high school girls and of course everything is hyper-organized and of course there’s no parsley.
    This year’s Met Gala is being held on May 2 and the theme is “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology.” I imagine that will mean a lot of robot-like fashion? Metallics? I have no idea. But I’m really excited about this year’s Met Gala because of the co-chairs: Taylor Swift and Idris Elba. I am SO looking forward to Idris being a big part of this year’s gala.

Photos courtesy of Getty, WENN.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Anna Wintour banned parsley, onion, garlic & bruschetta from the Met Gala
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I am seeing this on Friday night! A friend invited me, and briefly described the story, but now I am more excited. The person who invited me is a Professor of film studies. He remarked that it appears they have overlooked a conversation about how fashion is made in China, by children.

https://www.landmarktheatres.com/the...lmmaker-letter
    The First Monday in May

by director Andrew Rossi

In making The First Monday in May, I was drawn to the opportunity of filming with Vogue editor Anna Wintour and being able to revisit the mythology that surrounds her. I admit that when we first met I was surprised at how personable and forthright she appeared, because the legend from depictions like The Devil Wears Prada had led me to expect a cold and intimidating character. But she was far from that in our meeting, and I knew that I wanted to make a film that would, to some degree, unpack the Anna Wintour mythology.

During the several months of shooting I found it interesting to see Anna so engaged in the creative aspects of putting the Met Gala together, her attention to detail, her sense of the chemistry with everyone invited, how the party reflects the Costume Institute exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It’s a very creative process and I think she may be viewed as more of a manager or producer, but from what we see in the film, I think she is as committed to a creative vision as to the commercial end. And as a person, she’s a human being. She’s neither the “dragon” nor the “devil” that gets bandied about in the media. Yes, she is a very exacting boss and she does not shy away from conflict; we see that very emphatically in the film. But I think that, as Baz Luhrmann suggests in the movie, when that behavior is exhibited by a male CEO there’s very little focus on that as a problem or something out of the ordinary.

Most of the films I have directed go behind the scenes of institutions that seem impenetrable from the outside. For example, with Page One I looked at The New York Times and with Ivory Tower we went on the ground at schools ranging from Harvard to Arizona State, and more broadly throughout higher education. I’m interested in understanding the mission of an institution as it plays out in the journeys of individuals who comprise the place. Hopefully, in the humanity of someone who represents the organization we might come to understand more deeply why the institution occupies a vaunted or contested role in our society, and whether that position is warranted or not. So when I had the opportunity to go inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art I was thrilled at the notion of understanding why, as a society, we have museums, what their functions are and how we decide what qualifies as the “art” that entitles an object to be inside the hallowed museum walls.

The exhibition we followed was “China: Through the Looking Glass,” which presented a fascinating context in which to see how fashion is not just about making clothes. Instead, in the show we see how designers have interpreted Chinese visual symbols to create a fantasy version of Chinese iconography, which they freely manipulate in terms of the fabrics chosen, silhouettes created and visual motifs employed. The designers take an idea about Chinese culture and totally transform it into an original work, so it really shows how the creative process in fashion can be an artistic process creating a work of art.

But there are also fascinating conversations here about how the designers are taking ideas about Chinese culture that have been passed on through film and other sources that come not only from Asia but from Western authors, many of whom have created movies or artwork that has embedded in it racial stereotypes. So that also opens up the question of whether the designer or indeed the curator of the show has an obligation to address those stereotypes and, at a minimum, flag them and try to unpack them.

Ultimately, this film has multiple layers, both in its approach to its subjects and in the subjects’ efforts themselves. I hope this comes through for audiences in a revealing and compelling way.
    panic likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

There’s also a story about how Wolkoff had a C-section two months before the Met Gala several years back and she “popped her stitches” as she was racing up the stairs
    She wouldn't have (or shouldn't have) stitches 2 months after a c-section; I believe most docs use staples these days, and those suckers are removed 7-10 days after the c-section. Normal recovery for c/s is 8 weeks, so if this was 2 months after hers, she would have most likely already been cleared by her doctor to work. Sorry, don't know why this in particular stood out for me...
    Honeythorn, redcat, sluce and 3 others like this.

Some people are fascinating in their shallowness. Not Wintour. I opened this item only because it had food in the subject line.

Alternate headline: Parsley, Onion, Garlic & Bruschetta ban Anna Wintour from all respectable dining establishments
    panic and Bombshell like this.

The food bans make sense in the context of a bunch of famous people being photographed all night in fabulous gowns.
    Tati, czb, hustle4alivin and 5 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

This sounds like an occasion to avoid.
    SHELLEE likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I never thought that Anna Wintour was the devil that some people try to portray her to be. She seems like someone who knows what she wants and exactly how it should be done. Like her or hate her, she's definitely a brand unto herself and she's fully aware of it and knows there are certain standards and expectations that people have for her and American Vogue. I agree if she was a male, no one would really say a damn thing.
    bootspaige, Tati, Beeyotch and 5 others like this.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Elite Member

She used to be all about fashion, which I respected. Now she's all about celebrity, which I do not.
    panic, holly and darksithbunny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    She wouldn't have (or shouldn't have) stitches 2 months after a c-section; I believe most docs use staples these days, and those suckers are removed 7-10 days after the c-section. Normal recovery for c/s is 8 weeks, so if this was 2 months after hers, she would have most likely already been cleared by her doctor to work. Sorry, don't know why this in particular stood out for me...
    Maybe they mean the stitches in the clothing.
    mostlylurking likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^Doesn't make sense that they would mention her c-section if that's the case...
    holly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Some people are fascinating in their shallowness. Not Wintour. I opened this item only because it had food in the subject line.
    You and me both.
    Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    I never thought that Anna Wintour was the devil that some people try to portray her to be. She seems like someone who knows what she wants and exactly how it should be done. Like her or hate her, she's definitely a brand unto herself and she's fully aware of it and knows there are certain standards and expectations that people have for her and American Vogue. I agree if she was a male, no one would really say a damn thing.
    I was always meh about her, but I agree with you. That is until she put Kuntrashian and Kumye on the cover of Vogue.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Maybe they mean the stitches in the clothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^Doesn't make sense that they would mention her c-section if that's the case...
    if you go to the article in the link, she's quoted as saying she popped her c-section stitches two weeks after giving birth, not two months. celebitchy can't even paraphrase correctly.
    holly, twitchy2.0, sluce and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If I had a big gala to organize where people are wearing expensive dresses and getting photographed in high res, I would definitely also pick food that is easy to eat and doesn't risk staining clothes and teeth.
    She is doing a favour to the celebrities attending the event, IMHO.

(Also, bruschetta isn't exactly the kind of food you'd serve at a gala anyway)
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

I wonder what would be the all-time worst food for her to serve? I'm thinking poppyseed tacos, with shredded beef and topped with a limburger cheese and blueberry salsa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information