Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Is Robert De Niro an anti-vaxxer?

Elite Member

Default Is Robert De Niro an anti-vaxxer?

Maybe.

Robert De Niro Defends Anti-Vax Film Screening at Tribeca; Says It Will Allow for 'Conversation'

Actor Robert De Niro, who cofounded the Tribeca Film Festival, has released a statement about the anti-vaccination film by former doctor Andrew Wakefield. Vaxxed is set to screen during the festival, and DeNiro’s statement suggests that he personally supports its inclusion.

De Niro and his ex-wife Grace have a son, Elliot, who has autism. De Niro says in his statement that while he is not “anti-vaccination,” he believes it’s important that “all of the issues surrounding the causes of autism be openly discussed and examined.”
    Wakefield authored a study implicitly suggesting a link between vaccines and autism, which was retracted in 2010, the same year Wakefield was stripped of his medical license.
    Here’s De Niro’s full statement:
    “Grace and I have a child with autism and we believe it is critical that all of the issues surrounding the causes of autism be openly discussed and examined. In the 15 years since the Tribeca Film Festival was founded, I have never asked for a film to be screened or gotten involved in the programming. However this is very personal to me and my family and I want there to be a discussion, which is why we will be screening VAXXED. I am not personally endorsing the film, nor am I anti-vaccination; I am only providing the opportunity for a conversation around the issue.”
    Tribeca has been roundly criticized since Vaxxed appeared on the schedule. Filmmaker Penny Lane, a Sundance Award winner, wrote an open letter criticizing the film festival for “perpetuating Wakefield’s fraud.” Tribeca issued a statement saying they are “a forum, not a judge,” an argument Lane found unconvincing:
    Here is the problem with your statement: it assumes that Vaxxed is just like any other film taking on an unpopular, controversial or provocative subject. It is not. There is a big difference between advocacy and fraud, between point of view and deception. For you to claim there is no difference helps to perpetuate Wakefield’s fraud.
    Also, it is disingenuous for you to claim you are not a “judge.” You are literally judging when you choose a film, from thousands of submissions, to screen under your banner.
    Tribeca has a list of all the “social issue” films that are screening during the festival; interestingly, Vaxxed is not among them:
    But he certainly doesn't want the public to think so.

Tribeca Film Festival, Robert De Niro Announce They're Pulling Anti-Vax Film From Schedule

After reaping a whirlwind of controversy over the past few days surrounding the screening of a film by anti-vaccination ex-doctor Andrew Wakefield, the Tribeca Film Festival says it will no longer be shown. Robert De Niro, Tribeca’s co-founder, released a statement Saturday afternoon announcing its cancellation.
    The inclusion of Vaxxed proved immediately controversial for Tribeca; Wakefield claims there is a link between the MMR vaccine and autism, and that the CDC is engaged in a coverup, ignoring that the MMR vaccine increases autism rates, especially among African-American boys. (Vaccines, for the billionth time, do not cause autism and despite Wakefield’s claims, there’s no proof that the CDC is engaged in a vast coverup.)
    Just yesterday, De Niro defended screening Vaxxed, saying it would promote “conversation.” A day later, per his statement, he has changed his mind:
    “My intent in screening this film was to provide an opportunity for conversation around an issue that is deeply personal to me and my family. But after reviewing it over the past few days with the Tribeca Film Festival team and others from the scientific community, we do not believe it contributes to or furthers the discussion I had hoped for.
    The Festival doesn’t seek to avoid or shy away from controversy. However, we have concerns with certain things in this film that we feel prevent us from presenting it in the Festival program. We have decided to remove it from our schedule.”
    The link to Vaxxed on the Tribeca website, whose comments section devolved into an argument about vaccine efficacy, is now dead. Wakefield has yet to comment on the film being pulled; his last public post, on Facebook, urged his followers to thank Tribeca for screening the film.
    AgentOrange likes this.

I don't take that to mean he is anti-vax, but that he encourages a dialogue. A true test would be to see if he would include film showing that autism is more likely when a child is born to an older father???
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I don't take that to mean he is anti-vaxxer, but that he encourages a dialogue. A true test would be to see if he would include film showing that autism is more likely when a child is born to an older father???
    Unfortunately "encouraging dialogue" in this case can only hurt considering Wakefield was exposed as a fraud and his study retracted due to a) not having scientific basis and b) being done for personal gain.
    This isn't a matter of opinions. It's like debating that the Earth is flat, only in this case not vaccinating children kills children and is bringing back illnesses we had removed.
    I understand how DeNiro wants to push people to talk about Autism, but this is the wrong way.
    (Source for my claims: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...096-0/abstract)

There are many resources out there about autism, it would have been a lot more helpful to give those space rather than allow a criminal to carry on damaging people.
    idunno, tulip, fuzuoko and 12 others like this.

Elite Member

^^ Very well said. I'm glad it was pulled. Never should have accepted it in the first place.

The sad thing with documentaries is they don't tend to "promote conversation" -- people tend to believe what they see/hear without ever looking beyond the source. There are always two sides to every story.
    GRuser1 and Wisher like this.

Can we please do away with the idea that every stupid idea has to be aired for the sake of "fairness" and to show "there's two sides to every story?" There's not. Facts exist. Vaccines don't cause autism. They never did. Just like there are no "two sides" to the Holocaust - it happened. I hate the modern trend of "feels are real" where people think their uninformed personal anecdotes deserve to be treated more seriously than the scientific method and verifiable facts. It's the Invasion of the Special Snowflakes.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I tried to post this a few days ago, before they decided to pull the documentary. I don't have a problem with encouraging conversation regarding the safety of vaccines, the problem with this is Wakefield. He's claiming that there is vetted, scientific proof in this movie that proves vaccinations cause autism. This is a guy who can't practice medicine and has been proven to be a fraud. He apparently wants to shout his proof from the mountain tops, but no one will listen to him or give him the platform to discuss his findings because the government and media are in cahoots to keep him silent.

What is the governments goal in all of this? Why in the world would they want to continue to poison children and cause them to have devastating neurodevelopment disorders? Really, that just doesn't make sense. Are doctors really profiting that much from administering vaccinations that they are willing to murder children or cause them to be severely disabled? Or are we to believe that the doctors are somehow all less intelligent than Wakefield and his supporters? That they are unable to interpret research data, but the average anti-vaxxer without a medical or scientific background is somehow able to?

The other problem with this is that people are going to watch a documentary that states vaccines cause autism and take it as gospel truth. More people not vaccinating.

There are always two sides, even if one is way off base. It is still important to educate people by allowing them to see both sides, and make an educated decision. It helps when we understand what drives the other side. Silencing a side because it doesn't fit our own narrative is closed minded and harmful. Special snowflakes has no place in this discussion.
    Last edited by sluce; March 27th, 2016 at 01:41 PM.
    sputnik, witchcurlgirl and Wisher like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

If you believe the profit conspiracy, then the government would be promoting AGAINST vaccines. Vaccines prevent many longterm and severe illnesses in children - who thinks there's a bigger profit off the occasional vaccine than there would be for hospitals and Big Pharma to keep kids constantly sick and in need of tons of meds.

Elite Member

^^ Thank you sluce -- that is what I was trying to get at. There are always more than one side to a story even if the other side is completely off base. Most documentaries only show one side and present it as truth. Facts may very well be on the producers/directors side, but unless you take the time to find out why they produced the film and who they might be affiliated with and what the facts truly are you can't take a documentary at face value as the end-all and be-all on the subject. Most people will not take the time to go beyond what they see. They won't start a conversation. They will make up their mind.

I do agree that we shouldn't silence the "other" side, but with this issue, there has been so much damage done already. People do not want to believe that we still don't know what causes autism. They want an answer. I am glad this movie wasn't shown. Wakefield is such a quack and all he is trying to do is salvage his own damaged reputation. They should stick him, Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carrey and Donald Trump on a sinking ship into a devastating hurricane so we would never have to hear their crap again.

The other side isn't being "silenced." It's been heard and discredited, over and over again.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    Unfortunately "encouraging dialogue" in this case can only hurt considering Wakefield was exposed as a fraud and his study retracted due to a) not having scientific basis and b) being done for personal gain.
    This isn't a matter of opinions. It's like debating that the Earth is flat, only in this case not vaccinating children kills children and is bringing back illnesses we had removed.
    I understand how DeNiro wants to push people to talk about Autism, but this is the wrong way.
    (Source for my claims: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...096-0/abstract)

There are many resources out there about autism, it would have been a lot more helpful to give those space rather than allow a criminal to carry on damaging people.
    you forgot c) - wakefield FORGED data.

if he forged data in a clinical study, i have no doubt that he put lies in his movie. i agree that there are two sides to a story, but this guy just pisses me off.
    GRuser1 and CL** like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    The other side isn't being "silenced." It's been heard and discredited, over and over again.
    ...and yet, people STILL believe it. People believe what they want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    ...and yet, people STILL believe it. People believe what they want to believe.
    To me, that's is what's so dangerous about this movie. When people see a documentary they often think that what they are hearing is the truth. That some whistleblower is spilling the beans and exposing us to the truth that has been hidden. Especially when they see the press release from the Tribeca Film Festival stating that the film "confirms what millions of devastated parents and 'discredited' doctors have long suspected - vaccines do cause autism." Granted, one should not get their medical advice from a movie, even one that's being shown at a renowned film festival. I guess showing it there sort of gives it some legitimacy or something.

I feel like I get so aggravated by this because I was one of these people. I was so worried about vaccinations that I could have really been putting my child at risk. I vaccinated, but very slowly. I cherry-picked the one's that I felt to be most necessary. It scares the shit out of me to think that I was so stupid. The reason I was so worried was because all I would hear is how there was no safe vaccination, that I was giving my child a little dose of autism every time we went to the doctor to get a shot. The craziest voice is often the loudest.
    tulip, GRuser1, Beeyotch and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    There are always two sides, even if one is way off base. It is still important to educate people by allowing them to see both sides, and make an educated decision. It helps when we understand what drives the other side. Silencing a side because it doesn't fit our own narrative is closed minded and harmful. Special snowflakes has no place in this discussion.
    this.
    i think pulling the movie and caving to the outrage was a stupid move. Censorship is never the right call and pulling this will only make people think the movie is "dangerous" and/or give the anti vaxxer conspiracy nuts ammunition. Anyone who wants to see this should be able to and anyone with half a brain will realise the movie is full of shit. But puling it from the line up does more harm than good.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 27th, 2016 at 10:16 PM.
    sluce, mostroop and witchcurlgirl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The truth is that there is no longer any justification for discussing Wakefield's claims that the MMR vaccine causes Autism. It doesn't, and the science backs up this fact. I do not have time for anyone who wants to "debate" this issue with me or have a "conversation" with me about it. I'm too busy taking care of my son with Asperger's to show any "anti vaxxeers" an iota of patience regarding their dangerous delusions.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information