Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: John Goodman on his awkward Kristen Wiig encounter, and other thoughts

Default John Goodman on his awkward Kristen Wiig encounter, and other thoughts

John Goodman on his awkward Kristen Wiig encounter: 'I'll never speak to her again'

John Goodman was the big guest on today's Howard Stern Show, and the sleepy-voiced Roseanne icon was endearing, forthright and never less than real throughout. During the sit-down he opened up about his struggles with alcoholism, related feeling like an outsider on the Hollywood scene and, hilariously, forgot not only the name of his 10 Cloverfield Lane co-star Mary Elizabeth Winstead but the title of the 1999 film he made with Martin Scorsese. Also: why he feels he let SNL down during his last guest-hosting appearance. Here are all the highlights from the chat.

His attempt at conversation with Kristen Wiig at a social gathering didn't go well.

"She was talking to somebody else, and I was just -- I think she's so great, and the social barriers broke down and I interrupted the conversation. And I would just hate for somebody to do that to me. And she goes, 'yeah, I'll talk to you in a minute.' [makes sound of bomb dropping] It was like the Atom. I shrunk down to Atom size. ...I really like her, and it was embarrassing, so I'll never speak to her again."

He feels he let SNL down during his last hosting appearance (he's hosted a total of 13 times).

"The last time I hosted was two years ago -- and I felt every week of [my] 62 years. I just -- I ran out of gas. I was in every sketch, I had to do all the pre-tapes, and I couldn't develop -- I didn't bring much to the party, I'll say that much. I just -- it's the first time I felt I let 'em down. ...I ran out of gas between the dress rehearsal and the actual show. ...I had a bottle of, what do they all it, the 5 Hour Energy drink, and I didn't want to do that because I didn't want to be too nervous. But I should have taken it."

That said, he would host again in a heartbeat. "Yeah, absolutely," he told Howard. "I love it over there."

He feels the 1988 camping comedy The Wrong Guys co-starring Louie Anderson, Richard Lewis, Richard Belzer and Tim Thomerson was one of the worst movies he ever made.

"You know, I did a movie with Belzer, with Rich Lewis, Louie Anderson...they went on a camping trip like they were Boy Scouts. ...we had a premiere and we all went to see it and Belzer's face was just like a mask of horror."

He used to have a habit of drinking on set.

"I was drunk a couple of times during [The Big] Lebowski...That's something I swore I'd never do in my life is drink at work. And then that -- on Roseanne I started doing that."

His Monuments Men co-star Bill Murray got up to the predictable hijinks while filming.

"I tried to hang with them, but [Monuments Men co-stars] Matt [Damon] and George [Clooney] would always have these conversations, and they'd go out for cocktails afterwards and I don't really drink, and I don't bring a lot to that party because they're super A-level guys. But Bill [Murray], they gave us bicycles, George bought everybody bicycles to ride, so I'd ride bikes with Bill. ...We'd just go get lost, and they had to send guys in cars out to look for us, and to make sure Bill's not gonna go over any borders or cause any trouble. ...We were in a small town in England, and women would approach him, so Bill would pick them up and put them over his shoulder."

He couldn't say enough good things about his Kong: Skull Island co-star Brie Larson.

"I love her. ...she is so charismatic. She would organize -- she was like the only girl there, on set...every weekend she would organize stuff to do for people. We'd go look at kangaroos and she'd organize a trip to an amusement park after they closed. Just stuff for people to do. Because she's over-sensitive about people getting nervous and angry and on each other's nerves. She's incredible."

He has not-insignificant memory problems.

On his 10 Cloverfield Lane co-star Mary Elizabeth Winstead:

Goodman: "She's terrific, huh? Mary Elizabeth?"

Howard: "What's her name?"

Goodman: "Mary Elizabeth..."

[...]

"Where are the Paramount people right now?"

On Bringing Out the Dead, the 1999 film he made with Martin Scorsese:

Howard: You work with him at all, Martin Scorsese?

Goodman: Yeah, I did a movie in my old neighborhood, in Hell's Kitchen, we shot all night.

Howard: What was the movie?

[pause]

Howard: You don't even remember that. What's going on with you?

Goodman: You know, I get on these caffeine jags and I'm so nervous --

Howard: You might have Alzheimer's or something. You're like me, I don't remember anything.

Goodman: Goddammit. ...I remember the movie, I don't remember the title of it.

He's too afraid to go into detail about his thoughts on Donald Trump.

"I just don't get it. I mean, I can understand it, because he's a very popular figure from reality television. But, yeah -- it's just, you know, I don't want any death threats."

He thinks about retirement a lot.

Howard: "So you never think about retiring, right?"

Goodman: "Oh, christ, every day. ...I'm tired."

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/john-goodma...001500744.html
    idunno, SHELLEE, sprynkles and 2 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

kristen wiig is too good to let john goodman slide on an interruption? not liking that...
    sluce, SHELLEE, KrisNine and 15 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Great interview. Seems like such a nice man.
    Laurent, greysfang and Lily Bleu like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

"I just don't get it. I mean, I can understand it, because he's a very popular figure from reality television. But, yeah -- it's just, you know, I don't want any death threats."
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

I like him a lot better than Kristen Wiig. I haven't liked her in any movie I've seen her in, do not see her appeal at all.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I love this guy. He's one of the funniest. I think he's a big part of the reason Roseanne is one of my favorite shows. He just brings the funny all the time.

Now I need to see The Big Lebowski again. Love him.
    sluce, greysfang and panic like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

He seems like a really down to earth kind of guy - also doesn't sound like he gives himself enough credit. He may not be making $20 million a movie, but he once was a household name and still continues to be easily recognizable and secures good roles - he obviously has proven he has staying power in the industry.

Also, I only know who Kristen Wiig is because I've seen Bridesmaids 1000 times - other than that, what has she done to be so worthy of snubbing John Goodman?
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I'm pretty sure we'll hear something about it soon from Wiig since it a bunch of news sites are also reporting on it.

By the way, every time I see her name I think about our kids' video game system.
    mostlylurking likes this.

what has she done to be so worthy of snubbing John Goodman?

Nothing. What a biotch.
    I love him. Last time I saw a pic of him, he had really slimmed down. So glad, he might be with us for a while longer.
    Nevan and ConstanceSpry like this.

I can understand that she was in another conversation, but she could have been more gracious and let him know she wanted to speak with him too.
    Serendipity and ConstanceSpry like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

He's a master with that story about Wiig. He paints himself as the gauche one who was tacky enough to interrupt her, but ends up making her look like bitch supreme. I love people with that talent.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Mrs. Mohandas loves when people interrupt me talking with someone else at parties because we'll use that as an excuse to introduce everyone to each other and then we'll sneak back to the buffet.
    mostlylurking likes this.

Eh, I can see how she might've said it in a non-snarky way.

He sounds so wonderful and kind and down to earth, one of my favor actors.

Where is the respect? He's John Good FFS! Also, i think he needs to go full monty on a wellness plan as i don't like the sounds of him saying he is so tired or needed an engergy drink, etc. Go take a long vacation, John and revitalize yourself, man. We need you around this town!
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information