Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Lawsuit Over Peephole Video at Hotel

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Lawsuit Over Peephole Video at Hotel

Erin Andrews Wins $55 Million In Hotel Peephole Lawsuit | Deadline

Erin Andrews Wins $55M In Hotel Peephole Lawsuit; Jury Blames Hotel & Stalker
    by Dominic Patten
    March 7, 2016 2:51pm

Associated Press

UPDATED with Andrews’ statement: After a two-week trial in Nashville, a jury today awarded Erin Andrews $55 million over the 2008 incident that led to video of her in the nude splashed all over the Internet. The jury of seven women and five men determined Nashville Marriott hotel owners and a known stalker were jointly accountable for the invasion of privacy and humiliation of Andrews, now a Fox Sports host and Dancing With The Stars co-host.

The award from the Tennessee jury is $20 million less than Andrews was seeking in her lawsuit.

Working for ESPN at the time, Andrews was in town in September 2008 to cover a college football game when the Marriott permitted Michael David Barrett’s request to be in the room next to the sportscaster. To make matters worse, Andrews was never told Barrett was booked next door. Andrews only discovered what had happened later, when nearly five minutes of footage of her changing that he had secretly filmed was posted online to millions of views. Pre-planning, insurance salesman Barrett had removed peepholes in the doors and filmed Andrews with his cell phone. He was later sentenced to 2 1/2 years in jail for the act. Marriott International was dropped from the last case earlier this year on the premise it was not responsible for security put or not put in place by a franchisee.

In often tearful testimony, Andrews described last month on the standhow her humiliation was doubled when it was reported at the time that the video was a PR stunt. In fact, hotel owner West End Hotel Partners and ex-operator Windsor Capitol argued at trial that they shouldn’t be held accountable for anything because Andrews’ career had actually blossomed since the incident.
    After just eight hours of deliberation today, the jury didn’t agree: the two companies will have to pay around $26 million to Andrews, while Barrett will have to pay around $28 million in accordance with the ruling. An appeal is likely to be filed, sources say.
    Bruce Broillet, Tobin Lanzetta Molly McKibben and Scott Carr, of Geene, Broillet & Wheller LLP represented Andrews in the case, along with Kinnard Clayton & Beveridge’s Randall Kinnard.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy

Erin Andrews Wins $55 Million In Hotel Peephole Lawsuit | Deadline
    tulip likes this.

How dare the hotel owner say that they shouldn't be held accountable because her career blossomed since the incident! That makes me furious. Fuck them.

I admit I had my doubts when I first saw the video way back when, was she just one of those girls who used sex/nudie videos to get famous? But when more info came out I changed my mind about that. The whole story is so bizarre, this guy wasn't just a perv but did this in the hopes of making money--and the fact that the hotel policies were so lax that they basically just handed over her room info with no question just played right into his hand. Sadly for her she did prance around naked and gave the asshole what he wanted, but bottom line she was violated big time not only by the perv but the hotel as well, so good for her. It's not her fault that this raised her profile, it was still a horrible violation of her privacy.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Fuck Marriott. I'm glad they had to pay up.
    Briar Rose and idunno like this.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

Fuck Marriott is right. And the Marriott's are Mormons so fuck em and their family values bullshit twice.
    Briar Rose, Mrs P, msdeb and 5 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Fuck Marriott is right. And the Marriott's are Mormons so fuck em and their family values bullshit twice.
    They probably thought that she deserved it because she dared to expose her sinful naked self in a place where she should have had every expectation of privacy. Damn those women for having slutty notions like that! If she'd worn magic underwear then she would have been fine.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Peepholes
    People who thwart Peepholes
    Are the Yuckiest People in the World
    Fran2, panic and Raff like this.

fgg

i just saw an article that said she'll probably end up with somewhere around $6M because the pervert won't pay his half, marriott will appeal and try to settle for less and then her attorneys get 40%.
    sluce likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i just saw an article that said she'll probably end up with somewhere around $6M because the pervert won't pay his half, marriott will appeal and try to settle for less and then her attorneys get 40%.
    My husband was complaining about the amount she got yesterday- he didn't think that much money was warranted. I pointed out to him that the guy won't pay because he didn't make $25 million from the video- he's likely broke or close to it- and yup, her attorneys get at least 33 1/3 of her proceeds. And yup, I totally agree that the award would be cut down on appeal (even though I think the award is reasonable given the facts).
    lindsaywhit and sluce like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I remember when this first happened and did not click on the video. I thought it appalling, the commentary at the time and commentary that is still happening today. And I saw a news segment featuring the Marriott lawyer who asserted, "Banks serve people but they don't make bank robbers. Do you hold a bank responsible for a bank robber?"

i thought, "Well, sure I would if someone asked, 'Can you put me in a teller line with a bank rep that I can steal from and violate all sorts of banking privacy rules?' And that bank said 'Yes.'"

And after seeing video clips of that guy's deposition testimony, despite his seeming regret, I don't think he cares about how what he did affected her.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    My husband was complaining about the amount she got yesterday- he didn't think that much money was warranted. I pointed out to him that the guy won't pay because he didn't make $25 million from the video- he's likely broke or close to it- and yup, her attorneys get at least 33 1/3 of her proceeds. And yup, I totally agree that the award would be cut down on appeal (even though I think the award is reasonable given the facts).
    Other people in comments sections of news articles have been commenting on how they find the amount obscene but the way I look at it is that the guy probably doesn't have that much so the award against him is hypothetical and the Marriot's share of the compensation has to be proportionally high enough to their worth to make them take the privacy and security of their guests more seriously.
    Brah, Trixie, lindsaywhit and 2 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I wanted to talk about actually how this guy pulled this off. It was a combination of this guy's diabolical ingenuity, and poor security practices by the hotel. Some stuff I've read:

1. He didn't start off as an Andrews stalker. He only knew she was popular and thought he could make money if he got video of her.
    2. The next part is unclear to me. He was on a business trip and ended up at the same hotel as her. I'm not sure how he knew she was there.
    3. He asked to connect to Andrews' room from a house phone in the restaurant. When he made the call, Andrews' room number showed up on the house phone. That is like a huge security flaw and I cannot figure out why the hotel phone had that feature.
    4. He later went to her room on the 10th floor. She wasn't there, but a maid was cleaning the room right next door. So, he knew the room might be available. He goes to the front desk and asks for that room and says that he knows it's available. I think the front desk should have been curious about why a guy was roaming around asking for a specific room.
    5. They gave him the room. He waited in his room until he could hear her door slam and knew that she was leaving. When that happened, he went to her door, somehow removed the peephole mechanism. He cut the peephole barrel in half so that it was now basically a plug, and he could slide it out at will. Then, he put it back in. Once again, the hotel messed up by having a peephole that could be removed from the outside instead of the inside only.
    6. Later, while he was in his room, he could hear her turn the shower on. At that point, he went outside, removed the peephole barrel and started filming.

Some people had thought that this guy was able to literally ask for a hotel room next to Andrews. But what actually happened is that he relied on at least three fundamental flaws in Marriott security to make this thing happen.

Yep, I thought he specifically asked for a room next to her.

I also read somewhere that he had previously done the same thing to 10 other (non-famous) women. Not sure what he did with those videos or why he taped those women. But he certainly had practice before targeting Andrews.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I think what gets me the most about this story is that it's not about seeing boobs and whatnot - there are boobs and whatnot galore to see on the internet, and if you play your cards right, any random Saturday night at the bar. But it's important to see HER naked, apparently, I guess because she hasn't been as forthcoming as the Kardashians (how dare she?)

People suck.
    sluce and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    They probably thought that she deserved it because she dared to expose her sinful naked self in a place where she should have had every expectation of privacy. Damn those women for having slutty notions like that! If she'd worn magic underwear then she would have been fine.

The Marriott hotel that Andrews stayed at was a franchisee and was neither owned nor operated by Marriott. A Tennessee court ruled that Marriott was therefore not liable and so they were not part of this lawsuit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information