Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 2 Post By Lofty Bike
  • 6 Post By VeraGemini
  • 1 Post By Annika

Thread: Yoko Ono hospitalized - possible stroke

Default Yoko Ono hospitalized - possible stroke

Yoko Ono hospitalized after possible stroke - CBS News

NEW YORK -- Yoko Ono was hospitalized Friday evening after suffering a possible stroke, sources told CBS New York late Friday.

Ono, who turned 83 this month, was taken from her home at the Dakota on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and rushed to Mount Sinai West Hospital, a police source told CBS New York's Jessica Schneider.

She was unconscious when she was taken to the hospital at 9:05 p.m., the FDNY told the station.

Ono has lived at the Dakota, at 72nd Street and Central Park West, since 1973. Her husband, John Lennon, was shot and killed in front of the building on Dec. 8, 1980.

The hospital where Ono was be treated, formerly St. Luke's Roosevelt, was where Lennon was pronounced dead.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Now they're saying it wasn't a stroke.

Yoko Ono hospitalized with 'extreme' flu-like symptoms - CNN.com

Artist Yoko Ono hospitalized with 'extreme' flu-like symptoms

Former Beatle John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, in August 1980 in New York.

Story highlights

• Ono was married to Beatle John Lennon until his death in 1980
    • She is 83

(CNN)Artist and activist Yoko Ono was hospitalized in New York after experiencing "extreme flu-like" symptoms, her publicist said.

Ono, 83, was married to Beatle John Lennon until his death in 1980. She was taken to the hospital Friday night, according to publicist Elliot Mintz.

"Her doctor thought it would be a good idea for her to get checked," he said. He denied media reports that she suffered a stroke, and said she will likely be discharged Saturday.

Her son, Sean Ono Lennon, also denied the reports, saying she is "just dehydrated and tired."

"Only stroke .... (she) had was a stroke of genius," he tweeted. "She's really fine. Thanks for all the well wishes!"
    Only stroke @yokoono had was a Stroke of Genius! :-) She's really fine. Thanks for all the well wishes! Big Love, Sean
    — Sean Ono Lennon (@seanonolennon) February 27, 2016

Ono has won two Grammys -- one as an artist and producer, and the other as a video producer.

This month, she is exhibiting "Land of Hope," which comprises 19 pieces of her artwork in Mexico City's Memory and Tolerance Museum. The interactive exhibit promotes peace.
    Last edited by VeraGemini; February 27th, 2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: prettied up the formatting

glad it's not a stroke. i love yoko.
    HWBL likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love her, too and I feel that she is ccriminally underrated as an artist and creative force in general. People always go on how annoying she is, but why? Ithink her whole life is an inspiration, she is independent, free and full of herself, that's just great.

I don't get why she stayed on at the Dakota even though she has one of the best apartments there.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

^^^ I would have stayed there, too, because some pscho who killed my husband should not have the power to make me move away, he has done enough damage already. And it is one of the most prestigious addresses in the world.
    From what I found online, Yoko owns at least 1200 square meters/13000 square foot there, in 4 appartements all over the house. An apartment with the same size as the one she lives in (the others seem to be for storage and her buero) is 410 square meters has been sold for over 25 million $ recently. I was in New York 2 years ago and couldn't believe how big and pompous that building is, the rooms must be overwhelmingly high and opulent.
    twitchy2.0 and crayzeehappee like this.

I know. I've been there as well and it is an iconic building BUT her husband was shot in the doorway and she passes the doorman every time she goes out and she lives in the same apartment as they lived in together with their young son. It's too late now but many people would have started a new life with all her wealth. Perhaps to be closer to her daughter as well?

30 years on, Ono meets daughter

The Advertiser/January 8, 2001
    By Sharon Churcher

Bundled up against the freezing New York winter, a pretty little girl with mischievous eyes and pink butterfly hairslides sits happily on her grandmother's knee, her mother by her side.
    This was the scene as Yoko Ono, John Lennon's widow, met for the first time her granddaughter Emi, 3. Until recently her mother, Ono's daughter Kyoko Cox, 37, had kept the child away from Ono because of an extraordinary 30-year feud.
    They were seen in Strawberry Fields, the memorial garden to the murdered former Beatle in Central Park across the road from the Dakota Building where he was shot dead 20 years ago.
    Ono is so delighted by the reconciliation that she has told friends and lawyers that half her vast fortune, estimated at more than $1 billion, will be settled on Emi in a trust fund, and that eventually she will share the Lennon legacy with her mother's half-brother Sean - Lennon and Ono's son.
    Yet three years ago Ono, 67, did not even know that Kyoko was alive. For years, Kyoko lived in hiding after being abducted at the age of eight by her father, eccentric American film-makerTony Cox, Ono's second husband.
    He was deeply resentful when she left him for Lennon and vowed the Beatle, whom he accused of being a depraved drug addict, would never get custody of their child.
    A Christian fundamentalist, Cox initiated Kyoko into bizarre Doomsday cult The Walk.
    For three decades, moving from continent to continent, she evaded investigators paid by Yoko to find her.
    In November, 1997, three weeks after Emi's birth, Kyoko finally re-established contact with the woman she was brought up to believe was, like Lennon, the personification of evil.
    Kyoko, a charity worker, said: "I didn't feel it right for me to become a mother without at least letting my mother know that I'm alive and well." Initially, Kyoko spoke to her mother on the phone, from Denver, Colorado, where Kyoko is married to a devout Christian.
    In 1998, she agreed to meet Yoko and Sean, now 25. Last week, the emotional reunion finally took place.
    Kyoko was aged five when Lennon and Ono became lovers and left her in the care of Cox. Later they tried to kidnap the child while she was in Majorca with her father. After this, Cox disappeared with Kyoko.
    A friend of Cox, David Clark, said: "Kyoko's childhood was clouded by the battle between three control freaks - Yoko, John and her natural father. Her father told her he was rescuing her because her mother was involved in drugs and the occult. Her mother stood for corruption."
    Ono did not file for custody of her daughter until she was eight. In 1969, soon after marrying, Lennon and Ono launched their campaign for Kyoko's heart.
    Their song, Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow) featured Ono yodelling the words with Lennon on guitar. The fight moved to the US, where the couple formally sought custody in 1971.
    Cox retaliated by testifying Ono and Lennon were drug users. A judge ruled the child should live with Lennon and Ono. But Cox had snatched Kyoko. "It is as much for Yoko's sake that Kyoko is trying to reach out and get to know her," a friend of Kyoko's said.

30 years on, Ono meets daughter
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

It's great to leave a substantial inheritance for her grandchild, but that "Lennon" legacy should belong to Sean and Julian.
    Angeli, Squidge, rollo and 3 others like this.

that is one scary apartment building. rosemary's baby, dude.
    rollo likes this.

Bronze Member

Don't much care for her as a person (people I know that have met her/done biz with her say she's very cold, impersonal, and talks over you as if you're not really there), or as a 'poet' or artist. I do like her music, though, even the 'caterwauling', because I feel she uses her voice as an instrument in the most essential sense. She conveys emotion through sound, without using words to illustrate what is going one and why she feels as she does. I love her regular singing, too...she has a very sweet, pretty voice that most don't recognize because they won't go beyond the primal stuff, or they hate her for allegedly busting up the Beatles, which only now Paul admits was his doing.

Thread Information