Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Emma Watson Is Taking a Year Off From Acting to Focus on Feminism

Default Emma Watson Is Taking a Year Off From Acting to Focus on Feminism

Emma Watson just revealed she has a girl crush on bell hooks. Oh and she's taking time away from acting to learn more about feminism.
    Feminist icon bell hooks recently interviewed Watson for Paper Magazine's "Girl Crush" series, where she spoke to Watson about her role as a U.N. ambassador for the #HeForShe campaign and her recent feminist coming-of-age.

Watson told hooks she'll be taking a year off from acting to focus on a few things, one of which is to learn more about gender equality:
    I'm taking a year away from acting to focus on two things, really. My own personal development is one... My own personal task is to read a book a week, and also to read a book a month as part of my book club. I'm doing a huge amount of reading and study just on my own. I almost thought about going and doing a year of gender studies, then I realized that I was learning so much by being on the ground and just speaking with people and doing my reading. That I was learning so much on my own. I actually wanted to keep on the path that I'm on. I'm reading a lot this year, and I want to do a lot of listening.

In the "world of celebrity activism," hooks said she was impressed to hear Watson take a genuine interest in learning more about the feminist movement. "A lot of times we know that in the world of celebrity activism, celebrities jump into a cause, but rarely are they telling us, 'I'm studying, learning, I'm taking it slow, talking to people.' It's so exciting that you're doing that," hooks told Watson. "You're really sincerely struggling with what is needed to create a world without patriarchal domination."

For me the biggest liberation has been that so much of the self-critiquing is gone. Emma
    Watson on what feminism has done for her

When hooks asked Watson what the young actress finds most liberating about feminism, Watson responded with a personal anecdote. "I'm on my journey with this and it might change, but I can tell you that... for me the biggest liberation has been that so much of the self-critiquing is gone," she said. "Engaging with feminism, there is this kind of bubble now that goes off in my head where these really negative thoughts about myself hit where I'm able to combat them in a very rational and quick way. I can see it now in a way that's different."
    Watson added that she hopes all women can gain the same source of self-love she's found through feminism. "I guess if I could give women anything through feminism... it would just be, to be able to move away, to move through all of that. I see so many women struggling with issues of self-esteem," Watson said. "They know and they hear it and they read it in magazines and books all the time that self-love is really important, but it's really hard to actually do."

Emma Watson Is Taking A Year Off To Learn More About Feminism, Because She’s Truly The Best
    Sassiness and fuzuoko like this.

Well sorry for being cynical but Emma Watson isn't that successful as an actress. Her performances for the last few movies that were released weren't much praised. But I guess if she gets praise for her next two movies "the Circle" (with Tom Hanks) and "Beauty and the Beast" (adaptation from that old Disney animated film) then I stand corrected. Maybe she should take some acting lessons during her break.
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

Elite Member

The title of this thread cracked me up.
    rollo and ChemicalHelena like this.

Is she just reading or doing a degree? It seems kinda unstructured.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I love her and good on her for doing what she wants and trying to better herself. I admire these kids who work super hard while everyone else has a childhood, then when they're older they're fuck off rich and can choose to live however they like. Which is why I can't hate Miley Cyrus - she earned it.
    Last edited by faithanne; February 23rd, 2016 at 08:11 PM.
    sluce, czb, Tati and 7 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Gosh! Feminism is the new black! Or is that the new orange? Or maybe we should go for navy? Or India's navy pink????
    Yep Pink is femanist.

Good for her. If I didn't have to hold down a 9-5 and had millions of dollars in my bank account, I'd probably take some time off for personal development as well.

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    Good for her. If I didn't have to hold down a 9-5 and had millions of dollars in my bank account, I'd probably take some time off for personal development as well.
    I agree. If I didn't have to think about money or worry about family members, I would love to have the opportunity to follow my passion wherever it takes me. I'd travel the world visiting and revisiting archaeological sites, visit museums, audit classes in ancient Greek and Latin to bring myself back up to speed and perhaps study Aramaic and Hebrew. I wish her well.
    *Kat*, sluce, Lalasnake and 1 others like this.

me too, i would also travel
    fuzuoko likes this.

Well, I'm gonna stay cynical and say she's no Lily Cole.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I have 2 jobs, 3 if you include all the animals (cows, chickens, stupid hairy dog that needs lots of walks) and I have mp3s so I can listen while I do other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    I agree. If I didn't have to think about money or worry about family members, I would love to have the opportunity to follow my passion wherever it takes me. I'd travel the world visiting and revisiting archaeological sites, visit museums, audit classes in ancient Greek and Latin to bring myself back up to speed and perhaps study Aramaic and Hebrew. I wish her well.
    You don't have to be rich to do self development, when I was at my skintest was when I did the most self a development. There is loads of stuff you can find or download on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by arie_skop View Post
    me too, i would also travel
    You I can't help, you can't download that!
    arie_skop likes this.

An Emma Watson thread without an Emma Watson photo is just not right. So, here we go:

faithanne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You don't have to be rich to do self development, when I was at my skintest was when I did the most self a development. There is loads of stuff you can find or download on the internet.

I agree that I can probably refresh my knowledge (and I use the term loosely) of the languages I studied from my books and the internet, but there is absolutely nothing like visiting an archaeological/historic site and breathing it all in. Not just taking in the visuals, but also the smells and sounds; closing your eyes and almost going back in time. It's magical.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    I agree that I can probably refresh my knowledge (and I use the term loosely) of the languages I studied from my books and the internet, but there is absolutely nothing like visiting an archaeological/historic site and breathing it all in. Not just taking in the visuals, but also the smells and sounds; closing your eyes and almost going back in time. It's magical.
    I always enjoy meeting new people while travelling and learning about their culture, plus trying different food..mmm
    rollo, sluce, sparkles and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I have 2 jobs, 3 if you include all the animals (cows, chickens, stupid hairy dog that needs lots of walks) and I have mp3s so I can listen while I do other things.

You I can't help, you can't download that!

I'm a programmer, I stare at the screen 10 hours a day at work (sometimes even on weekends). I can't listen, learn or do anything else while I'm at work. I'm so exhausted after work and the 2 hour commute that doing anything productive after coming home feels like a chore. I want to learn new languages and read more books. I'm also passionate about Data Science and I'm trying to learn new programming languages and statistics because of it. I could do that and I know a disciplined person probably would. But my brain feels fried at the end of the workday. I'm not saying personal development is impossible with no money, but it would be hell of a lot easier with it.
    sluce, Mrs P, faithanne and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information