Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Kesha denied split from Sony, abuse allegations yet to be addressed

Default Kesha denied split from Sony, abuse allegations yet to be addressed

Kesha Sob Face Comes Out After Judge's Decision

2/19/2016 3:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Kesha
    couldn't hold back her tears as soon as the judge announced she had to honor her contract with Sony Music.

A NY Daily News photog captured the emotional moment Friday in a New York City courtroom. As we reported, the judge refused to grant Kesha an injunction that would have allowed her to record music outside her Sony deal.
    There could be tougher days ahead. The judge has yet to address her allegations of sexual, mental and emotional abuse against her former producer, Dr. Luke.

There is much more to this story. The judge pointed out that this case is about contract law, not sexual assault. Kesha never pursued charges for him raping her. His people of curse claim it never happened, and she never mentioned it until she wanted out of the contract. They believe she is making these accusations in hopes of getting out of the contract because her career is stalled. To accommodate her, they offered to make sure he was never anywhere near her, even when she records. She feels that is not enough and they should let her end the contract. It's a mess of he said she said. It's all very sad.
    ChemicalHelena likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Thanks Slice -/I didn't have time to look at The NYN article.

Kesha sobs as judge keeps deal with alleged rapist producer
    Barbara Ross NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Updated: 02/20/2016 12:14 AM ET

“Tik Tok” star Kesha broke into tears Friday when a Manhattan Supreme Court judge refused to let her walk away from a six-album deal with Sony — and the man she claims raped her.

The singer had sought to nullify her recording contract because it brought her into contact with super-producer Dr. Luke, whose real name is Luke Gottwald.

KESHA'S ALLEGED RAPE HAPPENED WHEN SHE WAS 18-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN

The 28-year-old, whose real name is Kesha Rose Sebert, claims that Dr. Luke (inset) drugged her with a pill that made her black out and raped her shortly after her 18th birthday in California. He was never criminally charged.

Sony has offered to let her work with another producer, but Kesha said she fears the company won’t promote her music as heavily if she’s not working with Gottwald, their biggest hitmaker.

Kesha (c.) cries as she learns she will not be released from her record label contract in Manhattan Supreme Court Friday. Kesha's contract requires her to record six more albums for Sony Records.

KESHA ACCUSES SONY MUSIC OF ENABLING 'ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP' WITH DR. LUKE

Dozens of fans rallied outside the courthouse in support of the shellshocked singer as she emerged from the courthouse.

“Free Kesha Now! Free Kesha Now!” they chanted as the singer walked down the front steps with her entourage.

A few minutes earlier, she had hugged a weeping fan outside the courtroom.

“You don’t deserve this at all. It’s unfair,” the fan, Lindsay Scarpa, told her.

Kesha declined to speak with reporters.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Shirley Kornreich said Sony would suffer irreparable harm if Kesha was not compelled to abide by a contract that requires her to make six more albums with the company.

Kesha leaves Manhattan Supreme Court on Friday after a judge told her an injunction would undermine state contract law.

The judge said that granting the singer’s request to nullify her deal would undermine the state’s laws governing contracts and the court couldn’t do that.

Kesha’s lawyer, Mark Geragos, argued that Sony’s promise to connect her to another producer was “illusory” because even if the recordings were made, the record company wouldn’t promote them.

He contended that Sony had more invested in Dr. Luke than in Kesha and it would do everything to protect him because he makes them more money.

Kesha, in a dramatic all-white outfit seated in court next to her mother in a back row, initially looked stunned as the judge refused to issue the injunction.
    Kesha was seeking to nullify her recording contract, which made her work with a man she accused of raping her.
    James Devaney/GC Images
    Kesha was seeking to nullify her recording contract, which made her work with a man she accused of raping her.
    The "Tik Tok" singer accused producer Dr. Luke of rape and said she is afraid to work with him.
    Tommaso Boddi/WireImage
    The "Tik Tok" singer accused producer Dr. Luke of rape and said she is afraid to work with him.

Then as a tear-soaked fan in front of her started sniffling loudly, her own eyes filled with tears.

Dr. Luke and Sony are also trying to dismiss the underlying case in which Kesha contends Dr. Luke abused her emotionally and psychologically for a decade

Christine Lepera, a lawyer for Dr. Luke, said in a statement that the allegations against him “were asserted solely to extort money and gain contractual leverage

Why did they ever sign her up? Are we just not going to talk about her alleged huge drug problem?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Not sure why the fear of bad press would not be enough for Sony to cut her loose. And did she know that Dr. Luke would be involved with her music when she signed the contract (assuming the signing was after this rape event 10 years ago).

There's too much at stake professionally and personally for her to be lying about what happened with this obvious creep. Don't care for her music but I wish her well.
    Wisher likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I don't doubt her story, but understand the judges position since she was charged with judging contract law, not rape.

Kesha was in treatment for bulimia, but there has been no proof she ever suffered from addiction.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Since Sony has offered her to work with another producer, she should take that offer and see the contract out.
    Music record contracts must be titanium clad. Much bigger stars than Kesha (Prince, George Michael) have tried and failed to get released from them.

i read somewhere that she did charge him with sexual assault but that case doesn't go to trial until 2017. i don't know this for a fact though and haven't followed this story for the most part.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Taylor Swift Supports Kesha by Gifting Her $250,000 Amid Dr. Luke Legal Battle

by Philiana Ng 8:10 PM PST, February 21, 2016

Taylor Swift is looking out for Kesha.
    The 1989 singer is the latest celebrity to show support, giving $250,000 to help Kesha with her ongoing legal battle against Dr. Luke.
    "In a show of support, Taylor Swift has donated $250,000 to Kesha to help with any of her financial needs during this trying time," Swift's rep told ET in a statement on Sunday.
    Celebrities from Lady Gaga and Kelly Clarkson to Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea rallied around the 28-year-old pop star after a judge ruled on Fridaythat she could not get out of her contract with Dr. Luke's Kemosabe Records, part of the Sony Music family.
    Kesha has alleged that Dr. Luke (real name: Lukasz Gottwald), 42, drugged and raped her over a decade ago and consistently abused her physically and emotionally. Dr. Luke has denied any wrongdoing.
    Kesha's mom, Pebe Sebert, thanked Swift for the generous gift in a series of tweets on Sunday evening.
    "A persons wealth is not measured by what they have but by WHO they they help with it. And Taylor Swift is is a truly RICH PERSON. Thank you," she tweeted, followed
    by a red rose. "Most important for Kesha, is that these beautiful, powerful women are standing behind her, letting the world see how powerful the truth is!"

Taylor Swift Supports Kesha by Gifting Her $250,000 Amid Dr. Luke Legal Battle

Taylor Swift is generous....

Stereo Inferno likes this.

That was nice of Taylor Swift to donate to Kesha. I wonder if she had any dealings with this producer and is sending a message. Maybe that guy is another Bill Cosby.

And Sony will suffer irreparable harm if Kesha does not make six more albums??? Is that judge serious? It sounds like their attorney wrote the decision.

More like we would be spared 6 more albums. There are loads of blinds about Ke$ha. I can't dig them up right now.
    llamamama likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Demi Lovato just had to insert herself in the drama. Her take is amusing considering all the stories about her live-in boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama. He's 36 and has been seeing Demi since 2010, which puts her at 17. He's also the one blamed for much of Lindsay Lohan's troubles. He has a past that sounds pretty similar to the asshole Kesha is fighting.

Taylor Swift Just Gave Sony The Finger With This $250,000 Donation To Kesha

Demi Lovato seemed to have thoughts on the subject, tweeting this shortly after hearing of Swift's donation:

Demi Lovato ✔ ‎‎@ddlovato

Take something to Capitol Hill or actually speak out about something and then I'll be impressed.
    11:14 PM - 21 Feb 2016

Swift fans didn't appreciate the shade and got involved, but Lovato took to social media to defend herself, saying:

How the f--k am I making this about myself? At least I'm talking about it. Not everyone has 250k to just give to people. Would love to but I didn’t grow up with money and def haven’t made as much as her. At least I speak up about s--t that's uncomfortable to talk about rather than trying to be politically correct 24/7.

But she wasn't finished.

"There's no 'rivalry' I just give more f--ks than other people and would rather start a dialogue ABOUT WOMEN COMING FORWARD ABOUT BEING RAPED than throw money at one person."

She had quite a bit to say.

"Didn't shade Taylor. If you take it that way than fine. I'm just tired of seeing women use 'women empowerment' and 'feminism' to further brands without actually being the ones that have the uncomfortable conversations. I get shade and I don't give a f--k because someone has to be the one to take it. At least I'm getting my hands dirty."

It's unfortunate to see the Twitter drama take away from Kesha's legal and emotional battle with Sony. But we're glad she has some financial backing from Tay until the whole situation is settled.

Double posting just because I stumbled across this old article that made me LOL.

An Open Letter to Wilmer Valderrama
    5 years ago by Lilit Marcus
    —Image via WENN

Dear Wilmer,

So I hear you’re dating Demi Lovato. I’m sure she really needs your love in her life right now since she has all these demons to face and rehab to get out of and stuff. So your love and attention is probably a blessing for her right now. Oh wait, except it probably isn’t. In fact, it’s probably the exact opposite of a blessing. And why is that? Because you’re a skeeze who dates starlets and then dumps them as soon as they start zeroing in on their nineteenth birthdays, and then tells sex stories about them on Howard Stern. Before you try to do your “I’m a foreigner” accent again and feign innocence, let me jog your memory for a bit.

Exhibit A: Mandy Moore

She seems like a nice enough kid, despite being married to Ryan Adams and his terrible hair. But it was really shitty of you to tell Howard Stern about taking Mandy’s virginity, n’est-ce pas?

Exhibit B: Lindsay Lohan

Dating you was the start of her descent into drug addiction, assistant abuse, and claiming the drugs in her pants belonged to some black kid. I know you’re not completely at fault here since her parents are the two worst people on earth, but it’s not like you were terribly helpful either. And she was totally underage when you started banging her – no one believes you that you magically met her the day she turned legal.

Exhibit C: Jennifer Love Hewitt

She’s not a drug addict, as far as we know, but she has a creepy obsession with Audrey Hepburn and is a serial dater with the likes of Jamie Kennedy. Obviously, you are to blame for starting this cycle.

Exhibit D: Ashlee Simpson

She may not have a confirmed drug problem, but I do have my suspicions about her bobbleheadedness. Also, what sober person names their child Bronx Mowgli?

Do you see what I am trying to tell you, Wilmer? Remember that time that you said Lindsay Lohan’s vagina was the Ellis Island of Hollywood, and everyone had to pass through it? You were actually wrong. Your penis is the Ellis Island of Hollywood. A particular Hollywood that is gross and horrible and treats young women like trophies or commodities. And after they pass through the Ellis Island that is dating you, they end up doing coke, ecstasy, and that twerp from Fall Out Boy. Remember that famous “I keep getting older, they stay the same age” line from Dazed and Confused? That was kind of oddly charming because it was Matthew McConaughey with a Texas twang. You, sir, are no fictional character. You are just a perv. A perv who had a TV show where people sat around telling “Yo mamma” jokes for half an hour and was so bad that MTV cancelled it, and we all know they’ll run anything.

Read more: An Open Letter to Wilmer Valderrama - TheGloss

Gold Member

I can't stand Demi Lovato. She is vile and exploitative. I really wish she would go away (or overdose). Either is fine.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    That was nice of Taylor Swift to donate to Kesha. I wonder if she had any dealings with this producer and is sending a message. Maybe that guy is another Bill Cosby.

And Sony will suffer irreparable harm if Kesha does not make six more albums??? Is that judge serious? It sounds like their attorney wrote the decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Demi Lovato just had to insert herself in the drama. Her take is amusing considering all the stories about her live-in boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama. He's 36 and has been seeing Demi since 2010, which puts her at 17. He's also the one blamed for much of Lindsay Lohan's troubles. He has a past that sounds pretty similar to the asshole Kesha is fighting.

How the f--k am I making this about myself? At least I'm talking about it. Not everyone has 250k to just give to people. Would love to but I didnít grow up with money and def havenít made as much as her. At least I speak up about s--t that's uncomfortable to talk about rather than trying to be politically correct 24/7.
    But she wasn't finished.

"There's no 'rivalry' I just give more f--ks than other people and would rather start a dialogue ABOUT WOMEN COMING FORWARD ABOUT BEING RAPED than throw money at one person."

She had quite a bit to say.

"Didn't shade Taylor. If you take it that way than fine. I'm just tired of seeing women use 'women empowerment' and 'feminism' to further brands without actually being the ones that have the uncomfortable conversations. I get shade and I don't give a f--k because someone has to be the one to take it. At least I'm getting my hands dirty."

It's unfortunate to see the Twitter drama take away from Kesha's legal and emotional battle with Sony. But we're glad she has some financial backing from Tay until the whole situation is settled.

Taylor is sending a few messages - strong, smart, and I think impeccably delivered. She's a shrewd businesswoman, and surrounds herself with good people. She did not just dash off a check and throw it at Kesha. Taylor made a public and substantial gesture, a "salut des armes" if you will, and I don't think Sony is taking it lightly. Just a couple of things I saw, but that's based on being surrounded by lawyers, as well as my time, long past, in the entertainment industry. I know nothing, truly nothing, about the music business, except it's supposed to be a thousand times more, er, dirty and dangerous and exploitive.

My guess is that the timing was very deliberate. Taylor waited until the contract side was over - there was no way the judge could make any other decision and I'm sure everyone knew it was going to turn out exactly the way it did. (Except maybe Kesha, but 95% of us would be the same way if it was about ourselves. It's always different when it's you.) It made much more sense to wait and give the $$$ when the internet furor had exploded onto mainstream media. Many more people are aware of this lawsuit today than before they heard/saw: KESHA MUST WORK WITHallegedRAPIST !!!! Let's be honest - Kesha probably tripled her name and face recognition numbers this week. So did Dr. Luke. I'd love to have been in the meetings between Dr. Luke and Sony executives and the lawyers. I'd love to get a ballpark figure on how many additional (potential) lawsuits they are aware of simmering just below the public radar, watching and waiting to see what happens with Kesha. I'd really love to know how many they fear... (I've got to stop watching ID Discovery shows - right now everything I'm typing I hear in 'that voice,' lol.)

The timing also allows momentum to start building for Kesha after losing the first round. I wouldn't be shocked to discover that Kesha and Taylor had been talking about this for a while, directly or indirectly, and about what and who would be needed to get Kesha's legal team together. Miss Demi wants to snarl at prissy Taylor with her wealthy background, connections, and clean hands, but I'm sure in the same situation there's not much Demi wouldn't do to get her own grubby little mitts on a quarter of a million dollars. That's a lot of money, even for Taylor - it's amazing and sad that Demi finds it necessary to get defensive about not having 'enough.' She sounds desperate, thirsty and coached. Her anger feels, I don't know, like a bottle with a cork ready to explode, or a clock wound too tightly. It does make me uncomfortable - but for her, not Kesha. Demi is trying to thrust herself in the middle of, what, Kesha and Taylor's $250M? It's silly and embarrassing. Demi is probably still a little high from being such a sensation at the Grammy's. Anyone else think someone, (Wilmer? Sony? Katie Perry? Dr. Luke? Simon Cowell?) is whispering discontent and venom into her ear?

The public nature of the gift sent some messages as well, that Sony hears loud and clear. It makes it much harder for them to simply stall, filing motion after motion, endless depositions, etc. Otherwise known in really top-notch legal circles as the 'bury them in paperwork' plan. Sony can afford to let this drag out forever, and they still could try to wring every last drop out of Tay's gift,... but then she had to go and say it out loud. Not under the table where all grubby deals are made, great and small. So Kesha's suit threatens the status quo and the dark underbelly of the beast. Keeping a wrong, a battle, or an injustice secret perpetuates the secret and fuels the fires of abuse. I think the fact that Taylor wrote that check will resonate across the industry.

I don't know the merits of this case, but because Kesha was willing to stand up, the general public is going to get a perhaps unsettling look at the music industry. Sony and other corporations involved in this business do not want to give the public another justification for stealing music, but they are opening up a cracker barrel of trouble with this one. I wish I knew more about the industry, or knew someone/s who knew the music business really well and could explain if this nasty shite happens to everyone who doesn't have a wealthy background. Ahem. ....

That's not me, so all of the above could be useless nonsense.
    Wisher, arie_skop and soogar like this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information