Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Harper Lee dead at age of 89: 'To Kill a Mockingbird Author' passes away

Default Harper Lee dead at age of 89: 'To Kill a Mockingbird Author' passes away

Nelle Harper Lee, who won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1961 for her book, "To Kill a Mockingbird," has died at the age of 89, multiple sources in her hometown of Monroeville confirmed Friday morning.

Lee was born April 28, 1926, in Monroeville, the youngest of four children of lawyer Amasa Coleman Lee and Frances Cunningham Finch Lee.

As a child, Lee attended elementary school and high school just a few blocks from her house on Alabama Avenue. In a March 1964 interview, she offered this capsule view of her childhood: "I was born in a little town called Monroeville, Alabama, on April 28, 1926. I went to school in the local grammar school, went to high school there, and then went to the University of Alabama. That's about it, as far as education goes."

She moved to New York in 1949, where she worked as an airlines reservations clerk while pursuing a writing career. Eight years later, Lee submitted her manuscript for "To Kill a Mockingbird" to J.B. Lippincott & Co., which asked her to rewrite it.

On July 11, 1960, Lee's novel was published by Lippincott with critical and commercial success. The author won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction the following year. Dec. 25, 1962.

The film adaptation of the novel, with Mary Badham as Scout, opened on Christmas Day of 1962 and was an instant hit.

Harper Lee suffered a stroke in 2007, recovered and resumed her life in the hometown where she spent many of her 89 years. A guardedly private individual, Lee was respected and protected by residents of the town that displays Mockingbird-themed murals and each year stages theatrical productions of "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Lee returned to Monroeville for good once her sister Alice became ill and needed help. She'd eat breakfast each morning at the same fast-food place, and could later be seen picking up Alice from the law firm founded by their father.

Services for Lee have not been announced.

Source: Harper Lee dead at age of 89: 'To Kill a Mockingbird Author' passes away | AL.com

RIP to a fellow small town Alabamian. Quite an interesting character for sure.
    Laurent and Fran2 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

All this time, i thought Harper Lee was a man!!!!!! Oh, i'm not smart. Not. at. all!!!!! RIP.
    sprynkles and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

RIP

amazing that two of the most famous authors lived next door to each other as children in a small town in Alabama.

Bluebonnet and gas_chick like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Oh yes, I watched a wonderful program about those two. Rest in Peace Harper Lee.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.

Rip. My favorite book that I read while in school.
    Mrs P likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Bless her. She wrote a world wide best seller and still lived her own little life, free from paps.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Sad news… but I have to say I thought she'd been dead for years. RIP.
    czb likes this.

RIP ma'am. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird when I was younger. My daughter had to read it this year for school and I read it with her. Who didn't want Atticus as a Dad?
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

My favorite book ever. R.I.P Miss Harper and thank you for Scout, Jem, Atticus & all the other characters from the book.

President Obama
    2 hrs
    Facebook Mentions

"Atticus, he was real nice."

"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."

When Harper Lee sat down to write To Kill a Mockingbird, she wasn't seeking awards or fame. She was a country girl who just wanted to tell an honest story about life as she saw it.

But what that one story did, more powerfully than one hundred speeches possibly could, was change the way we saw each other, and then the way we saw ourselves. Through the uncorrupted eyes of a child, she showed us the beautiful complexity of our common humanity, and the importance of striving for justice in our own lives, our communities, and our country.

Ms. Lee changed America for the better. And there is no higher tribute we can offer her than to keep telling this timeless American story - to our students, to our neighbors, and to our children - and to constantly try, in our own lives, to finally see each other.
    Fran2 likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

RIP I remember reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time, it was really eye opening and painted a clear picture of the times.
    Wasn't there a big to do that family members or someone was trying to publish a sequel that maybe she didn't have a hand in or even want published after her stroke?

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    RIP I remember reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time, it was really eye opening and painted a clear picture of the times.
    Wasn't there a big to do that family members or someone was trying to publish a sequel that maybe she didn't have a hand in or even want published after her stroke?
    There was a sequel published. Some people thought the lawyer behind the publishing took advantage of Ms. Lee because she was old and frail. She never seemed interested in publishing again when she was well. There was an investigation, and it was determined she wasn't tricked.

As others have expressed, her first novel is my favorite book ever. I admittedly have not read the sequel, but I refuse to believe that the 2nd book as published is what she truly wrote as a sequel, it just doesn't seem right. Perhaps she did write a 2nd novel, but just not the story that was published.

I'll have to read her book again. I want to recall it being one of my favorites in middle school along with Anna Karenina and East of Eden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information