Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Will Smith Admits That, Yeah, They Probably Gave Their Kids Too Much Freedom

Default Will Smith Admits That, Yeah, They Probably Gave Their Kids Too Much Freedom

Will Smith Admits That, Yeah, They Probably Gave Their Kids Too Much Freedom

February 10, 2016 / Posted by: Allison
    68 Reactions

Jaden and Willow Smith, seen above looking like two vintage store-dwelling elves who are about to trick you into trading your soul for a velvet choker and a pair of Fluevog Munsters, are pretty much the unofficial prince and princess of DWTFYW (doing whatever the fuck you want). But unlike other rich kids who got their freedom to do whatever dumb shit they desired by threatening to run away to their summer home in Europe, Jaden and Willow were given full permission from their famous parents, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Will and Jada don’t have a name for their parenting technique, but if we had to call it anything, let’s go with The Shrug Method (in association with Scientology). Jaden and Willow never really went to school and they never had rules. Instead, they chose to fill their spare time by hanging out with shirtless 20-year-olds, attempted modeling, Kardashian weddings, and crackpot philosophy. You’d think that would make Will and Jada smile every time they sip their coffee out of their “Worlds Most Meh Parent” mugs, but maybe not.

During an interview with BBC Radio 1Xtra (via People) yesterday, Will jokingly admitted that maybe he and Jada should have checked more than one parenting book out of the library besides How To Raise Two Intergalactic Space Millionaires. Will’s confession happens at the 3:08 mark.
    2 Reactions

I bet Will made the same nervous laughter when the greasy ghost of L. Ron Hubbard cornered him in the basement of the Celebrity Centre the next day and asked him to explain why he spent the whole night rolling over in his grave.

Will also recently talked about parenting with News.com.au (via Daily Mail), except this time it was about how hard he is on his kids. According to Will, he’s a real Original Aunt Viv (who he tried to kiss and make up with, btw) , aka he’s preparing Jaden and Willow for the cold hard real world by constantly reminding his bonkers stoner teens that they aren’t as ~cool~ and ~unique~ as they think they are. Uh huh, sure.

“I want them to experience as much trauma as they can without them getting broken. The world is hard so I want them to be able to hear people’s opinions and take what people say and what people think and grant people their own views without that breaking their self-confidence.”

Will doesn’t get into specifics about the trauma his kids have experienced, but I’m going to assume it involves seeing how long they can watch Wild Wild West or listen to a Wicked Wisdom album before they start screaming: “Stop! Please make it stop!

Pic: Splash
    Tags: DUH, Jada Pinkett Smith, Jaden Smith, Will Smith, Willow Smith

Dlisted | Will Smith Admits That, Yeah, They Probably Gave Their Kids Too Much Freedom
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Should have made their asses stay in school, Will. And said this one word quite a bit: NO.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Here is a pic from another article about this (Will Smith regrets how much he encouraged his kids’ free expression)

The gorgeous lad behind Jada is Trey (23yo) Will's son from a previous marriage.

Will Smith regrets how much he encouraged his kids’ free expression

Woman's Day
    9 hrs ago

(© Provided by Bauer Media Pty Ltd) Will wasn't afraid to bare all during his radio chat with the British hosts.

Even Hollywood power couple Jada and Will Smith have their fair share of parenting doubts.

In a recent interview with A.Dot on BBC Radio 1Xtra, the dad-of-three confessed that as a celebrity parent, her felt he made a mistake nurturing his kids’ artistic expression.

“Yeah, I think it may have been a mistake. We may have gone too far,” the 47-year-old laughed in response to A.Dot’s question as to whether it was a conscious parenting decision to allow the kids so much freedom.

Even Hollywood power couple Jada and Will Smith have their fair share of parenting doubts.

(© Provided by Bauer Media Pty Ltd) It is all about self-expression when it comes to the Smith kids.

In a recent interview with A.Dot on BBC Radio 1Xtra, the dad-of-three confessed that as a celebrity parent, her felt he made a mistake nurturing his kids’ artistic expression.

“Yeah, I think it may have been a mistake. We may have gone too far,” the 47-year-old laughed in response to A.Dot’s question as to whether it was a conscious parenting decision to allow the kids so much freedom.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air actor also has an older son, Trey, 23, from a previous marriage, who is less caught up in the scandals of his younger siblings.

Despite the family’s many public storms, include the couple's latest - boycotting the Oscars, Will is adamant that as a parent he’s not concerned for the kids’ direction.

“There’s a really powerful internal quality as an artist that as parents we encourage."

Adding, “You have to be comfortable doing things people don’t agree with and you have to be comfortable doing things that you could fail."

© Provided by Bauer Media Pty Ltd

Speaking of his youngest son he mused, “Jaden is 100 per cent fearless, he will do anything."

“As a parent it’s scary, it’s really terrifying, but he is willing to live and die by his own artistic decisions and he just doesn’t concern himself with what people think.”

And while from the outside, it may seem like the world of the Smith family lead mysterious free-form life, it turns out there are still some house rules.

Willow has a curfew of 11.30pm on Fridays and Saturdays, but like most teens her age, she regularly pushes the boundaries.

“When they [the boys] go out, their freedom is slightly different to Willow’s. Willow is a 15 year old girl, so we try to have the same rules but it’s a different world, so we’ve been struggling with that,” the dad quipped.

Moral of the story? Even Will and Jada face the same parental woes as us humans.

Elite Member

I don't think he sounds like he regrets too much.
    rollo likes this.

Syd

I'm trying to imagine what would have happened as a teen if I used "artistic decision" as justification for my behavior. After my parents stopped laughing, it wouldn't have been pretty.

Speaking of his youngest son he mused, “Jaden is 100 per cent fearless, he will do anything."
    Good. Now ask him to jump off of a cliff...
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I don't think his parenting style would have turned out quite as well if those kids didn't have gobs of money to fall back on. I say "well", because as annoying as the kids are, they don't seem to be in trouble...yet. These kids don't have to worry about the things 99% of the population has to worry about. They don't need school, because mom and dad are rich. There's going to be no feet hitting the pavement looking for a job after they graduate.

Elite Member

You don't say.

My screen only showed me: "Will Smith Admits That, Yeah, They..." Knowing the subjects, I thought this was going to be a much more interesting reveal.
    C_is_for_Cookie, sluce and Sleuth like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I don't think his parenting style would have turned out quite as well if those kids didn't have gobs of money to fall back on. I say "well", because as annoying as the kids are, they don't seem to be in trouble...yet. These kids don't have to worry about the things 99% of the population has to worry about. They don't need school, because mom and dad are rich. There's going to be no feet hitting the pavement looking for a job after they graduate.

My thoughts exactly.
    I bet in regular families, or worse in deprived families, this lack of parental guidance would have led to kids being in a lot of troubles, or in a lot of drug dealing, or both
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I seriously can't roll my eyes hard enough at the Smiths and their lack of parenting. Those are the only words I can form on this subject.
    rollo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Should have made their asses stay in school, Will. And said this one word quite a bit: NO.

Well, according to Wiki, a couple of the children did attend a school at one point - one that Will and Jada opened/funded... At least before it was shut down in 2013.

New Village Leadership Academy (NVLA), also known as New Village Academy, was a privateelementary school located in Calabasas, California, USA. Indian Hills High School previously used the campus, and in 2008 actor Will Smith funded New Village Academy and leased the Calabasas facilities for three years.
    Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett-Smith selected the management for the school. Educational methodologies used by the school include Study Technology, Montessori, Gardner, and Brunermethods.
    The school shut down on 28 June 2013 and is no longer active.[1]

Funding[edit]

The school's campus was formerly used by Indian Hills High School,[2] which relocated to Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, California to save money.[3] In 2008, actor Will Smith paid US$889,000 to lease the Calabasas campus for three years, restructuring it from a high school to a private elementary school called New Village Academy.[2] The school is located close to Will Smith's home in Calabasas.[4] In 2004 Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett Smith gave $20,000 to the Scientology home-schooling organization Hollywood Education and Literacy Program (HELP),[5] which is licensed by the non-profit corporation Applied Scholastics.[6]
    Prior to New Village Academy, Smith and Pinkett Smith's two children were home schooled by their mother.[5] The school was originally founded by the Smiths, who say they are not Scientologists, about three years ago as a homeschool for their younger children and those of several other families.[7] Smith and his wife installed their current director of philanthropy, Jana Babatunde-Bey, as the executive director of the school and Jacqueline Olivier as Head of School.[7]

Teaching and staff

Scientology ties

The staff includes a number of Scientologists, including the Director of Learning, Director of Qualifications and Artistic Director,[5] as well as some of the school's teachers.[19] New Village Academy's Director of Learning, formerly the director of HELP in Boston, graduated from the Scientology Delphi School in Milton, Massachusetts.[5] The school's website lists "Study Technology", a form of education developed by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard,[20] as one of its methodologies.[5] The website utilizes Scientology terminology including "spiraling" and "gradient" in order to illustrate how students learn in the school's programs.[5]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Vi...ership_Academy
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

He knows full and well that he looks like a loser parent because Jaden and Willow won't graduate from High School (as it seems) nor will they go to college. And really for a family like the Smiths with that kind of money and when image is really important they pretty much ill-raised these two. Sure Jaden and Willow know they can fall back on money and they haven't gotten into serious trouble (yet) but it should have been a priority for super-important Will and Jada to have them go attend college. Didn't Smith when he was still a "rapper" press that part of his public image, that he won't use foul language and that for his parents, grandparents etc education was always important? Way to go, Will. Way to go.

Also what probably happened was. Back when their kids were younger and they founded that school Will and Jada probably thought the school would flourish and Jaden and Willow would be come super humans because of it and maybe they even planned for a similar college institution. Now that that their school failed, they realize that they ruined their own children's education and their own precious image in the public eye. Dum dum dum...
    Last edited by RobbieLee; February 12th, 2016 at 02:50 PM.
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

Elite Member

If only the kids had at least grown up to be creative or artistic. But they need their superstar daddy to produce vehicles for them to star in. He and Jada have done their kids such a disservice by not encouraging them to study - science, language, art, sport, whatever. They have money, sure, but daddy's money can only take them so far.

Plus they have the money and the secure upbringing by two people who present themselves as down to earth and smart, people just expect the Smith' kids to get the best education money can buy and now what?
    No, no, NOOO. Of course he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn ups on his jeans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information