Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: Rudy Giuliani is really upset, confused about Beyonce’s ‘Black Power’ salute

Default Rudy Giuliani is really upset, confused about Beyonce’s ‘Black Power’ salute

Rudy Giuliani is really upset, confused about Beyonce’s ‘Black Power’ salute

Beyonce came to Super Bowl 50 to slay, and she delivered. She reduced Coldplay to her opening act when she and her posse of back-up dancers strutted onto the field. Bey started by singing her new single “Formation,” which in addition to being one of the best songs she’s put out in the last five years, it’s also (arguably) the most political. “Formation” is being called “Woke Beyonce” and “BeyonceSoBlack.” So, when she came to the field with her dancers, many of us enjoyed the imagery she evoked – the femme Black Panthers, complete with black berets. The costumes were meant to invoke militancy, or more significantly: black militancy. Beyonce and her dancers even raised their fists in the air in a “Black Power” salute. And that has Fox News in a tizzy. Rudy Giuliani is very, very upset.

Beyonce’s “Black Power” salute during the Super Bowl halftime show divided people with some praising her stance and others, like former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, slamming her.
    “I think it was outrageous,” Giuliani said on Fox News Monday. “The halftime show I thought was ridiculous anyway. I don’t know what the heck it was. A bunch of people bouncing around and all strange things. It was terrible. This is football, not Hollywood, and I thought it was really outrageous that she used it as a platform to attack police officers who are the people who protect her and protect us, and keep us alive. And what we should be doing in the African-American community, and all communities, is build up respect for police officers. And focus on the fact that when something does go wrong, okay. We’ll work on that. But the vast majority of police officers risk their lives to keep us safe.”
    [From The NY Daily News]

You know what I think is disgusting? The knee-jerk, purposeful way that conservatives consistently misconstrue the Black Lives Matter movement or any and all black-centered political movements. So Beyonce did a Black Power salute? So what? Why is this equated to “attacking cops”? What, did Beyonce NEED YOUR PERMISSION? I could maybe (MAYBE!) see his point if he was talking about her latest music video, which includes a shot of graffiti with the words “Stop Killing Us.” But even then, that is an entirely legitimate political statement considering cops keep killing black people.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Rudy Giuliani is really upset, confused about Beyonce’s ‘Black Power’ salute
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Well now I'm confused, old Rudy didn't say 9-11 even once in that diatribe. Are we sure he's really Rudy the Aggrieved?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Shows you how much I paid attention to the halftime show. Missed this supposed controversy.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

I listened to "Formation" the other day. The lyrics had me LMAO. There is nothing street about Beyonce, other than she married a thug.
    BITTER, joebob, Bluebonnet and 8 others like this.

^^^Right? She's more country than anything else.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    She talks about being country in it too. The line about carrying hot sauce in her purse. Bitch please, you don't even carry your own purse.

As a white man, I am deeply concerned that a group of scantily dressed African American women with high-heels and black berets will suddenly descend upon me and do God knows what. Okay, that's actually my fantasy - are you happy now???

I saw some noise about this on Facebook. Completely perplexed. I saw the show and had no idea it was an F U to cops. I still can't figure it out. But then again, I'm not trying to be all butthurt.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Rudy, really reaching to be relevant.
    HWBL likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I saw some noise about this on Facebook. Completely perplexed. I saw the show and had no idea it was an F U to cops. I still can't figure it out. But then again, I'm not trying to be all butthurt.
    ITA. I watched, and enjoyed the performance. The political statement went right over my head.
    HWBL likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I didn't have a clue about this,either. It was a great show,IMO. So what if she was attempting a Statement? It was her show,not his. I thought she did great.
    greysfang likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The main eye opener for me was the raised fist posed pictures with signs being held by the dancers in protest after the dance was finished. During the show, i was all "girl power" and sexy at that!! yay!

I didn't watch the Halftime Show or the Super Bowl... Does that make me a traitor to my country?

But, I've heard the song and have seen the music video. I don't see the "controversy."
    It's a song with some pretty explicit lyrics and a pretty clear message.
    There are a lot of songs out there that are worse/more offensive. Regardless, if you don't like it or don't agree with it - don't listen to it. It's that simple.

What I don't agree with is parts of her music video. Though as a whole, I think it's beautifully composed/shot, there's talk of Beyonce/her team "stealing" other people's footage. That I don't agree with.

EDIT: It seems that a majority of the footage is from a specific documentary. And the maker/director of that documentary claims Beyonce's team did reach out, but the director denied access/use of the footage.
    Beyonce's team apparently gave no f*cks and put the footage in anyway... ?

Here's the official music video from her YouTube channel.
    Disclaimer: It's labeled the "dirty" version - so the language/lyrics and/or some of the imagery might be NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCH...ature=youtu.be

Side Note: I think Blue Ivy is starting to look more and more like her father...

Last edited by SoCalMarie; February 10th, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
    arie_skop likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    She's redneck from Houston.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Elite Member

Beyonstage-festo!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information