• 1 Post By Heidi Ho 2.0
  • 1 Post By Sassiness

Thread: Stephen Fry was suicidal and doctors wanted to section him

Elite Member

Default Stephen Fry was suicidal and doctors wanted to section him

Stephen Fry was suicidal and doctors wanted to section him

Mirror
    Tom Bryant 1 hour ago

Stephen Fry was nearly sectioned after trying to kill himself with an overdose.

Fry , 58, attempted suicide with pills and booze while filming a show about homophobia in Uganda in 2012.

His psychiatrist Dr William Shanahan said of his return to the UK: “You arrived sorry you were still alive and wanting to die.”

© Provided by Mirror

He added: “Had he not expressed willingness to accept treatment, I would have applied for a section.”

Bipolar sufferer Fry said: “Some feeling came over me that this was the end.

“I just carefully lined up I don’t know how many of those damn pills and drank all the vodka with them.”

Fry tells all in BBC1’s The Not So Secret Life of the Manic Depressive: 10 Years On, February 15 at 9pm.

The presenter , 58, shed further light on the suicide attempt which came while filming a two-part BBC Two documentary, which saw him confronting anti-gay campaigners in Russia and Uganda.

“I can recall interviewing a Ugandan minister who was a foaming frothing homophobe of the worst kind. It was a very passionate interview and I was very strong in my opinions.

© Provided by Mirror

“I knew I had a bottle of vodka in my room and a whole spongebag full of Ambien. I paced around trying to analyse what it was that disappeared from me and it seemed that the whole essence of me had disappeared.

"Everything that was me wasn’t there. Some feeling came over me that this was the end. I just carefully lined up I don’t know how many of those damn pills and drank all the vodka with them. The next thing I remember I was on the floor and an embarrassed member of the hotel is looking down at the carpet from the doorway, saying ‘you have just got to get him to a hospital’.”

The show also looked at how Fry was diagnosed with bi-polar and how his exhausting trans-Atlantic flights and schedule could be worsening his bi-polar condition.

Fry told how he needed eight hours a night and he often needed prescription drugs and alcohol to get him off to sleep and also how he was becoming increasingly manic.

Robin Williams’ suicide in 2014 also really affected him and put his condition into sharp focus.

“It reminded me that this is not a condition that is ever going to go away. What you’re not talking about is curing me. You’re talking about how best I can cope with something that is going to live with me. It just reminded me that these ghosts don’t go away. It’s never going to get off my back this monkey. No matter how well things seem to be going there’s always the possibility of me getting it wrong.”

The actor and comedian previously told how he attempted suicide after walking out of the West End play Cell Mates in 1995.

The actor made his return to the West End stage in November 2012 as Malvolio in Twelfth Night.

He's a smart guy, should have known vodka and Ambien wouldn't do it.
    Janus likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ I guess when you hit that low you grab whatever is to hand. I remember when I was a kid a neighbour's son tried to commit suicide by drinking whiskey and taking all the pills he found in his mother's bathroom cabinet. Luckily for him they turned out to be contraceptive pills and constipation relief capsules.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

That must be rough with the trans-atlantic flights and trying to be stable. Many bi-polar meds take you eight hours to sleep off. If you don't take them, then interesting times can ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    ^^ I guess when you hit that low you grab whatever is to hand. I remember when I was a kid a neighbour's son tried to commit suicide by drinking whiskey and taking all the pills he found in his mother's bathroom cabinet. Luckily for him they turned out to be contraceptive pills and constipation relief capsules.
    I've been that low trust me.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

OCD

For us lowly non-famous bipolar people, reading this shit is really scary. You'd think the guy would take heed. With all of his money and access to the best doctors and medications, there comes a point with bipolar disorder that you have to admit you can't control it, but you CAN manage it, and do everything in your power to help yourself remain stable.

If you choose not to do that....for me personally it's hard to summon up any sympathy. Some of us have no self awareness, but Stephen does, so to me really he's making his own bed here. Most of us bipolar people know when we're doing things that could make us go off our rocker. Because we resent having to live differently, and tamp down our emotions and ideas. They feel real, and valid, but most of the bipolar people I've talked to know the seduction of mania, and when it starts. It's only caught me off guard once in 37 years, and I sabotaged my life in short order. That alone was enough for me to make sure I don't ever play with fire again.

I cannot fly- it will fuck with my sleep patterns, as will shift work, and choosing stay up all night. Doing any of those alone is enough to enter mania. Add in high stress situations, booze, pills, or illicit drugs, and a bipolar person is fucked. I also have to avoid drama types. And oddly, bipolar people are really good at finding other bipolar people- which is not always the greatest idea when it comes to making friends/lovers.

My doctor said to me that the very best thing for staying stable is to lead as boring and calm a life as possible. I suppose that's harder when you're famous, but if someone has the means to live quietly and stay under the care of good doctors- and you realize that, you've got to take some responsibility for your own health. I've been at the bottom and had no insurance, and nowhere to turn. All Stephen has to do when he feels manic or suicidal is call his doctor, and help will be there. That's not the reality for most mentally ill people. He's a lucky bastard.
    Sassiness likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ But part of the problem with bipolar is that you can have access to the best doctors and the best therapies and all of that and it can still race up to you and knock you back into the pit you try so hard to stay out of or creep up on you so so slowly that you are in the middle of it and literally paralysed and unable to ask for the help you need before you realise what is happening.

That's the cruel nature of mental illness in all its forms.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I don't think that it has to be bipolar either, depression is just like that.
    Belt up - you are not alone, and I hoped to never be able to say that.

Its a shame that discussion/criticism of Mr Fry has distracted from the real focus of this programming.

The Not So Secret Life of the Manic Depressive: 10 Years On

Confirmed for BBC One on 15 February at 9pm to 10pm

Ep 1/1

Monday 15 February

9.00pm-10.00pm

BBC ONE
    NEW

Ten years since Stephen Fry’s The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive started a national conversation about mental health, The Not So Secret Life Of the Manic Depressive: 10 Years On looks at the experiences of Stephen and others with bipolar (as it is now called) now.

As a society, do we need to do more for those with the illness? Is the treatment better? Has the stigma reduced?

In the new film we see how different people of all ages deal with bipolar: we meet Alika, whose manic episode on the London Underground became a YouTube sensation - damning evidence that the stigma of mental illness isn’t diminishing quickly enough; Scott, who is battling to hold down his job as a chef and his role as a husband and father, but whose early attempts to control his bipolar with medication caused intolerable side-effects; and Rachel, whose first manic episode at age 19 led to life-changing injuries when she believed she could fly, leaving her in a wheelchair.

And we return to meet Cordelia who featured in the original series, an academic high-achiever struggling to find a place for herself in the world. Now in her 30s, Cordelia is still battling with bipolar so powerful that it eclipses even the cancer she is dying from.

Interviews with Stephen Fry give a privileged insight into what living with bipolar really means: he talks about the time he attempted suicide when he was filming in Uganda in 2012; how his busy lifestyle exacerbates his condition and the moment he realised his condition couldn't be cured, but only managed.

Stephen is now the president of Mind. Looking at the changes of the past decade, he finds cause for optimism in the increased awareness of bipolar, especially among the young. And the film gives a powerful insight into what it meant to live with bipolar in the past, what it means in the present and - most significantly for the contributors - in the future.

Mind is a UK mental health charity. http://www.mind.org.uk
    Last edited by Novice; February 14th, 2016 at 05:20 AM.
    Kittylady, Belt Up and lindsaywhit like this.

I was in a similar predicament a few months ago.. Thank fuck I got through it.
    Sassiness likes this.

“It reminded me that this is not a condition that is ever going to go away. What you’re not talking about is curing me. You’re talking about how best I can cope with something that is going to live with me. It just reminded me that these ghosts don’t go away. It’s never going to get off my back this monkey. No matter how well things seem to be going there’s always the possibility of me getting it wrong.”

This hits home for me. I have borderline personality disorder, and while sometimes I can pretend to be a normal human being, there are other times when I just can't function in the slightest. It's really hard to explain too. I have had to temper my hope that I can be "cured" (when I thought I 'just' had depression and anxiety) and now have to settle for managing a life long condition. It's really shit.
    Belt Up likes this.

Thread Information