Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Michael Moore hospitalized with pneumonia for a week in New York ICU

Elite Member

Default Michael Moore hospitalized with pneumonia for a week in New York ICU

Michael Moore hospitalized with pneumonia for a week in New York ICU due to 'exhausting schedule'

Michael Moore hospitalized with pneumonia for a week in New York ICU | Daily Mail Online

By Afp and Clemence Michallon For Dailymail.com
    Published: 10:06 EST, 6 February 2016 | Updated: 12:50 EST, 6 February 2016

• Things 'didn't look good' when Moore was admitted on Sunday night
    • Blamed 'exhausting schedule' that includes supporting Bernie Sanders
    • Recently visited his hometown Flint, Michigan, following water crisis
    • Credited good doctors, decent food and Obamacare for his recovery

Michael Moore has spent the week in a New York hospital, where he was treated for pneumonia.

He was admitted to the intensive care unit on Sunday night as things 'didn't look good,' he said in a Facebook post.

The filmmaker, who blamed the illness on his 'exhausting schedule', is recovering and expected to be discharged on Friday.

'Thanks to a combination of good doctors, decent hospital food and 2nd-term Obamacare, I'm doing much better,' he wrote on Facebook.

(Michael Moore spent the week in a New York hospital after being admitted to the ICU with pneumonia on Sunday night. He blamed the illness on his 'exhausting schedule')

Moore had to cancel all of his appearances promoting his upcoming movie, Where To Invade next, for the rest of the week, as he needs to go home and next.

(He had to cancel all appearances promoting his next movie, Where To Invade Next, set to open in a week)

He blamed his illness on an exhausting schedule promoting the film, supporting Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders and trying to draw attention to the poisoned water scandal in his hometown of Flint, Michigan.

'I read somewhere you can't burn it at both ends, and if you do, it's best not to do so in the winter nor anywhere near a place full of toxic water!' he wrote on Facebook.

Moore held a rally in Flint mid-January, claiming Governor Rick Snyder knew that the city's water was contaminated.

The city was under state management when its water supply was switched to the Flint River in April 2014 because it was cheaper.

The water turned out to be more corrosive, and without adequate treatment, leached lead from the pipes, reaching toxic levels of contamination.

Moore has now enlisted his fans to help promote Where to Invade Next, set to open Friday, by sharing trailers and forwarding reviews to their friends and family.

'I can't fly, I have to recover, and in one week this great movie I've put so much of my life into is going to open in theaters -- with little or no assistance from me,' he wrote.

'So, would it be OK to enlist your help in a sort of quickly cobbled-together "army" of grassroots foot soldiers, wherein you could pitch in where you live (and on social media) to let people know about my movie?'

In Where to Invade Next, Moore places himself as a pseudo conqueror who plants the American flag wherever he goes, baffling onlookers.

But the movie actually delves little into US military misadventures abroad.

Instead, Moore uses the term 'invasion' to mean plundering other nations' notions of happy workers, good education, humane prisons and empowered women.

'Thanks to a combination of good doctors, decent hospital food and 2nd-term Obamacare, I'm doing much better,' he wrote on Facebook.
    I can't tell if this sentence was written in sarcasm font or not...
    I'm sure he's sincerely grateful for the doctor's care and the decent food but, that last part - was that suppose to be a passive-agressive "zing"?
    arie_skop likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

He's supporting Obamacare by pretending that he needed it to pay his hospital bills.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    He's supporting Obamacare by pretending that he needed it to pay his hospital bills.
    Ah, Gotcha.
    I was just a little confused - he's pretty set financially, he can certainly afford "private"/single-payer healthcare over the ObamaCare marketplace plans, so that sentence confused me a bit. I didn't know if he was being sarcastic, or sincere and doing a little agenda-pushing...

Here's the thing about private health care - up until the ACA, if you had preexisting conditions (which MM might have), you often couldn't get health coverage at any price and you'd really have to have fuck-you-money to not be completely bankrupted by a serious illness. "Obamacare" isn't very good, but it's got that part right.

Pneumonia is no joke. My 50ish year old cousin who's in pretty good health/shape nearly died of it back in the spring. He had to be in an induced coma for over a week and almost a year later is still not back to normal yet.

I don't think it is about pretending to pay his medical bills. It is about highlighting the importance of healthcare for everyone. He is not in the greatest of health, so as Stella pointed out, he may have been uninsurable. I had breast cancer and no one would cover me for under $1200 a month - for just me!! Thanks to the ACA I now pay $637 a month for me and my daughter. Yes, MM could pay his hospital bill if he had too, but paying a monthly premium is much better than paying the hundreds of thousands he would have been charged for a week in the hospital, including intensive care. My Dad was in for 1 week after massive heart attack that ultimately ended his life. The bill was a little over ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Yes, my Mom could have paid that, and wiped out a large chuck of her retirement fund, but luckily they had insurance.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Thanks to ACA we pay $1200 a month for two healthy adults and two healthy children and have a 5k deductable for family or 2k individual. Then insurance covers 70%.

i had a massive heart attack,was in ic for a week and had all kinds of tests and shit totally free.On my national security only.We whine here but even the ones without any security would go to a national hospital and be looked after.
    I think i wrote about it before,but when i landed at SF airport all these decades back ,first thing i saw was a big placard saying..NEVER GET SICK IN AMERICA...

Makes my 75$ a month for 100% coverage hardly seem like something to bitch about. Premiums just went up in January and everyone was "AGAIN?!?!?!?" I live in Canada and am in the only province that doesn't include premiums in provincial taxes so I have to pay out of pocket. I'm hoping my next job will be with a company who covers my premiums again!
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I don't think it is about pretending to pay his medical bills. It is about highlighting the importance of healthcare for everyone. He is not in the greatest of health, so as Stella pointed out, he may have been uninsurable. I had breast cancer and no one would cover me for under $1200 a month - for just me!! Thanks to the ACA I now pay $637 a month for me and my daughter. Yes, MM could pay his hospital bill if he had too, but paying a monthly premium is much better than paying the hundreds of thousands he would have been charged for a week in the hospital, including intensive care. My Dad was in for 1 week after massive heart attack that ultimately ended his life. The bill was a little over ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Yes, my Mom could have paid that, and wiped out a large chuck of her retirement fund, but luckily they had insurance.
    They can still charge you a higher rate for pre-existing. The law doesn't price fix, they just can't straight up deny.

I just don't think Moore was having trouble paying a premium prior to ACA. I just don't like the guy, so I am biased.

I don't know how the hell the math works under ACA but the plan offered to me was HIGHER than what I was paying and had less coverage.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

In 2011 I had a massive Pancreatitis attack that almost killed me. Every complication you could have with that, It popped up on me, heart failure, 3 giant cysts that were pushing my other organs out of the way, bad gallbladder and Dilaudid every 3 hours for the pain round the clock. 2 months later I was able to come home. I've now been diagnosed as Autoimmune Pancreatitis and every damn month I'm in the E.R. for belly pain. I'm grateful for BC/BS Federal Employees (Mr. Honeythorn works on a Naval Weapons base here in the Mojave), because they paid for EVERYTHING!! I maxed out even the catastrophic portion of the insurance and it was in the millions.
    panic likes this.

I pay $282 (it's about to go up to just over $300) a month for Blue Cross. $5,000 deductible and then the standard 70% ins./30% out-of-pocket.

I see my doctor once a year for a physical/get my lady parts checked and the only Rx's I take is birth control and a low dose beta-blocker if/when my tachycardia is a bother (usually I just cut caffeine for a while to balance it out, I hate taking pills). I'm a healthy woman in my early 30's. Never smoked. Stopped drinking in my 20's. Never had a really serious health issue, surgery, or accident other than a really bad flu/cold. *knocks on wood*

I think I pay way too much per month but, I've always had this random fear of something horrible happening the second raise my deductible. Even if I did, the per-month wouldn't change drastically (about $20 per month less if I went to a $10K deductible). How that math is calculated - I have no idea...

I almost lost my father to a 2nd heart attack a year ago. I took a long break from this board around that time (to care for him).
    It wasn't a sudden thing, he was going through congestive heart failure slowly. He was 64 and couldn't afford health insurance due to his first heart attack in his early 40's, and didn't qualify for Medicare just yet - so he had nothing/no coverage. He didn't want to go to the doctor/hospital because he knew it would mean $$$$. Us (his kids) of course didn't care, and told him we'll figure it out/help. Over the course of about 2 stressful months, he bloated up (water retention) due his heart not functioning properly, then he started having a hard time breathing, hard a hard time walking, then he started getting sick (throwing up the fluid accumulating in his lungs).

He's a stubborn SOB and every time we tried to put him in a car, he would get angry - not a good thing for a person on a verge of a heart attack/death. Finally after 2 months of watching him slowly die, I had my brother-in-law and his friend (a very tall and large person, bouncer-like) go to my Dad's office and physically put him in a car - intervention style. He finally gave in/got in, had a heart attack on the way to the hospital - his heart was done at that point - they took him to the VA Hospital just in time (he's a vet). After heart surgery and 3 stents, and a lot of meds - he's back to normal, thankfully. There are 2 main arteries that connect to the heart. One was 70% blocked, the other 40%.
    What saved his life: Everything - the ER, hospital stay, surgery, and 95% of his medication was/is free.
    (I'd like to add while we're on the subject: healthcare workers - surgeons, resident doctors, nurses - are angels, truly.).

If it weren't for the VA, my father would be dead. All because he couldn't afford/didn't want to put the financial burden on himself/our family. If he had all this done at a non-VA hospital - it would have been cheaper for him to die (burial expenses included) than to live and get treatment.

On the other side of the coin, being so close to the Mexican border, the topic of women coming over to give birth, or immigrants coming over for treatment is always being discussed. They get a free ride while a lot of my tax-paying, law-abiding family and friends are in major debt because of medical bills on top of having/paying for insurance... that doesn't make sense to me.

I believe everyone should have the right/access to healthcare. I don't mind paying a couple dollars extra a month to help the cause (of helping make healthcare accessible for others in one way or another). I realize that there's no solution that will make everyone happy. But, I hope one day, people don't have to decide between death over paying for treatment, or being put in a situation in any way close to that.
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; February 7th, 2016 at 02:09 PM.

Here in Germany, we pay 14,6% of our gross salary for healthcare, which is available to everyone. I cannot imagine paying for health care privately. My husband has multiple sclerosis and injects himself on a daily basis with Copaxone for 8 years by now, a months medication costs around 2,500$. We would be homeless by now, or he couldn't get his medication - which seems to work quite well for him, with only one attack in all the time - which was treated immediately by a really competent team of doctors, without any financial concerns.
    Last edited by Lofty Bike; February 7th, 2016 at 02:42 PM.
    greysfang likes this.

They can still charge you a higher rate for pre-existing. The law doesn't price fix, they just can't straight up deny.

I just don't think Moore was having trouble paying a premium prior to ACA. I just don't like the guy, so I am biased.

I don't know how the hell the math works under ACA but the plan offered to me was HIGHER than what I was paying and had less coverage.
    They ask your age on the application, and that is it. There is no process of asking about your history. The rates are the same for me as they are for my friend who has had no medical issues.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^ ITA, we have insurance through Obamacare, they only ask if if you've used tobacco in the last six months. That's the only thing that will make the rates jump.

I have a friend whose husband took an early retirement so they looked into private health insurance. They both had to take a physical and were turned down. Neither had any major health issues--she took medication for cholesterol and he for blood pressure. Both non-smokers. This was BCBS, same company that covers us under Obamacare.

Another good thing about having it is, even if you have a high deductible, the network providers can only charge you the network rates. If you're uninsured, you're at their mercy.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information