Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Beyoncé held her album back to give Adele time to shine: patronizing or sweet?

Default Beyoncé held her album back to give Adele time to shine: patronizing or sweet?

Beyonce held her album back to give Adele time to shine: patronizing or sweet?

Beyonce and Rihanna are in the same boat these days: both women were working on new albums for much of the past year (perhaps longer), and both women are not talking about when they’ll drop their new albums. Most people think Rihanna’s album is done and she’s just making fans wait before she drops it ahead of her tour. But Beyonce is another mystery altogether. The last time she dropped an album, it was a surprise release on iTunes complete with music videos, etc, etc. Beyonce is also no longer speaking on behalf of Beyonce, so she’s not going to do any advanced press for the album, unlike Rihanna who has been teasing this sh-t in the media for months. It’s totally possible that Rihanna and Beyonce will drop their albums within the same month, just as it’s totally possible that they’re coordinating with each other so no one’s thunder gets stolen. But there’s another theory going around: Beyonce completed her album last year, but held it back because she wanted to give Adele time to shine.

Her last album sold half a million copies in 24 hours. And while Beyonce has reportedly completed her brand new record, sources suggest she has delayed the release in order to allow another superstar to shine. Insiders have told The Sun that The Single Ladies hitmaker wrapped work on her sixth studio album at the end of last year, but she wanted to wait until the ‘hype’ around Adele’s comeback with 25 died down before unleashing her new material.
    It’s thought that Beyonce will follow a similar tactic to her 2013 release, which saw her drop her self-titled fifth record and 14 videos on the same day in December. While the superstar was reportedly ready to release her sixth album at the close of 2015, sources have suggested the star stuck to a ‘code’ by allowing Adele to have her share of the spotlight with her first album in four years.
    ‘It was wrapped up at the end of 2015 but she held off on a release as a code of honour to Adele, so their records didn’t clash,’ an insider has alleged to The Sun. ‘Beyonce doesn’t have the pressure of releasing an album and is doing bits here and there because she and her team know it is Adele’s time to shine. The last few months have been all about her comeback…Now Adele’s sales are starting to die down, Beyonce is ready to drop her album at any time. But there’s a very strong chance the announcement could happen during the Super Bowl next month,’ the insider has added of Beyonce’s plan.
    [From The Daily Mail]

I’m trying to figure out if I think this is patronizing or sweet. Beyonce and Adele are friendly and supportive of one another, and Adele talked a lot about how much she loves Beyonce while she was doing press for 25. I think Beyonce would decide “let Adele have her moment” and on a professional-music level, that’s nice. But I also think Beyonce didn’t want to go head-to-head with Adele because then it wouldn’t be all about Beyonce, you know? Beyonce didn’t want to be outsold by Adele in a head-to-head match-up, and that was part of calculation too. Sigh… it’s really possible that Rih-Rih and Bey will both release albums in February. Can you wait that long?

Photos courtesy of Fame/Flynet, Getty, WENN.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Beyonce held her album back to give Adele time to shine: patronizing or sweet?
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Why the hell would anyone interpret it as "sweet" when the quotes are just describing good business sense? Of course a major female artist would not want to go against Adele.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

That^
    It's a pure business decision.

Just like it's great PR for Beyonce/her team to plant a fluff piece about "letting Adele have her moment" i.e."throwing Adele a bone" (like she needs it?). Adele has a pretty dedicated fan base - I'm fairly certain her album sales wouldn't have been affected regardless.

Beyonce's might of been though...
    Bluebonnet and Lalasnake like this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Way too introspective for Beyonce. Were her lips moving when she gave this quote?

When David Bowie died, it killed Adele being #1 for eons anyway. Thankfully.
    effie2, czb, Beeyotch and 8 others like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

That Adele and James Corden carpool video has 58+ million on Youtube. (compared to Justin Bieber's 56 million, One Direction's 34 million, Mariah Carey's 17 million). With a lot of the commenters noting that they didn't know a lot about Adele/her music but, are now fans because of the video and how fun/likable she is.

Hmm... I wonder if Beyonce's team have her scheduled to appear on his show/carpool bit?

No doubt that Beyonce/her team are aware of the video - they did (Adele and James) mention her name...
    If she does do this bit, I just hope she's not on whatever she was on (allegedly) at that basketball game.

Beyonce has already done a car thing with Gaga. And Adele can't dance so ....

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Beyonce has already done a car thing with Gaga. And Adele can't dance so ....
    Ah yes, that Telephone music video.
    Just speaking in terms of promoting her album/sales/self, drumming up good PR - doing that candid carpool bit with The Late Late show host.
    I think it's highly probable that she/her team have seen how much exposure that little tv bit did for Adele, and will follow suit.

Or is there a Gaga and Beyonce candid carpool video floating around that I'm not aware of?

No, I didn't mean that. I just don't see them as competition but I guess this 'campaign' puts them both in the spotlight (as if they need it.)

No, I didn't mean that. I just don't see them as competition but I guess this 'campaign' puts them both in the spotlight (as if they need it.)
    Yeah, totally agree. I don't see them in competition either. Two totally different sounds, styles, etc. But, this article seems to suggest it - for some odd, random reason. "Sweet" Beyonce pushing back her album release or whatnot and "letting" Adele have "her moment." Like, Beyonce was doing her a favor?

They both are talented and have had a lot of success, why would Beyonce care? It seems she/her team thought it would affect her "numbers"-wise (sales/chart placement, whathaveyou) - in releasing her album around the time Adele released hers.

i.e. Beyonce has a better chance of her album "debuting" on the top 40 at #1 if she wasn't competing against another popular artist.

Just like a movie staring Bradley Cooper and JLaw have a better (money-making) chance releasing a movie not on the same weekend Star Wars is scheduled for release. They're different genres with different fan bases but, still in competition. It's all business/money-motivated in some shape or form.

When David Bowie died, it killed Adele being #1 for eons anyway. Thankfully.
    How fucking rude! He should have waited to die. That would have been the sweet thing to do.

I don't care for either one's music, but at least Adele appears to have a higher-than-room-temperature IQ and is also a lot more likable than Bedunce.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Why do they have to compete? Sure, there is SOME overlap, but by and large, these are different musicians bringing totally different styles and strengths to the stage. One isn't going to bury the other. If someone is going to purchase A, they will do it regardless of B and vice versa.
    Lalasnake likes this.

Elite Member

Beyonce pretending to hold back her album for Adele's sake: patronizing or sweet?

It's like opening a movie the same weekend as Star Wars. Smart business sense. Duh. No way Bey came up with that herself and nothing to do with sweet either.
    arie_skop and Mrs P like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information