Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Mark Ruffalo Will Attend Oscars But Supports the #OscarsSoWhite Boycott

Default Mark Ruffalo Will Attend Oscars But Supports the #OscarsSoWhite Boycott

Mark Ruffalo supports the Oscar boycott but heís still going to the Oscars this year

Here are some photos of Mark Ruffalo and Michael Keaton at last nightís London premiere of Spotlight. As Iíve mentioned several times in the past month, I really, really lovedSpotlight and I thought it was easily one of the best (if not the best) film of 2015. It has a great script, itís well-directed and the ensemble does wonderful work across the board. While Iím still a bit mystified as to why Rachel McAdams was singled out for an Oscar nomination Ė she was good in the film, but her role was not very showy Ė I think Mark Ruffaloís nomination was a good call. He was easily the best part of the film. Heíll likely attend the SAGs to support the ensemble nomination, and he also got a BAFTA nom to go along with his Oscar nom.

While in London, Ruffalo was asked about #OscarsSoWhite and the calls by some people for an Oscar boycott. Ruffalo was thoughtful, as he almost always is, telling the Press Association:

On #OscarsSoWhite: ďI think itís terrible. And I have a lot of sympathy for it (the boycott) and I completely understand why people are protesting. They have to.Ē

Whether he supports the boycott: ďI do. Iíve been really struggling with it myself because I do a lot with ĎBlack Lives Matterí and Iím really struggling because I would in essence probably really seriously think about joining them. Except Iím in a movie thatís representing a whole other group of disenfranchised people who have no voice in the world and this movie means so much to them. And so I totally get it and I support them but I have to demur and I have to stand up for the people I have to stand up for.Ē

On the Catholic Churchís coverup of abuses: ďItís so outrageous, and it clearly has been going on for a very long time. And so a lot of people had to turn the other way for this to have been under wraps for so long. Iím just happy that now we are having this conversation and these poor, suffering souls who were the victims of these crimes finally get a voice and finally have been noticed. This is not particular to Boston or to America, it has clearly been happening everywhere. And I feel like we have a pope now who is probably more willing than any other pope in the past decades to start to address this issue.Ē

[Via The Independent]
    I donít hold it against him and I donít think anyone else should either. Itís fine if some celebrities want to boycott, and itís fine if many donít. I said days ago that I didnít really think a boycott by African-American entertainers would do all that much (especially since the Academy already seems to be boycotting them in everything but name). I do trust that Ruffalo is an ally to a host of disenfranchised groups, but I think itís pretty clear that heís proud of Spotlight, heís proud of his work and heís proud of his Oscar nomination, as he should be.

I don't really care about this story, I'm only posting because we don't get nearly enough of Mark.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Don't say you support the boycut and then attend anyway. Goddamnit Mark, I thought you were better than this.

I'm not mad at him, he says the cause he supports through his movie is equally important to him, and I agree. The Priest sex abuse scandal is major.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

So now is everyone supposed to skip the Oscars because Will Smith didn't get a nom?

Cuz the lack of diversity has always been there but now the Smith's are pissed and you're an asshole if you go?
    joebob, Ravenna, holly and 17 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I agree, the lack of diversity has always been there. I'm thinking if Will was nominated, Jada wouldn't have a word to say about lack of diversity. Maybe, in your case Jada, it's more lack of talent than diversity.
    joebob, redcat, BITTER and 2 others like this.

I think my eyes just went cross.

It's not exactly a sacrifice for Will and Jada to boycott the oscars since they haven't been invited, which makes their stand rather hollow. (Admittedly I haven't checked that they're not on any producer credits.) The presenters are invited and announced later - unless I've missed something - so how can it be a 'boycott'?
    arie_skop likes this.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Elite Member

I don't understand why this is a news item. He's going to the Oscars, despite his views. Why should we care?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    On #OscarsSoWhite: “I think it’s terrible. And I have a lot of sympathy for it (the boycott) and I completely understand why people are protesting. They have to.”
    This quote really bothers me for two reasons.

1) I don't understand how you can support a boycut, and still attend. He can support the cause (anti-racism, blm), and still attend, but if you support a boycut, you can't also go to the event. It's not that I think everyone should boycut. I think they should attend and bring awareness to the cause in every single acceptance speach. As someone stated in the Jada thread, this problem is bigger that the Oscars, a boycut will not solve it.
    I also feel bad for the minority nominees in the non-acting categories (hopefully there are some). I hope no one gives them a hard time for attending what is a big moment in their career.

2) He thinks "they" have to (boycut). This whole they vs. us is part of the problem. I think if you want to convince old white men, that they suffer from white male priviledge, you need a white, priviledged man to tell them so, in order for them to listen. (Just like it took a man to call out Bill Cosby). Hopefully Mark will get a chance to tell them in his acceptance speech, but I fear that Mark himself is lost in white male priviledge.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    So now is everyone supposed to skip the Oscars because Will Smith didn't get a nom?

Cuz the lack of diversity has always been there but now the Smith's are pissed and you're an asshole if you go?
    Exactly! They Smiths can stay home and have their own little pity party.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post

Exactly. People are free to protest, not protest, boycott or not boycott and there shouldn't be any pressure on anyone.
    arie_skop likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I agree, the lack of diversity has always been there. I'm thinking if Will was nominated, Jada wouldn't have a word to say about lack of diversity. Maybe, in your case Jada, it's more lack of talent than diversity.
    I agree, if Will was nominated then Jada never would've said anything and would've attended the ceremony. I dont recall Jada speaking out about lack of diversity in the past?
    redcat, sputnik and holly like this.

Default Occupy Hollywood

Leo Di Caprio should join the boycott. He'll have an excuse for not winning this year, with a semblance of credibility! He already did that love scene with a bear, so why let Hollywood screw you over twice in one year (It's shameful that since Titanic that's as close as he's allowed to come to Romantic Male Lead)?
    Last edited by AgentOrange; January 27th, 2016 at 08:52 AM.
    arie_skop likes this.

I agree that everyone that wins should say something about the non-diversity happening. Every speech should have a say. That would bring more than a boycott anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    The Smiths can stay home and have their own little pity party.
    It will be a swingers' pity party

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I agree that everyone that wins should say something about the non-diversity happening. Every speech should have a say. That would bring more than a boycott anyday.
    Most of them won't. Hollywood likes for everyone to think that they are liberal, and for the most part they are - to a point. That point being getting an award and getting face time.
    Mrs P, Sassiness and lindsaywhit like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!Ē Anonymous Introvert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information