Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Shinola

Thread: Linda Perry: Lady Gaga didnít really co-author her Oscar-nominated song

Default Linda Perry: Lady Gaga didnít really co-author her Oscar-nominated song

Linda Perry: Lady Gaga didnít really co-author her Oscar-nominated song

This yearís Best Song category at the Oscars is full of some interesting choices. Sam Smithís ďWritingís On the WallĒ is nominated, which makes me happy because itís a really beautiful song. The Weekndís ďEarned ItĒ is up for an Oscar, which is surprising because itís A) a good song and B) itís a very, very popular song. And in case you missed it, Lady Gaga was nominated in this category. She cowrote the song ďíTil It Happens To YouĒ with Diane Warren for the documentary The Hunting Ground. It seemed like everything was coming up GAGA, first a Golden Globe for her acting, and now an Oscar nomination for Best Song.
    The nomination in Best Song goes to the people who wrote the song rather than the artist performing the song. Since Lady Gaga is known as a singer-songwriter, I didnít really think much about the fact that she and Diane Warren were listed as co-songwriters. But Linda Perry (of Four Non-Blondes) took issue with it. And itís really, really funny. Linda got on her Twitter on Monday and sent out a series of tweets questioning Gagaís Oscar eligibility for this particular song. You can read the tweets here, and here they are, compiled for readability:

Normally I wouldnít respond to all this but I donít know Iím feeling spunky. There was another artist that originally was gonna sing #TIHTY. I have Dianeís original demo with her singing. The only line that has been changed ďTill youíre at the end, the end of your rope.Ē Originally was ďTIL YOU GOT A HOLE RIPPED IN YOUR SOULĒ. So I guess technically one line was changed so sure Gaga possibly ďrewroteĒ a line. But chances are Diane still took part in rewriting that line which means Gaga contributed a few words. Is that writing? Not in my book.
    I love Gaga so much respect and love this song that has nothing to do with anything. Why did Gaga get credit? Maybe because Diane wanted to ensure her support in promoting the song. Gaga is a very smart business women she knew a song written by Diane Warren would be up for an Oscar. And you know itís hard getting music out there and heard. Especially a song from a documentary , so Diane knew if she gave Gaga writing credit it would ensure the support this song needed and deserved. And Gaga knows her power. Iím not putting anyone or anything down. Iím stating the truth . I credit Diane for writing this song, it is her experience her pain her words. Thatís it kids.
    Listen, one of you Gaga kids got upset when I said Diane wrote a great song. You canít win on Twitter. Iím stating why I didnít include. Thereís no bitterness, Iíve stated Gaga killed this song so powerful so blown away by her performance. Donít turn things negative. Iím stating my truth thatís it if you donít like it, itís ok just donít spend anytime here.
    [From Linda Perryís Twitter]

You know who I would accuse to falsifying co-writer credits before Lady Gaga? Beyonce. Beyonce does this all the damn time, and she bullies songwriters into giving her co-authorship only if she just changed one line or so. Iím sure there are many big performers who pull this kind of thing regularly, but Iím just sayingÖ Beyonce is known for those kinds of shenanigans. As for GagaÖ I donít think Linda Perry was exactly throwing shade, I think Perry was and is pissed off that Diane chose to or felt she had to give co-authorship credit to Lady Gaga for not doing much of anything as far as WRITING the song. And Gaga still would have been able to perform at the Oscars, even if she didnít get a songwriting credit. Now if the song wins, Lady Gaga will have the O in her EGOT. Boooooo!!!

Photos courtesy of WENN.

ę Previous Post Next Post Ľ

Cele|bitchy | Linda Perry: Lady Gaga didn’t really co-author her Oscar-nominated song
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Can't believe I'm gonna defend Caca here but Diane Warren has responded and said that these claims are false. Not sure why it is any of Linda Perry's problem any way.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

The assertion may be absolutely true, but Linda Perry probably shouldn't have said anything. Or she should have talked about this issue in general terms rather than outing other musicians who intended to keep this private.

I used to be active in songwriting, and my songwriting mentor (very professional, a bigshot in Taxi and in other mentor / teacher circles) told his students that if someone contributed anything to your song lyrically or melodically (except for a teacher like him), the standard practice is to offer a cowriting credit. Now, if I gave someone a few words and they offered me a cowrite, I'd say no. But the thing is, if a song were to become a big hit, then the person who contributed some material could come in legally and demand some of the royalties, and it would cost a lot of money to untangle the mess. So it's better to just call it a cowrite.

And anyway, for Diane Warren this would be a no-brainer, because with Gaga attached the song would be more apt to sell a lot of copies, and therefore she'd make more even if she were splitting the royalties. But if I were Gaga, if it's true she contributed only a snippet of lyrics, I'd be sort of embarrassed to possibly accept an Academy Award for a song I had so little hand in actually writing.

In the back-and-forth on this, everyone has sort of stopped short of saying Gaga really truly cowrote this song in the full sense of the word. They've been careful with their words. This is just standard practice in the industry, and the only time it's truly ugly is when an artist pressures or forces a songwriter to split their royalties. By now, the coercion may be just built into the system, though.
    stef and Lalasnake like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

It also reminds me of the agreement that Lennon and McCartney had that no matter how much or how little each of them contributed on a song, the credits would be "Lennon McCartney". In a Playboy interview in 1980, Lennon pretty exhaustively details how much each contributed to the most well-known Beatles songs. It was pretty interesting.

Couldn't Linda have talked to Diane instead of going public and making people uncomfortable?
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Elite Member

Typical "line for a dime" shite that all big names do. I'm not surprised and I'm glad she's been called out on it

Elite Member

Why the fuck does Linda Perry have teardrop tattoo on her face? LOL

I thought there was an update and Linda had "apologised" for her original assertion? Hmm.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Thread Information