Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By holly
  • 4 Post By A*O

Thread: Elton John makes partial peace with his mother

Default Elton John makes partial peace with his mother

GIRL ABOUT TOWN: Sir Elton John's £30k hip op bid to make peace with 90-year-old mother following long-running feud

By CHARLOTTE GRIFFITHS, DIARY EDITOR FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
    PUBLISHED: 00:07, 17 January 2016 | UPDATED: 01:40, 17 January 2016

They have been estranged for eight years, but Sir Elton John has extended an olive branch to his mother Sheila Ė by paying for her double hip replacement at a top private hospital.
    In a gesture hinting that the singer is ready to end their long-running feud, he picked up the bill of about £30,000 for the 90-year-oldís one-week stay at the Wellington Hospital in St Johnís Wood.
    But Eltonís efforts at a reconciliation may have been in vain Ė because Sheila doesnít get on with her sonís husband David Furnish.

+2

Sir Elton John has paid for his mother Sheila's double hip replacement at a top private hospital. They are pictured together after the singer received an Honorary Doctorate from the Royal Academy of Music

Sources in Sir Eltonís camp revealed that Furnish had been encouraging him to get back in touch with his mother, and advised him to spare no expense so that Sheila could have the surgery.

The hospital charges £11,500 per hip replacement on top of room charges and after-care fees.
    The source said: ĎDavid believes that paying for the surgery is in itself an important gesture. David is happily telling friends that they are all back in touch. Elton has been in touch at least twice since her 90th birthday in July. There is a reconciliation in progress.í

However, Sheila painted a different picture, saying: ĎIt is good of him to pay and I do appreciate it. I would love it [a reconciliation] to happen Ė I am his mother. But I donít see it happening, at least not while Mr Furnish is around.í
    Elton, 68, and David, 53, became civil partners in 2005 when Sheila was working as Eltonís housekeeper. She quit in 2008 when Elton demanded she cut staff members Bob Halley, his former PA, and John Reid, his ex-manager, out of her life. She refused and he vowed never to speak to her again.
    Sheila has accused David, who married Elton last year, of turning her son against her.

Read more: Sir Elton John's £30k hip op bid to make peace with 90-year-old mother | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

IDK if him paying for her surgery is necessarily extending the olive branch, it's just more like it's the decent thing to do when you have fuckloads of money. I'm sure he loves his mom even if they aren't getting along well these days.

A*O

She may dislike her son in law but she's making a big mistake to allow it to drive a wedge. Elton seems very happy and stable these days which she should be glad about. She also has two grandsons to consider. She's 90; life is short. You can't kiss and make up when it's too late.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldnít be surprised - Dorothy Parker

How do you make partial peace?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    She may dislike her son in law but she's making a big mistake to allow it to drive a wedge. Elton seems very happy and stable these days which she should be glad about. She also has two grandsons to consider. She's 90; life is short. You can't kiss and make up when it's too late.
    Why is it her fault? Elton is the one who is going to lose her soon as well.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Elton, 68, and David, 53, became civil partners in 2005 when Sheila was working as Eltonís housekeeper. She quit in 2008 when Elton demanded she cut staff members Bob Halley, his former PA, and John Reid, his ex-manager, out of her life. She refused and he vowed never to speak to her again.
    That just seems so weird to me that she would be working for her own son as his housekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    That just seems so weird to me that she would be working for her own son as his housekeeper
    Especially since when she quit in 2008 she would have been about 83 years old.

Elite Member

She probably just managed the staff. I doubt she washed his undies. That would be weird.

Thread Information