Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarryOn

Thread: Mos Def ordered to leave South Africa, passport printed off internet

Default Mos Def ordered to leave South Africa, passport printed off internet

By Katia Hetter CNN
    Mos Def ordered to leave South Africa

Rapper/actor tried to leave country with 'World Passport' document

UPDATED 12:59 PM EST Jan 15, 2016

Frazer Harrison, Getty
    (CNN) óMos Def, the hip hop recording artist and actor, learned that a "World Passport" does not make him a citizen of the world -- especially when it comes to South African officials.

Mos Def, who now goes by the name Yasiin Bey and whose birth name is Dante Terrell Smith, was arrested at Cape Town International Airport for trying to leave the country on an illegal "World Passport" document, Mayihlome Tshwete, spokesman for the South African Department of Home Affairs, told CNN.
    Bey appeared in court on Friday.
    "The Department Of Home Affairs has given Mr Smith and his family 14 days to leave the republic," tweeted Tshwete.
    Brooklyn-born Smith, 42, and his family had been living in South Africa "without the necessary permits," and they were detained for using illegal travel documents as they were leaving the country,Tshwete tweeted.
    Smith entered South Africa on a legitimate U.S. passport, but he overstayed his visitor's permit, Tshwete said. He tried to leave using a "World Passport," a dubious document that can be printed off of the Internet.
    The name used on the passport was Yasiin Bey.
    "This is a tricky case," said Tshwete, because the person would normally be deported to his or her home country. However, Tshwete says that Smith has renounced his American citizenship.
    The artist has had trouble re-entering the United States while living in South Africa, canceling a 2014 tour because of U.S. immigration issues, according to the New York Daily News.
    Smith is known for his thoughtful, consciousness-raising hip hop lyrics but was better known for his acting. He appeared on broadway in the Pulitzer Prize-winning "Topdog/Underdog" and in several films, including "Monster's Ball," "Brown Sugar" and two films with the late Alan Rickman: "Something the Lord Made" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
    Mos Def ordered to leave South Africa | Entertainment - WESH Home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Passport
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

What the hell?!? I love Mos Def but clearly I haven't been keeping up with him lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Well this is rivalling Meek Mill's cold water drug test sample as the most stupid thing a celebrity has done in the past month.

So many questions...
    (Please excuse my ignorance, I don't know a lot of Mos Def nor the specifics of citizenships/temporary visa rules and regulations)

-Why did he renounce his American citizenship in the first place?
    -Why was he living in South Africa?
    -Why was he trying to leave South Africa using a fake document?
    (Couldn't he have just shown his expired visa and caused less legal "trouble" for himself/his family? - Instead of using a fake document?)
    -So where do you go if you renounce citizenship from your country of origin, and don't have a valid passport or visa?
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; January 15th, 2016 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Countries & Basic Comprehension Aren't My Strong-Suits ;)
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Bronze Member

From the articles I've read, it seems to me that most Americans are giving up their US citizenships for

1) lower taxes or some other financial incentive (the rich of course want to be taxed less and expatriates don't want to be beholden to being taxed an income they didn't make in the USA or spending thousands to have someone in the USA to complete the complicated tax process) or
    2) to prove that they can't be controlled, they don't agree with what's going on in their own countries or ay country, etc. more sociopolitical reasons.

Sounds like Mos could be a part of the latter due to that Citizen of the World nonsense paper, because the ones who do it for financial reasons, just become citizens of another country. He should've just became a citizen of a SA or another country.
    SoCalMarie likes this.

Thread Information