Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: David Bowie has died

Default David Bowie has died

David Bowie Dead: Legendary Artist Was 69 - Hollywood Reporter

Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69

by Mike Barnes, THR Staff 1/10/2016 10:42pm PST

The singer-songwriter and producer dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career.

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his representative confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.*

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.*

The influential singer-songwriter and producer dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career.*

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the Top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art-rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured Top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

SEE MORE Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2015
    With his different-colored eyes (the result of a schoolyard fight) and needlelike frame, Bowie was a natural to segue from music into curious movie roles, and he starred as an alien seeking help for his dying planet in Nicolas Roeg’s surreal The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Critics later applauded his three-month Broadway stint as the misshapen lead in 1980’s The Elephant Man.

Bowie also starred in Marlene Dietrich’s last film, Just a Gigolo (1978), portrayed a World War II prisoner of war in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983), and played Pontius Pilate in Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ (1988). And in another groundbreaking move, Bowie, who always embraced technology, became the first rock star to morph into an Internet Service Provider with the launch in September 1998 of BowieNet.

Born David Jones in London on Jan. 8, 1947, Bowie changed his name in 1966 after The Monkees’ Davy Jones achieved stardom. He played saxophone and started a mime company, and after stints in several bands, he signed with Mercury Records, which in 1969 released his album Man of Words, Man of Music, which featured “Space Oddity,” a poignant song about an astronaut, Major Tom, spiraling out of control.

In an attempt to stir interest in Ziggy Stardust, Bowie revealed in a January 1972 magazine interview that he was gay — though that might have been a publicity stunt — dyed his hair orange and began wearing women’s garb. The album became a sensation.

Wrote rock critic Robert Christgau: “This is audacious stuff right down to the stubborn wispiness of its sound, and Bowie's actorly intonations add humor and shades of meaning to the words, which are often witty and rarely precious, offering an unusually candid and detailed vantage on the rock star’s world.”

Bowie changed gears in 1975. Becoming obsessed with the dance/funk sounds of Philadelphia, his self-proclaimed “plastic soul”-infused Young Americans peaked at No. 9 with the single “Fame,” which he co-wrote with John Lennon and guitarist Carlos Alomar.

After the soulful but colder Station to Station, Bowie again confounded expectations after settling in Germany by recording the atmospheric 1977 album Low, the first of his “Berlin Trilogy” collaborations with keyboardist Brian Eno.

In 1980, Bowie brought out Scary Monsters, which cast a nod to the Major Tom character from “Space Oddity” with the sequel “Ashes to Ashes.” He followed with Tonight in 1984 and Never Let Me Down in 1987 and collaborations with Queen, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, The Pat Metheny Group and others. He formed the quartet Tin Machine (his brother Tony played drums), but the band didn’t garner much critical acclaim or commercial gain with two albums.

Bowie returned to a solo career with 1993’s Black Tie White Noise, which saw him return to work with his Spider From Mars guitarist Mick Ronson, then recorded 1995’s Outside with Eno and toured with Nine Inch Nails as his opening act. He returned to the studio in 1996 to record the techno-influenced Earthling. Two more albums, 1999’s hours … and 2002’s Heathen, followed.

More to come.

@mikebarnes4
    THRnews@thr.com
    Facebook Twitter Email
    Last edited by Moongirl; January 11th, 2016 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Add story

Default David Bowie dead

Oh my goodness Secretly battling cancer for 18 months.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

Default David Bowie has died of cancer at 69

Music Star David Bowie Dies From Cancer Aged 69

David Bowie has died from cancer at the age of 69, the singer's son has confirmed.
    Duncan Jones wrote on Twitter: "Very sorry and sad to say it's true. I'll be offline for a while. Love to all."

This statement was posted on his Facebook page

Statements were posted on the star's official Facebook and Twitter accounts at around 6.30am on Monday.
    The statement read: "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer.
    "While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."
    Bowie released his 29th album, called Blackstar, on Friday, to coincide with his 69th birthday.

Noooooo

he was in my death pool after what courtney love hinted on howard stern a while ago.

I'm a bit shocked, just yesterday we were talking about him. I had no idea he was sick... Rest in Peace David! This is so sad
    -

I've known he was sick since 2012 or so so I'd say he held well and I'm happy for him. But I'm still listening to Starman and crying like an idiot as I'm trying to get ready to take the kid to kindergarten. I didn't think it would affect me this much.
    sputnik, Mrs P and bootspaige like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Rest in peace Mr Bowie, you gave me lots of great tunes in the 80s to dance to. You will be missed.
    Go Habs Go!!

Absolutely gutted. What an amazing man. It just doesn't seem real....
    rollo likes this.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

I can't believe it. This one hurts bad, really really bad. RIP Ziggy Stardust
    Lalasnake and bootspaige like this.
    Your penis is NOTHING to brag about! Is it normal for a penis to smell like corn chips?" Lark Voorhees

Elite Member

Shocked. Just can't believe it. I had no idea he was sick.
    Don't know what to say. Just totally stunned.

RIP David Bowie
    Lalasnake likes this.

What a shock. Didn't have a clue he was ill. Loved him and saw him live twice. Both times he was amazing. What a beautiful, gifted talented man he was. RIP Mr Bowie. You will be greatly missed.

Blackstar came out just 3 days ago, I thought that maybe he would do a tour.
    RIP!
    JazzyGirl likes this.

No fucking way.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oh my God. This can't be real.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information