Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Oscar Isaac’s Ayn Rand t-shirt broke a million heart-emojis

Default Oscar Isaac’s Ayn Rand t-shirt broke a million heart-emojis

Sorry about your boyfriend, Internet: Why Oscar Isaac’s Ayn Rand t-shirt broke a million heart-emojis

Fans feel "so betrayed" seeing the "Star Wars" heartthrob in an "Atlas Shrugged" shirt

An actor, a T-shirt – what’s the big deal? But an old photo of Oscar Isaac, who plays the brooding folk musicians in “Inside Llewyn Davis” and a courageous pilot in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” has the Internet in an uproar. One former fan calls herself “deeply betrayed.”

Why are people – or at least, people on Tumblr – so bent out of shape about a pic from 2009 that shows Isaac sporting an “Atlas Shrugged” t-shirt? Let’s walk through this for a second.

It may be because we assume most actors are left-leaning hipsters and like all the things left-leaning hipsters approve of. A lot of them are. And there is little sign that the “Atlas Shrugged” author was in any way hip — for what it’s worth, Rand defined herself against the political left quite literally: She fled the U.S.S.R. during the Stalin years, and the heroes of her novels were noble, defiant individualists who stood up to the sheeplike masses and oppressive forces of mediocrity. Instead of environmental causes or human rights issues, Rand and her protagonists preached the virtue of selfishness. (She and George Clooney or Oprah Winfrey would probably not get aloncom

Could part of the cognitive dissonance come from the fact that Isaac is Latino? In the United States far-right politics tend to belong to Caucasians, so maybe folks can’t get their heads around that. (For what it’s worth, Isaac’s father came from Cuba.) Okay, maybe this is part of it.

The shock most likely comes from the fact even those who know better project their hopes and dreams and tastes and everything else onto actors. That’s why these people can act, after all: There’s got to be something open and undefined about anyone who can impersonate other people for a living. (Perhaps Isaac-adoring Ayn Rand enthusiasts are feeling validated right now – they always knew he was on their team!)

But Isaac is not just another cool young dude caught with something that doesn’t play in hipsterville. He’s also the newest version of Ryan Gosling, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Idris Elba – what New York magazine’s The Cut calls the Internet’s boyfriend. Here goes:

Have you heard the news? We’re all in love with Oscar Isaac now. He’s filling up your Tumblr dash, blanketing your Twitter feed, and featuring in your daydreams. He is the internet’s new boyfriend.
    … As with others, you can find him in the popular media of the moment. The attraction starts with The Force Awakens and grows from there, finding expression in GIFs, quotes, and photos. When real men disappoint us — in their politics, their bullshit, their basic human inconsistencies — the internet’s boyfriend is a paragon of enlightened masculinity, constructed by committee.

Imagine Elba turning out to be a really serious Billy Joel fan, say, or Cumberbatch caught sneaking out of a Maroon 5 concert, or Gosling sporting a mullet, and you get a sense of the stakes here.

The irony on this one is that there is little evidence that Isaac is political in any way, either left or right. He probably grabbed the shirt because of its retro graphics and thought he’d look cool in it. The novel came out in 1957 and has a very snazzy midcentury style.

So what happens when someone disappointed by an actual boyfriend or husband flees to an Internet crush like Isaac, and he disappoints them all over again? We seem to be moving into a new category here – a sort of Internet rebound boyfriend. There’s got to be a better phrase for this, though.

Either way: Sorry, but nothing says kryptonite to smart fan girls like “Atlas Shrugged.”

Sorry about your boyfriend, Internet: Why Oscar Isaac’s Ayn Rand t-shirt broke a million heart-emojis - Salon.com

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
    gas_chick and Lalasnake like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

(Credit: AP/Jordan Strauss/Photo montage by Salon) Oscar Isaac and Ayn Rand.

(Oscar Isaac's fans are uncomfortable with the 'Star Wars' star wearing an Ayn Rand T-shirt)

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
    Love it. Reminds me of another quote (nothing to do with Ayn Rand):

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

Hunter S Thompson
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

It's just a t-shirt for christ's sake.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Who gives a shit? as long as he takes it off for sex...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

There are too many sensitive little bitches in this world that get offended at everything.

They should all go drink a bottle of antifreeze.
    coolade likes this.

It's not only just a tee shirt, but it's a 7 year old photo! Who gives a fuck? Maybe he bought it for two bucks at a shop and thought it was comfy.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Lalasnake like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

The pic is from 2009? Have they taken this long to discover Ayn Rand?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I'm ignorant, I have admittedly barely heard of the author, much less ever read the aforementioned book, so can someone explain why the t-shirt is so offensive?
    electrocuted_sheep likes this.

I'm more disturbed by his murse (man-purse) than his shirt...

Just kidding, I couldn't care less about the photo.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Hehe, when this guy showed up in The Force Awakens I was like "Hey, it's Oscar whatshisface, wookie nominated him in the game! I can see why!" but they were showing just his face and he's very handsome with lovely long eyelashes, he really got me. But once I got a better look at him there is just something about his body proportions that really doesn't work for me. I guess cause he's short. I looked it up, he's 1.74 m and though that's still taller than me and should work his head to body ratio is a bit off so I'll leave him to you.
    gas_chick likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I'm ignorant, I have admittedly barely heard of the author, much less ever read the aforementioned book, so can someone explain why the t-shirt is so offensive?
    It's offensive to some, due to the fact that there are ignorant people out there that actually think that they have a right to not be offended. In this situation, they are offended by the fact that he is wearing a t shirt that is based on a book that is about things that they do not agree with. They on the other hand, feel triggered by the appearance of the shirt on a man that they will probably never meet, much less date. But nevermind that. They feel that they have been offended. Which apparently should be the most important thing in the world.

We all should walk on eggshells to make sure we do not offend this little PC bitches.
    Last edited by joebob; January 8th, 2016 at 07:15 AM.
    idunno likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    It's offensive to some, due to the fact that there are ignorant people out there that actually think that they have a right to not be offended. In this situation, they are offended by the fact that he is wearing a t shirt that is based on a book that is about things that they do not agree with. They on the other hand, feel triggered by the appearance of the shirt on a man that they will probably never meet, much less date. But nevermind that. They feel that they have been offended. Which is apparently should be the most important thing in the world.

We all should walk on eggshells to make sure we do not offend this little PC bitches.
    I wish, I could 'like' this more than once.
    joebob and coolade like this.

I don't think anyone is offended, more like disappointed that their crush could potentially turn out to be a right wing libertarian ayn rand worshipping douche. It's like finding out that rock star you thought was cool is voting for Donald Trump.
    it's a little silly because it's not like they were ever going to date the guy but joebob needs to reel it in, no one is being "triggered" here, at most some lady boners wilted and a few crushes ended.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I don't think anyone is offended, more like disappointed that their crush could potentially turn out to be a right wing libertarian ayn rand worshipping douche. It's like finding out that rock star you thought was cool is voting for Donald Trump.
    it's a little silly because it's not like they were ever going to date the guy but joebob needs to reel it in, no one is being "triggered" here, at most some lady boners wilted and a few crushes ended.
    Nope. I'm being truthful here. They are offended. And they do not want to see or hear things that they are offended by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information