Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Mel Gibson to present an award at the Golden Globes

Elite Member

Default Mel Gibson to present an award at the Golden Globes

Mel Gibson to present an award at the Golden Globes

The Guardian
    Henry Barnes and agencies 12 hrs ago

(© Kevin Winter / Getty Images) Actor Mel Gibson attends the premiere of Warner Bros. Pictures' 'Mad Max: Fury Road'

Mel Gibson will present an award at Sunday night’s Golden Globes ceremony, organisers at the Hollywood Foreign Press Association have reported.

The star, infamous for his drunken, antisemitic tirade at an LA police officer in 2006, as well as a series of furious recorded rants against an ex-girlfriend, and screenwriter Joe Eszterhas, will appear alongside the ceremony’s host, Ricky Gervais, at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills.

(© Provided by Guardian News) Ricky Gervais hosting the 68th Golden Globe Awards in 2011.

The pair last shared a stage at the 2010 Globes when Gervais, introducing Gibson, said: “I like a drink as much as the next man, unless the next man is Mel Gibson!”

Gervais greeted the news that Gibson will be reappearing at the Globes with glee. “Mel Gibson is presenting an award at the Golden Globes. Thank you Jesus,” he wrote on Twitter.

The comedian, who recently wrapped on his The Office spin-off film Life on the Road, will host the ceremony for the fourth time this weekend, after a successful three-year run by co-hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.
    His previous appearances, which took place between 2010 and 2012, and saw the ratings of the televised ceremony climb, were notable for Gervais’s bracing material, which made jibes about Scientology, the HFPA top brass and Robert Downey Jr. The Iron Man star, who in 2011 Gervais introduced by referencing the actor’s stint in rehab, was reportedly angry at Gervais for the joke, calling his wisecracks “mean-spirited”. It was later revealed that he was in on the joke.

Gervais, who told the Hollywood Reporter this week he was shocked that anyone found his Globes material shocking, has said that he will avoid jokes that cause “collateral damage”.

“I wasn’t trying to bring anyone down, I wasn’t trying to undermine the moral fabric of America. I was making jokes,” he said of his previous appearances. “I suppose they weren’t used to it being a bit of a tease and a bit of a roast. But I made the decision: do I pander to 200 fragile egos in the room or 200 million people watching at home?”

Meanwhile, Gibson’s appearance will likely be read as another step on the actor and director’s long road to career rehabilitation. He made a directorial comeback with the second world war drama Hacksaw Ridge, which began shooting in Australia last September. That project followed acting roles such as the nefarious gun-for-hire Stonebanks in The Expendables 3 and as a depressed executive who talks through a hand puppet in Jodie Foster’s The Beaver. Foster, alongside Downey and Gary Oldman, has been among the Hollywood stars calling for Gibson’s return.

I'm all for it. It gives Gervais some great material.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

And the producers potentially great ratings.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

" ..and now, for the best portrayal of a Nazi. The winner is..."

*fumbles with envelope*

"Fucking Jews! Jews are responsible for all the fucking un-openable envelopes." (co-presenter backs away)

"Where do you think you're going, sugartits?"
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Hmm.. This could be interesting... Or not eventful at all.

Either way, I'm just going to read about it the next morning instead of watching two hours of ass-kissing, fake smiles, and awkward teleprompter reading.

Anyone wanna start a pool on what award he'll be presenting?
    It's totally not going to be the last award of the night to make people watch/wait throughout the entire broadcast.
    Nope, definitely not.

Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Can you guys believe that Mel's nutty dad, Hutton, is still alive (97)??? Heaven doesn't want him and Hell is afraid he'll convert everyone to Trutherism.

mel's looking gross as usual.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Hmm.. This could be interesting... Or not eventful at all.

Either way, I'm just going to read about it the next morning instead of watching two hours of ass-kissing, fake smiles, and awkward teleprompter reading.

Anyone wanna start a pool on what award he'll be presenting?
    It's totally not going to be the last award of the night to make people watch/wait throughout the entire broadcast.
    Nope, definitely not.

If it wasn't for Denzel receiving the Cecil B DeMille award, I would have guessed that but usually that's presented by people that the honoree has worked with many times or is good friends with(something along those lines), so I'm also voting for whichever award is the last one(best movie drama?)

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    mel's looking gross as usual.
    He needs to whiten those nasty yellow teeth.
    Lily Bleu likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I made my own VHS tape of every awards show Mel was on. (for me) there was a time when Mel in a tux was a good thing.
    Mrs P likes this.

i think he looks sober in that picture. at least he's got that?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I made my own VHS tape of every awards show Mel was on. (for me) there was a time when Mel in a tux was a good thing.

For our Chalet ..

(http://webdomination.co/photos/mel-g...ller-83187.jpg)

(https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0766b40853.jpg)

(https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0dd0c5f1cf.jpg)

The last two Melvin pics make me .

Er, I think that's the Patriot in that second pic and yes, he does look good there.

Looks like Mutiny on the Bounty in pic 2. Whatever - he was such a handsome devil in his youth. What's the saying? When you reach (insert age) you've got the face you earned.

I always liked his self-deprecating humor and he seemed like a good sport. Well, I'm not always right.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Looks like Mutiny on the Bounty in pic 2. Whatever - he was such a handsome devil in his youth. What's the saying? When you reach (insert age) you've got the face you earned.

I always liked his self-deprecating humor and he seemed like a good sport. Well, I'm not always right.

i wonder if Mel had some kind of major breakdown a few years ago and it changed him quite drastically?

He has always struggled with mental illness and the stress of fame, hasn't he?

i think quite a few actors just want to act/direct/etc and not have to deal with all the other aspects which go along with fame/celebrity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information