Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By faithanne
  • 4 Post By Kittylady

Thread: JK Rowling and Twitter React to Casting of Black Hermione

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default JK Rowling and Twitter React to Casting of Black Hermione

JK Rowling breaks silence over Black Hermione casting and shuts Noma Dumezweni critics down EPICALLY - Mirror Online

JK Rowling breaks silence over Black Hermione casting and shuts Noma Dumezweni critics down EPICALLY

Noma Dumezweni will take over from Emma Watson in the role of over-achieving witch Hermione in the stage play, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

JK Rowling breaks silence over Black Hermione casting

JK Rowling isn't having any of the hatred thrown at the casting of Noma Dumezweni as adult Hermione Granger.

The Olivier-winning theatre star has been cast as the brilliant witch in the stage play Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and while most of the internet has been thrilled, some were less so.

But now Queen of all things Harry Potter, JK has spoken and made it perfectly clear where she stands.
    After being asked what she thinks of the casting, the best-selling author tweeted: "Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever.

J.K. Rowling @jk_rowling
    Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione
    https://twitter.com/mauvedust/status/675859065285812224 …
    5:41 AM - 21 Dec 2015

"White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione."

The show - a continuation of the popular novels and movie series - will debut at the Palace Theatre in the heart of London's theatre district in summer 2016 with Jamie Parker playing Harry, and Paul Thornley taking the role of Ron Weasley.

In the movies Harry, Hermione and Ron were played by actors Daniel Radcliffe , Emma Watson and Rupert Grint from young children to adults.

PA

Jamie Parker, Noma Dumezweni and Paul Thornley who will play Harry, Hermione and Ron in the Harry Potter And The Cursed Child stage play

Simon Annand

The three will take over from Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint

Immediately after the casting was revealed, Potter fans began sharing their joy at Dumezweni's casting and what it means for the books.

Fans were quick to point out that in the novels, written by JK Rowling, Hermione's race is never revealed, with only references to her brown bushy hair mentioned.

Though fans are circulating this quote: "They were there, both of them, sitting outside Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor — Ron looking incredibly freckly, Hermione very brown, both waving frantically at him."

Whatever the books say, the joy spread - with many pointing out the casting was apt in a series about the evils of racism.

PerksOfBeingAFanboy. @LiamKelsall
    to the people saying a black Hermione is stupid and unrealistic, look at tHIS PERFECTION

8:00 PM - 20 Dec 2015

Snukes @QueerDiscOx
    I love how Hermione being black is somehow more implausible to some people than a universe where the entire postal system depends on owls
    6:04 PM - 20 Dec 2015

Even JK Rowling gave her views, because some fans just had to know.

Author JK Rowling said: "I'm so excited with the choice of casting for Harry Potter And The Cursed Child.

"I can't wait to see Jamie, Noma and Paul bring the adult Harry, Hermione and Ron to life on stage next summer."

Though Hermione isn't the first Harry Potter character to change race - if that's is really what happened - don't forget there was Lavender Brown.

JK Rowling breaks silence over Black Hermione casting and shuts Noma Dumezweni critics down EPICALLY - Mirror Online

Elite Member

Who cares? Oh my, people get their undies in a bundle over such silly things.

Oh, and love JK Rowling.

It's not like they're challenging all things Harry Potter, they've cast an actress in a stage production. If it runs long enough, goes on the road, or comes to Broadway then she probably won't be the last actress cast to play Hermoine, either.

Who gives a shit? I just find it funny that J.K. Rowling said she was done with Harry Potter after the last book, that the story was over and she was going to move on to different things. Cue her spending the past few years wringing every last cent out of Potter fans with theme parks, websites, spinoff books, plays, etc.

I also love how she tweets stuff to get get attention, like Harry and Hermione should have have gotten together, Dumbledore is gay, Hermione is black, etc. Bitch, you wrote the books! If you wanted the characters to do certain stuff, write them that way! She also certainly never saw any black girls for Hermione when she was helping cast the movies, so it bugs that now the people making that play actually made an interesting choice, Rowling has to come along and try and take retroactive credit. If she'd actually written Hermione as black and put a young black girl in one of the main roles in a series of blockbusters, that maybe would've actually mattered.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I didn't read any of that into what she wrote. She seemed to say she was supportive, not taking credit for it, and mainly in response to critics (racists).

And she created a universe loved by millions - she's just giving the people what they want. Maybe she was done with HP's world at the time, but years of immersing yourself into a story takes its toll and maybe now she can revisit it with fresh enthusiasm.

i just don't get the hate.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Also, gay!Dumbledore is canon. I called it when I read the 7th book, before​ she admitted it to the press.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Who gives a shit? I just find it funny that J.K. Rowling said she was done with Harry Potter after the last book, that the story was over and she was going to move on to different things. Cue her spending the past few years wringing every last cent out of Potter fans with theme parks, websites, spinoff books, plays, etc.
    If you want someone who really does like to wring every last drop from fans then look no further than Charlaine Harris.... (Yes, I am still holding a grudge). Rowling never specified Hermione's ethnicity so if she is happy for a black actress to play the part on stage then that's the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I also love how she tweets stuff to get get attention, like Harry and Hermione should have have gotten together, Dumbledore is gay, Hermione is black, etc. Bitch, you wrote the books! If you wanted the characters to do certain stuff, write them that way!

Writing doesn't always work like that because it is an organic process. You can plot and plan and think you know how everything is going to be but as you start building the characters and the story they tend to take on a life of their own, with their own directions, their own personalities. Other authors have admitted to having to give up long held plot and character development ideas because their characters simply outgrew them naturally. Other have even admitted to being surprised at personality traits their characters have because they have not discovered them until they found themselves actually writing them. Jeaniene Frost said as much when asked about a hidden geeky side to one of her popular creations.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information