Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Dick van Dyke is 90 years old today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Dick van Dyke is 90 years old today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday you wonderful man!

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Mary Poppins was on last night so we were googling Dick V to see how he looked. Amazing how well he is. He looks great and nowhere near 90 imo.
    NickiDrea likes this.

Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Rob! Love him.
    Brookie and Lalasnake like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Thingy Van Lesbian
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Some cool Dick Van Dyke trivia:

• Beat out Johnny Carson for the role of Rob Petrie on the "Dick Van Dyke Show"
    • Was a huge admirer of Stan Laurel. Eventually befriended Laurel and even delivered the eulogy at his funeral.
    • Had an album on the Billboard Top 40 chart ("Songs I Like, by Dick Van Dyke) for several weeks in 1963
    • Turned down Gregory Peck's role in "The Omen" because the script sounded too violent. In retrospect, considers his decision "stupid".
    • Long-time Democrat. Has endorsed Bernie Sanders in the Democrat primary.
    • Big Barbra Streisand fan. (For some reason, I find that interesting.)
    • Was almost Fagin in "Oliver" but chose to do "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" instead.
    • Has no formal dance training
    • For 16 years, received a lemon cake every Christmas from Charles Bronson.
    • Long-time close friend of Andy Griffith and Buddy Ebsen.
    • Funny quote about P.L. Travers, the author of "Mary Poppins" - "she fought him tooth and nail all the way through it. She hated me, she hated Julie Andrews. She didn't think either of us were right.After the premiere she met Walt in the lobby and said, 'All the animation has to go.' Walt said, 'Pamela, the boat has sailed.'

Elite Member

I was obsessed with Dick Van Dyke reruns as a kid.
    Lalasnake and stella blue like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Thingy Van Lesbian
    For our younger listeners, this is how the Smut Filter rendered his name at GRs previous incarnation APS. It's still funny.

His toe-curling "Cockney" accent in Mary Poppins has to be the worst of all time.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

OH. Lol. That's hilarious ^
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

One of the all time funniest things I've seen him do was in an episode of Diagnosis Murder. He is in some building with his cop son (played by his real son Barry van Dyke) and another cop, they get the bad guys but one or two escape and the other cop gives Dick's character a gun and orders him to stay and keep the other two thugs from escaping until back-up arrives while he and Van Dyke jr. go look for the escaped guys. The way he holds the gun is hysterical in itself, but the thugs soon realize he has no experience with guns at all, so they step away from each other. Van Dyke's character keeps urging them to stay put or else he'll shoot (which the thugs don't believe) and while he does that he moves the gun upward and it fires a shot, scaring the shit out of all three of them. I searched and searched YouTube for that scene because it's classic Van Dyke and really insanely funny, but nope, no luck.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Mary Poppins was on last night so we were googling Dick V to see how he looked. Amazing how well he is. He looks great and nowhere near 90 imo.
    Yeah, I watched it too. I just love him in that movie! Such a talented man. His dancing skills alone are superior. The choreography to "Step in Time" blows me away every time:

Brookie, Mrs P, Lalasnake and 3 others like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Elite Member

Ok. Time to 'fess up: I used to fancy Barry
    soogar likes this.

I know we're all not too keen on the Daily Fail, but I thought I'd share the article about Dick's birthday. I think that's pretty cool that people did a flash mob of Chimney sweeps for him. His wife probably paid for the actors in his money to ensure she gets the good life when he passes. She's, what, 40!?

Happy 90th Birthday! Dick Van Dyke celebrates milestone with flash mob of chimney sweeps in Los Angeles

By Dailymail.com Reporter
    Published: 03:17 EST, 13 December 2015 | Updated: 08:23 EST, 13 December 2015

He famously sung Step In Time to Mary Poppins.
    And Dick Van Dyke was back on the rooftops as a flash mob stepped very much in time to celebrate his 90th birthday weekend in Los Angeles.
    The Mary Poppins legend was treated to a dance and singalong by a group of chimney sweeps at The Grove on Saturday.
    Scroll down for video

+7

Clean sweep: Dick Van Dyke was treated to a 90th birthday celebratory flash mob on Saturday in Los Angeles

He turns 90 on Sunday, and the group of dancers - including Dick's wife Arlene - performed a dance choreographed by the Spellman sisters in the popular shopping destination as the actor looked on.
    Looking full of energy, and far younger than his years, the entertainer - who played Burt in the 1964 Disney classic - seemed delighted by the show.
    Although his hair is now a shock of white, the sparkle in his eyes was unmistakable as the star even joined in for a rendition of Let's Go Fly A Kite.

+7

Youthful: The star - who famously sung Step In Time to Mary Poppins - arrived at The Grove on Saturday

+7

Fun-loving: Although his hair is now a shock of white, the sparkle in his eyes was unmistakable as the star even joined the crowd for a rendition of Let's Go Fly A Kite

+7

90 years young: The crowd then blasted out Happy Birthday, giving Dick a chance to wave to the adoring hoard

The crowd then blasted out Happy Birthday, giving Dick a chance to wave to the adoring hoard.
    The recipient of five Emmys, a Tony and a Grammy, Van Dyke came from humble beginnings in Missouri - his mother Hazel was a stenographer, and father Loren worked as a salesman.
    Chim-Chim Cheree won the Academy Award for best original song in 1964, which he performs in the movie classic.
    He went on to star as Caracatus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in 1968 - although chose to stick with his native American accent instead of his infamous cockney in Mary Poppins.

+7

Hero worship: The group of dancers - including Dick's wife Arlene - performed a dance choreographed by the Spellman sisters in the popular shopping destination as the actor looked on

+7

Celebrations: Looking full of energy, and far younger than his years, the entertainer - who played Burt in the 1964 Disney classic - seemed delighted by the show

+7

Star power: The recipient of five Emmys, a Tony and a Grammy, Van Dyke came from humble beginnings in Missouri

He married his second wife, make-up artist Arlene Silver, 44, on February 29, 2012.
    His first marriage to Margerie Willett brought them four children: Christian, Barry, Carrie Beth, and Stacy - and he is now also a grandfather to seven.
    He was lucky to escape unharmed after his car caught fire on the freeway in August 2013.
    A stranger helped the star and his wife from his burning car which was then engulfed in flames on the Ventura Freeway in Calabasas
    Lalasnake, Jazzy, HWBL and 2 others like this.

I love the Dick Van Dyke Show so much.

Suddenly, I feel like I should be taking dance classes. Being able to move like that at 90 is something else.

I love him. Is there a person on Earth who doesn't like/love Dick Van Dyke??

I'm so glad he looks so happy and healthy. It makes me happy that he and Mary's chemistry has become iconic and share a mutual admiration society. The very thought of them saying Goodbye Mary Poppins makes me burst out into hysterical tears. I swear I'm sniffling and am about to sob. Leaving thread. Happy Birthday Thingy!

Thanks for remembering that Twitch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information