Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: The Wiz Live's All-Black Cast Sparks Twitter Debate

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default The Wiz Live's All-Black Cast Sparks Twitter Debate

Twitter explodes in debate over The Wiz Live's all-black cast | Daily Mail Online

'Why are there no whites?': Twitter explodes with furious debate over The Wiz Live's all-black cast

• The Wiz Live, a three-hour musical, aired on NBC on Thursday night
    • The 1975 Broadway musical was written to feature an all-black cast
    • NBC stayed true to the script, however social media erupted with scrutiny
    • Some viewers claimed the event was racist for not featuring white people
    • Critics called the show 'exuberant and inventive'

By Justin Enriquez For Dailymail.com
    Published: 20:26 EST, 3 December 2015 | Updated: 04:34 EST, 4 December 2015

It was a highly anticipated live television moment that was lauded by critics when NBC aired a three-hour adaptation of the Broadway musical The Wiz on Thursday night.
    However, even though the 1975 show was written to feature an all-black cast - and the network stayed true to the script - social media erupted during the screening with calls of racism.
    Several viewers took to Twitter to express their disdain about the event, accusing NBC of being discriminatory.
    Scroll down for video

+32

Groundbreaking: NBC aired a live musical special titled The Wiz Live on Thursday night featuring an all-black cast

+32

+32

+32

One user tweeted to the major network: 'Minorities act like they're the victims, but can you imagine if we made an all-white version of The Wiz?'
    Another user wrote: 'why are there no whites starring in #TheWiz? this is racist! can u imagine if it were the other way? #whitelivesmatter #TheWizLive.'
    Additionally, a viewer posted: '#TheWiz on @NBC is a PC Disaster. An all-black Wizard of Oz? Give me a freaking break. I could say that's racist but...'
    Others were more positive as one wrote: '@nbc it has been the other way before and we don't complain about all white casting, i.e the notebook, 500 days of summer..etc.'
    NBC have not yet commented on the complaints.
    Its most likely the complainants did not realize that The Wiz, a loose adaptation of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, was written as a retelling of the classic story from an African-American context, Buzzfeed reported.
    Penned by composer Charlie Smalls, the show won a Tony award and was adapted into a film in 1978 starring Michael Jackson, Dianna Ross and Richard Pryor.

+32

Ouch: Many were unafraid to express their opinions

+32

Cooler heads: Others combated the racist tweets with their own opinions

+32

'People seriously scare me': Other Twitter users did not back down

Excited: Oprah Winfrey definitely seemed to be excited about the big event

The musical similarly featured several talented stars including Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Common, David Alan Grier, Ne-Yo, Uzo Aduba, Elijah Kelley and Shanice Williams as Dorothy Gale.
    The show begins much like the 1939 classic by showing the life of a rural family as Dorothy attempts to run away after her dog Toto was taken away as she exclaimed: 'You can't run away from home if you're not home to start with.'
    Stephanie Mills, who starred in the original Broadway musical as Dorothy, portrayed Dorthy's Aunt Em as she sung the first song of the event: The Feeling We Once Had.

+32

Star of the show: Shanice Williams played the main character of the special: Dorothy Gale

+32

Big night: It begins much like the 1939 classic by showing the life of a rural family before a huge storm hits

+32

Legend: Stephanie Mills, who played Dorothy in the original Broadway run of The Wiz, sung the first song of the show as she played Dorothy's Aunt Em

Several actors dressed in intricate albums mimicked the storm as Dorthy gets caught up in the whirlwind and is even carried up by wires.
    She awakens and finds herself in the majestic land of Oz as the home lands on top of the Wicked Witch Of The East killing her.
    Dorothy is then gifted witch's blinged-out shimmering silver heels by The Good Witch of the North played by Glee's Amber Riley
    Dorothy meets a motley crew of characters including a few witches as she tries to find her way to meet the Wizard by following the yellow brick road.

If they only had a brain: Viewers were obviously unaware the show was exactly as it was supposed to be, having been written as a Wizard of Oz retelling with an African-American spin

The first of Dorothy's gang that she runs into is the Scarecrow, played by Elijah Kelley, who is on the search for a brain but stuck in a predicament as he is surrounded by crows who break out into a song called You Can't Win.
    Dorothy then makes a stand as she tells the crows: ''I already killed one Wicked Witch today and I wasn't even mad at her,' leaving the crows to back down.
    They then run into the Tin-Man, played by Ne-Yo, who needs oil to be able to sing and move. The character joins the group as he is searching for a heart.
    When they continue on their journey they run into the Cowardly Lion, played by David Allen Grier, who sings a song about being a 'mean old lion.' He too joins the crew in search of courage.

+32

Heading out: Dorothy showed off her new blinged out silver shoes, which became a big part of the story

+32

Lighting the path: She certainly seemed to enjoy walking down the yellow brick road

+32

Altogether now: The lion completed the foursome as they made their way to see The Wiz

+32

Big reveal: Queen Latifah was seen in all green for her role as The Wiz

+32

Interesting: The foursome referred to The Wiz as sir

Last edited by dougie; December 4th, 2015 at 09:09 AM.

STFU white people. Did anyone watch this? I couldn't. I barley made it through the original.
    joebob and in21derland like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

Um, there is an all white version of "The Wiz", it's called "The Wizard of Oz". Bunch of dumbasses.

So dumb, I almost think it's some kind of prank by Jimmy Kimmel.

And g*damnit, when are we going to finally get a white version of "Annie" and "The Nutty Professor"????

I watched it and enjoyed it. The girl who played Dorothy has got an amazing voice!
    BeantownBitch likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

(face palm)

Every single day I can feel better getting more and more stoopid.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I'd love to watch this, I keep reading good reviews!

People don't know their history.
    And I'm certain I saw a couple of white dancers in some of the numbers.
    But seriously, other than the presence of my diva Stephanie, I was unimpressed. I didn't even watch the last 45 minutes or so...went straight to bed.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

G_damn but people are stupid. And racist. Those 2 things go together without a doubt.

I forgot to watch it last night but I love Stephanie Mills. I'll watch clips of the best parts when I get a moment.

Goddamned kids and ignorant people, go read wikipedia. Damn, educate yourself. *grumble, grumble*
    idunno and BeantownBitch like this.

People just want to be pissed over the stupidest things. Who gives a fuck? All white, all black, all hispanic, all asian...I do not care.

For the record, I also don't care if you say Merry Christmas, Happy Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanzaa, etc.

Let's get educated and angry over real issues, not stupid bullshit.

Actually there are a lot of movies I would love to see done over with all black actors. Even some movies I would love to see done over with latinos too. I think they would even make most of the movies so much better.

I seriously hope someone schooled all those who complained about the all black cast, and they feel stupid as hell this morning. Even better, hope they are all being made fun of publicly by co-workers and/or fellow students.
    Beeyotch, HWBL, Lalasnake and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I seriously hope someone schooled all those who complained about the all black cast, and they feel stupid as hell this morning. Even better, hope they are all being made fun of publicly by co-workers and/or fellow students.
    These are the same people if they saw the mini series "Roots" they would gripe about so many black people being in it.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information