Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Will Smith: I live with constant prejudice

Elite Member

Default Will Smith: I live with constant prejudice

Will Smith: I live with constant prejudice

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/will-smith-i-live-with-constant-prejudice/ar-BBnmCst?li=AA59yp&ocid=

Cover Media
    35 mins ago

Will Smith has broken his silence about turning down the chance to lead the cast of Quentin Tarantino's slave western Django Unchained, revealing he didn't want to star in a vengeance movie.

The star is so proud of his culture and how it's portrayed on film he turned down the role, and allowed Jamie Foxx to take over as black slave-turned-bounty hunter in Tarantino's bloody movie.

"I wanted to make the greatest love story that African-Americans had ever seen from American cinema," he explained to The Hollywood Reporter. "The only way I felt I could make that movie, was that it had to be a love story, not a vengeance story. Violence begets violence. I just couldn't connect to violence being the answer. Love had to be the answer."

Will spoke to The Hollywood Reporter alongside Samuel L Jackson, who joined Jamie Foxx in Django Unchained. The 66-year-old has worked with Quentin on a number of occasions and defended the filmmaker's portrayal of black people.

"People say a lot of things about Quentin, that he’s racist," he said, "but every character that he’s ever written for me has been a very intelligent, very driven person."

© Cover Media Will Smith.

Meanwhile, Smith also opened up about his experiences with racism in the roundtable chat.

Insisting that everyone is prejudiced, regardless of the colour of their skin, the 47-year-old, who has starred in blockbusters like Men in Black and Ali and classic 90s TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, still thinks people are biased towards him, even though he's a big success.

"Everybody's prejudiced," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "Everybody has their life experiences that make them prefer one thing over another. But the idea of racism - there's a connotation in racism of superiority, that you feel that your race generally, just based on your race, is superior."

But he's blessed in that people rarely make comments about his skin colour: "I have to say, I live with constant prejudice, but racism is actually rare."

Dammit. I thought this was going to be about the Co$!

Jfk. I'm prejudice against assholles
    Kittylady, BITTER, Nevan and 1 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I feel this is such a lame, made-up excuse. I think he regrets not taking on that role.
    rollo and BITTER like this.

A*O

Fuck off co$bot, it's not all about you. Ur just jellus Jamie did a better job anyway.
    Kittylady and BITTER like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Django Unchained: Released Dec 2012, Worldwide Gross: $425.4m, Metacritic rating: 81/100

After Earth: Released May 2013, Worldwide Gross: $243.7m, Metacritic rating: 33/100

Someone needs some peanut butter and toast to go with that jelly.

Dear Will,
    Thank you for turning down that role.
    Signed, The World
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I can't believe that he has actually said something reasonable ""Everybody's prejudiced," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "Everybody has their life experiences that make them prefer one thing over another. But the idea of racism - there's a connotation in racism of superiority, that you feel that your race generally, just based on your race, is superior.""
    Even though its a duh moment.... Of course people are a sum of their experience but bias doesn't have to mean prejudice and I think that the article/thread title is misleading.
    Love Jamie Fox though. I want to take him home & wear him out. Will Smith, nah.
    BITTER likes this.

I do think everyone is a little prejudiced whether they admit it or not. Some are more than a little prejudiced. I have never met anyone who hasn't said something about another group/race/culture that made me give them a side eye. Myself included!

Agree that prejudice and racism are not necessarily the same thing.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

He is so full of shit. The last role I liked him was in Independence Day in /what?/ 1996?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    He is so full of shit. The last role I liked him was in Independence Day in /what?/ 1996?
    But in that he was just Will Smith being Will Smith. And Men In Black/2/3. And a hell of a lot of his other films. It gets tiresome after a while.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

At least he didn't pull the "I've dealt with racism my whole life" card, as I sit in my multi million dollar house(s) and get treated like royality everywhere I go.

This is where Will Smith lives in here in such constant prejudice ....

Such the fuck up, Fresh Prince.

I'm confused. Does being extremely wealthy mean that he doesn't experience racism? It may mean that racism is less likely to have a negative impact on his life, but being wealthy doesn't make you immune from racism.
    sluce, Brah, faithanne and 2 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^^I was just about to type that. ITA
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information