• 8 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 6 Post By soogar
  • 9 Post By Beeyotch
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 5 Post By sluce

Thread: Designer Donna Karan Talks About Her 1973 Abortion

Default Designer Donna Karan Talks About Her 1973 Abortion

Designer Donna Karan Talks About Her 1973 Abortion

In an interview with HuffPost Live, designer Donna Karan spoke frankly about her decision to have an abortion in 1973, the same year that the Roe vs. Wade decision went into effect.

Karan said that she became pregnant while married to Mark Karan but in a relationship with Stephan Weiss, whom she would later marry. “We weren’t sure whose child it was,” she said in the interview. Karancontinued:

“I said, ‘I can’t even fathom doing this,’ and abortion had just been legalized...it was that week. I told Mark about it and I said, ‘I really think this is what I have to do,’ and he agreed with me and supported me completely on it.”

The designer called the decision a “difficult” one, but the right one. “That was the life I was living at that moment in time,” she said.

Karan added that she was telling her story to express support for other women who have made, or are making, the decision to have an abortion. “I wanted to show [other women] that I’m with them,” she said. “I totally understand what it’s like. I went through it.”

Designer Donna Karan Talks About Her 1973 AbortionÂ*

I wish more women, especially prominent ones, would speak out. This reminds me of the Manifesto of the 343. We could use an updated version of that, with the current climate.

Mrs P, Lalasnake, sluce and 2 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

"The designer called the decision a “difficult” one, but the right one. “That was the life I was living at that moment in time,” she said."

It's all about timing. Good on her for speaking out. I wish people treated having children with more seriousness than getting married.
    JazzyGirl and fuzuoko like this.

I wish a few prominent women would come forward and admit it wasn't a difficult decision for them, but rather something they wanted to do and did not struggle with, and a relief to be able to have it done. All this agonizing over terminating (at least during early pregnancy, which is when most people abort) a bunch of cells makes it sound like all women are traumatized by the decision and that provides an opening for the "protect women from themselves" anti-abortion BS. Just to clarify, I am not trying to put down women who did (and do) struggle with aborting, but they are not the majority.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

^^^ The fact that you're relieved to have it over, wanted to do it and don't regret it doesn't mean it wasn't a difficult decision. And being a difficult decision doesn't mean you were automatically traumatized by it.

But I can only speak for myself. I don't regret having an abortion and it was totally the right decision but it was still a hard decision to make. Probably because my decision was based on my financial circumstances, I might not have had the abortion but for that.

I can only say that at the clinic, no one looked happy, casual or carefree before the procedure, but in the recovery room most looked relieved.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^^Yes, I can understand that abortion would be difficult for women who want kids, but aren't in a good personal or financial situation at the time of that particular pregnancy. But for many others, it is not difficult. It's too bad there is so much pressure on women to force them to feel terrible about having an abortion, rather than let them feel whatever they are going to feel. I suspect the moral onus put on women re. abortions is yet another attempt to try to guilt them into not having them, or at least feel miserable about their choice.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post

I can only say that at the clinic, no one looked happy, casual or carefree before the procedure, but in the recovery room most looked relieved.
    You weren't in the clinic with me. I was totally happy before and after, in spite of being accosted by a few pro life demonstrators on the way in and out of the clinic. I even viewed the sonogram.

Most people were tired because they needed to drive through a few states to get to a clinic, and then they had to sacrifice a paycheck because many insurance plans don't cover the procedure.
    Brah, Lalasnake, idunno and 3 others like this.

^^Motherfuckers who make sonogram-viewing mandatory and abortions in general so difficult to access are fucking dicks. God it makes me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I wish a few prominent women would come forward and admit it wasn't a difficult decision for them, but rather something they wanted to do and did not struggle with, and a relief to be able to have it done. All this agonizing over terminating (at least during early pregnancy, which is when most people abort) a bunch of cells makes it sound like all women are traumatized by the decision and that provides an opening for the "protect women from themselves" anti-abortion BS. Just to clarify, I am not trying to put down women who did (and do) struggle with aborting, but they are not the majority.
    According to whom?
    Islandgirl likes this.

Let's not argue over whether or not people struggle with the decision before, during or after. Everyone is different, is facing different circumstances, and makes a personal choice. I do hate seeing the anti-choice side say most regret it when study and after study shows that most regret having to decide, but not the decision made.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    According to whom?
    According to many studies, including this one:
    Arguments that abortion causes women emotional harm, and that women come to regret abortions they decided to have, are used to shape public opinion and advance legislation restricting access to abortion in the US. Existing studies suffer from shortcomings, leaving the question of women’s post-abortion emotions unresolved. Using three years of data from the Turnaway Study, we addressed many limitations of prior studies to comprehensively investigate women’s decisional rightness and emotions post-abortion.

Women in this study overwhelmingly felt that the decision was the right one for them: at all time points over three years, 95% of participants reported abortion was the right decision, with the typical participant having a >99% chance of reporting the abortion decision was right for her. Women also experienced reduced emotional intensity over time: the feelings of relief and happiness experienced shortly after the abortion tended to subside, as did negative emotions. Most women do not regret their abortion according to new research

Thread Information