Like Tree14Likes
  • 8 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 5 Post By Tati
  • 1 Post By darksithbunny

Thread: Daniel Radcliffe became alcohol dependent after 'Harry Potter'

Elite Member

Default Daniel Radcliffe became alcohol dependent after 'Harry Potter'

Daniel Radcliffe became alcohol dependent after 'Harry Potter'

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/daniel-radcliffe-became-alcohol-dependent-after-harry-potter/ar-BBnc1PO?li=AAabC8j&ocid=

Wonderwall
    Mark Gray 1 hour ago

Daniel Radcliffe turned to the bottle following his days as Harry Potter.

The actor revealed that he became somewhat alcohol-dependent when his role as J.K. Rowling's popular boy wizard ended after a decade.

"I was living alone, and I think I was really freaked out," he said on Marc Maron's WTF podcast in Nov. 18. "I drank a lot."

His struggles with alcohol are really nothing new. In 2012 he told Heat magazine, "I have a very addictive personality. It was a problem. I don't want to go into details, but I drank a lot and it was daily -- I mean, nightly."

He said he filmed several "Harry Potter" scenes drunk.

( Barking Duck/) Daniel Radcliffe became alcohol dependent after 'Harry Potter'

"I went into work still drunk, but I never drank at work," he said. "I can point to many scenes where I'm just gone. Dead behind the eyes."

Really, Daniel said his drinking was from a fear of having to return to reality after the films ended.

"I think it was more to do with going out in public and having a battle within me of thinking no, I can have a totally normal life," he said. "You get bored of waking up feeling like that."

It turns out he didn't need to worry. Following the role that defined him for a decade, Daniel has been in numerous films.

"I was very lucky that people gave me opportunities directly after Potter finished to play more grown-up stuff," he said, "because I could have been getting teen offer type stuff."

He's been sober since 2013.

I think most folks knew this already. I wonder why he is talking about it now. Perhaps it's because he has a new film coming out. It seems celebs often talk about struggles right before something is about to come out, like a movie, or album to boost sales.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I think most folks knew this already. I wonder why he is talking about it now. Perhaps it's because he has a new film coming out. It seems celebs often talk about struggles right before something is about to come out, like a movie, or album to boost sales.
    I had no idea about this! I do agree though, secrets do tend to spill when they have something new to promote.

Elite Member

He wishes to remain relevant. He's not.

He is quite relevant. He's carved out a nice little career in some very good indie films, and has quite a few big budget studio films coming. He was just in the Amy Schumer hit 'Trainwreck', he's in the new Frankenstein movie, etc. He's also been doing Broadway, to excellent reviews.

He's not handsome leading man material, but he's definitely working in good projects.
    sluce, soogar, tulip and 5 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    He is quite relevant. He's carved out a nice little career in some very good indie films, and has quite a few big budget studio films coming. He was just in the Amy Schumer hit 'Trainwreck', he's in the new Frankenstein movie, etc. He's also been doing Broadway, to excellent reviews.

He's not handsome leading man material, but he's definitely working in good projects.
    That's great, I really like him. I think it's very valuable for a younger person to talk about addiction as well; so often it's easy to think that drinking all the time in your twenties and thirties is just something everyone does and it's only older people who have to be mindful, but I know a lot of thirty-somethings (myself included) who have discovered the need and desire to really nip their drinking in the bud. It's important that people know that addiction can be kind of a gradual learning curve and that it's okay to cut yourself off any time it's causing problems for you.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I am so glad he got a hold of it and is doing living well and sober. I just saw a trailer for a new movie he's in and it looks really good. I like him in Woman in Black too even though it wasn't a great movie, but it was nice to see him as someone else and not Harry Potter.
    sluce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    That's great, I really like him. I think it's very valuable for a younger person to talk about addiction as well; so often it's easy to think that drinking all the time in your twenties and thirties is just something everyone does and it's only older people who have to be mindful, but I know a lot of thirty-somethings (myself included) who have discovered the need and desire to really nip their drinking in the bud. It's important that people know that addiction can be kind of a gradual learning curve and that it's okay to cut yourself off any time it's causing problems for you.
    I love him, and I think it was an incredibly singular achievement that they kept the cast together over such a long period of time. Never would have guessed that he had a problem with alcohol.

I loved his performance in A Young Doctor's Notebook.
    I'm glad he is doing fine.

Thread Information