Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Tom Jones Is Having a DNA Test to See if His Ancestors are Black

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Tom Jones Is Having a DNA Test to See if His Ancestors are Black

Tom Jones is having a DNA test to see if his ancestors are black | Daily Mail Online

I am having a DNA test to see if my ancestors are black, says Sir Tom after being told he is 'just passing as white'

• Singer Tom Jones is often mistaken as black because of his hair's texture
    • 75-year-old made the comments in an interview and said he'd get a test
    • Born to a traditional coal-mining family with English and Welsh ancestry
    • Revealed his mother had dark patches on her body when she was born

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Published: 18:25 EST, 1 November 2015 | Updated: 19:59 EST, 1 November 2015

Sir Tom Jones has revealed that he wants to have his DNA tested to discover if he does really have black ancestry

Throughout his career his hair – thick, curly and (once) black – and his baritone voice have led some to believe he is black.

Now Sir Tom Jones has revealed that he wants to have his DNA tested to discover if he does really have black ancestry.

The singer, who has transformed himself from penniless miner’s son from the Valleys into a £190million music star through records including Delilah and It’s Not Unusual, stopped dyeing his hair several years ago but is still mistaken for being black because of its texture.

In an interview at the weekend Sir Tom, now 75, said he is often told he is ‘just passing as white’ and as a result he has decided to ‘get my DNA tested. I want to find out’.

He added: ‘A lot of people still think I’m black. When I first came to America, people who had heard me sing on the radio would be surprised that I was white when they saw me. Because of my hair a lot of black people still tell me I’m just passing as white.’

Sir Tom was born Thomas Jones Woodward in Pontypridd, South Wales, to a traditional coal-mining family – his mother Freda was of Welsh and English ancestry and his father was of English descent.

Recalling an incident shortly after he was born Sir Tom, who is known to tan easily, told The Times magazine: ‘My mother came out in big dark patches all over her body. They asked if she had any black blood and she said she didn’t know.’

Private genetic tests of the sort that Sir Tom might choose have become big business in recent years. Many companies claim they can identify whether people are related to famous historical figures such as Napoleon or Cleopatra, or have DNA from specific racial groups.

The tests cost £30 and £300 and are said to look at the ancestral lineages that contribute to the make-up of an individual’s DNA.

Each of us inherits around six billion letters of DNA from our parents, three billion from each. Made up from four biochemicals – adenine, cytosine, guanine and thymine – our genes are read by scientists like long strings of letters, sequences of A, C, G and T.

Sir Tom was born Thomas Jones Woodward in Pontypridd, South Wales, to a traditional coal-mining family – his mother Freda (pictured with Sir Tom) was of Welsh and English ancestry

His father Tom, who he is pictured talking to on the set of a show in 1969, is of English descent

Tom takes his wife Linda to the doctors office in Beverly Hills, California, earlier this month

DNA experts claim they can analyse this data to determine what percentage of your DNA comes from different regions around the world and where you appear on global and continental genetic maps.

They also claim they can determine how much of a person’s DNA is, for example, African, Jewish or Native American.
    However, the Sense About Science campaign group has said ‘such histories are either so general as to be personally meaningless or they are just speculation from thin evidence’.

Private genetic tests of the sort that Sir Tom might choose have become big business in recent years

The tests cost £30 and £300 and are said to look at the ancestral lineages that contribute to the make-up of an individual’s DNA.

Each of us inherits around six billion letters of DNA from our parents, three billion from each. Made up from four biochemicals – adenine, cytosine, guanine and thymine – our genes are read by scientists like long strings of letters, sequences of A, C, G and T.

Sir Tom was born Thomas Jones Woodward in Pontypridd, South Wales, to a traditional coal-mining family – his mother Freda (pictured with Sir Tom) was of Welsh and English ancestry

His father Tom, who he is pictured talking to on the set of a show in 1969, is of English descent

Tom takes his wife Linda to the doctors office in Beverly Hills, California, earlier this month

DNA experts claim they can analyse this data to determine what percentage of your DNA comes from different regions around the world and where you appear on global and continental genetic maps.

They also claim they can determine how much of a person’s DNA is, for example, African, Jewish or Native American.

However, the Sense About Science campaign group has said ‘such histories are either so general as to be personally meaningless or they are just speculation from thin evidence’.

Private genetic tests of the sort that Sir Tom might choose have become big business in recent years

Read more: Tom Jones is having a DNA test to see if his ancestors are black | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by dougie; November 2nd, 2015 at 12:27 PM.

Elite Member

Tom Jones has always given me the creeps (even with his glorious chest of fur).

But the phrase 'just passing as white' is a horrible thing to say to anybody.

It's 2015 (nearly 2016), and we still can't seem to conquer racism (within ANY ethnic group).

It pisses me off when people look down on others... but that's the crazy, confusing human race i guess?

Elite Member

I agree, he always gave me the heebie-jeebies. And Tom, it's doens't matter what DNA you have, what matters is what you do with it.

It would not surprise me if he did.
    I love It's Not Unusual to death, though...
    KrisNine and LastLook like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I love Tom, he's a true star.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

He sure could dance better than the average white guy:

Lalasnake likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I want them to perform a DNA test to figure out how he's been married for almost 60 years.
    LastLook and kasippu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    He sure could dance better than the average white guy:

Eww, he actually handed his sweaty handkerchief to a woman in the audience at 0:28. And this was before online auctions of celebrity bodily fluids, so what the hell did she want it for?
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I used to work with a girl that was IN LOVE with him. Every year she would go and see him and send a case of Dom Perignon to him. Our judge swore that Tom had a restraining order against her.
    LastLook, Novice and stef like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I want them to perform a DNA test to figure out how he's been married for almost 60 years.
    He's rumored to have a third leg...she ain't goin' nowhere...
    HWBL, sprynkles, A*O and 2 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Eww, he actually handed his sweaty handkerchief to a woman in the audience at 0:28. And this was before online auctions of celebrity bodily fluids, so what the hell did she want it for?
    I guess you've also never seen Elvis concert footage, or his '68 Comeback special? At one point Elvis rubs his sweaty face with a tissue that he got from a girl in the audience and gives it back to her. It being paper, some of it is still on his face. One of his croonies gets the tiniest bit of paper off E's face and gives it to another girl in the audience who then proceeds TO PUT IT INTO HER PURSE!!!!!!! ROFLMAOPIMP.
    BITTER likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Well Ummi on the Kumars at No. 42 had a shrine to Tom Jones, so I imagine this lady wanted it back in order to worship it or smell it or rub it on her body or something.

I love Elvis. He was the one they said sounded "black" on the radio so Tom can admit he stole that story.

Being from 20mins from Tom's hometown we got to hear a douchey story about him.
    During a concert he made a big deal over a fan. ",oh come to my dressing room for an autograph love"
    Then he proceeded to tell her to fuck off when she went back lol

I was kind of afraid when I clicked on this that some might turn this into a racist issue. I don't think he means it offensively, but regardless, no one should do the DNA testing stuff right now until protective laws are brought about regarding them. These private companies don't keep your DNA "private." If the government wants it, they get it, whether the company had aspirations of cooperating or not. What the hell are they doing with it?
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

and his baritone voice have led some to believe he is black.
    wtf.
    NickiDrea and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information