• 8 Post By sputnik
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch
  • 1 Post By Tati
  • 1 Post By pinkbunnyslippers
  • 1 Post By BeantownBitch

Thread: Zendaya calls out fashion magazine for retouched photos

Default Zendaya calls out fashion magazine for retouched photos

Good for you, Zendaya! The singer/actress stood up for what’s right when a magazine planned to run photoshopped pics of her, and the magazine quickly retracted the issue before its release.

Zendaya, 19, immediately took to social media when she saw that Modeliste magazine was planning to run extremely retouched photos of her. She posted a side-by-side shot of the changes on Instagram on Oct. 20, and wrote a passionate caption about why she didn’t want her figure to be altered and how as a role model to young women, she wants to depict her body as is. The magazine listened, and Modeliste Editor-in-Chief Amy McCabe wrote an open letter of apology and made the decision to pull the issue!

Modeliste‘s EIC wrote in her letter how she appreciates and respects Zendaya’s concern — so much that the original images will be restored and the November issue will not be run, period. “In light of our not-yet-released November issue, with Modeliste’s Cover Girl, Zendaya and the swirling controversy in regards to any re-touched images, I am compelled to publicly address this situation which was brought to my attention yesterday, personally by Zendaya,” Amy McCabe wrote on the official Modeliste website.
    She also explained that the retouching was done by a separate company under contract with the magazine. “Upon review of the final edited images which had been submitted to us by an independent editing company, together, as a collaboration between myself, Zendaya and her parents, we concluded that the images had been retouched to an extent that was not acceptable and not true to the values and ideals we represent and promote in our publication. I, therefore, made the executive decision to immediately pull the issue in order to have this rectified and have the images restored to their original, natural state which will reflect the true beauty and radiance of Zendaya.” We can’t wait to see the gorgeous, original photos of Zendaya — good for Modelistefor sticking by a strong moral code and pulling the photos.

As for the Instagram that accomplished it all? It was Zendaya’s side-by-side collage, accompanied by a heartfelt message, that did it: “Had a new shoot come out today and was shocked when I found my 19 year old hips and torso quite manipulated. These are the things that make women self conscious, that create the unrealistic ideals of beauty that we have,” she wrote. “Anyone who knows who I am knows I stand for honest and pure self love. So I took it upon myself to release the real pic (right side) and I love it…Thank you @modelistemagazine for pulling down the images and fixing this retouch issue.”

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/10/22/zendaya-retouched-photos-hips-thighs-magazine-not-running-issue/

I'm more curious as to why they would make her face and one leg orange?

She looks better in the before but if she thinks her very tall, very thin frame is going to make teenage girls feel better about themselves, she's wrong.
    Briar Rose likes this.

Elite Member

Good for her. She's not as stick thin as the magazine made her appear. She actually has a little meat on her bones, I applaud her for not wanting them to give her an impossible body type & wanting to show her 'real self'.

Which, of course, is much easier to look at when you're 19.

You call that meat on her bones?
    ETA: Why did they make her orange?
    Kittylady likes this.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

I'm officially sick of this brat.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I hope those homeowners appreciate the architectural improvements shown on the lower right. It's not often that someone will perform an expansion of your house just to make an annoying Disney kid's thighs smaller.
    sputnik and BITTER like this.

They airbrush the Victoria's Secret models for goodness sake. If those girls "need" retouching, theres no hope for a realistic ideal of beauty.

Bronze Member

Not sure why fashion magazines thinks sickly thin is sexy. For example Miranda Kerr has a gorgeous face but her body is way too bony.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Hottest_Women_World_League/info

I can see why they'd smooth out the bunching of the jacket at her waist but that's it. Her thighs are fine in the before, more shapely even. They should have done a better job on her hair to begin with, then no need for so much photoshop on it.

But I am also finding her obnoxious and going overboard on the PC-ness.
    sputnik likes this.

Damn, she looks FAR better in the original! People's hips aren't generally half the span of their shoulders, FFS.
    rollo likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I don't really believe that the retouching was done by a separate company. It looks as if it was done by an intern on work experience.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I'm officially sick of this brat.
    Me too. I still don't know what she does. I've only heard about her because of her having dreads and being made fun of that she may stink like weed and patchouli, a Barbie doll, now this.
    Watermelonkisses23 likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

My kids were introduced to KC Undercover this summer. Their "sass" level has skyrocketed since then.

Boston mass, I now reside in the WHITE MOUNTAINS NH

I ended up not caring for her from dancing with the stars. She was a little snobby whiney assed bitch.

Uhhh. You would think they are used to that kind of shit by now.
    Yippy skippy...Big deal, they smoothed it out or whatever. Go on with your life.
    Watermelonkisses23 likes this.

Thread Information