Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Lofty Bike
  • 2 Post By NickiDrea
  • 1 Post By Bellatheball

Thread: Sandra Bullock: My son 'absolutely' aware of racism

Default Sandra Bullock: My son 'absolutely' aware of racism

Being a parent isn’t easy, especially when there are difficult lessons to be taught. But Sandra Bullock is making sure that her son, Louis, is aware of racial bias. In a new interview with BET, the Our Brand Is Crisis star, 51, revealed that she is “absolutely” already talking to her 5-year-old about racism.
    “He fully understands what that means,” the Oscar-winning actress said when asked about teaching her little boy, who is black, about prejudice. “He doesn’t understand why people judge each other based on color of their skin, but he knows they do. He also knows there’s sexism, he knows that there’s homophobia.”
    Though Bullock may prefer to protect her son from all evils in the world, she also understands that she needs to prepare him. “I want him to know the truth, but I also want him to know the good in the world as well,” she said. “Those are hard conversations to have. It’s not any conversation any parent wants to have with their child, is that you’ll be judged by the color of your skin rather than the content of your character. But it exists, and I want him to be safe and I want him to be aware.”

As for teaching him about prejudice at such an early age, the Gravity star says she believes it’s for the better. “I think if you don’t start the conversation early on, you’re doing them a disservice,” she said. “Once he leaves that house and I’m not with him, it’s his life and how he approaches it is his decision. But I want to know that I did the best I could as his mom to educate him on the ugliness in the world, and also the beauty.”
    Bullock adopted Louis from New Orleans in 2010 amid her divorce from then-husband Jesse James. The couple had started the adoption process together, but after it was revealed that James had several affairs, the actress filed for divorce and proceeded to adopt the little boy as a single parent.

The actress is now dating photographer Bryan Randall, whom she had hired to photograph her son’s birthday party in January. “Bryan’s a child whisperer,” a source previously told Us Weekly. “I’ve never met a kid who didn’t love him.”
    As Us exclusively reported, the handsome former model recently moved in with Bullock. “Bryan and Sandra are homebodies,” a source told Us, and the couple enjoys spending quiet evenings as a family with Louis.

Read more: Sandra Bullock Is "Absolutely" Teaching Son Louis About Racism - Us Weekly
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Hmm. Maybe I'm stupid because I'm not a parent, but I have a hard time believing a 5 year old can comprehend those things. Kudos to her for teaching him, but still.

I am not a parent either, but I work with children and some of the 6 year old in my care do ask me questions about skin color and what that means. They are aware of their differences and talk about it, you can hear their parents opinions through their words, just unfiltered and raw. So it is a good thing when parents have talked about that topic and formed their childrens mindset at that point. I once had a 6 year old racist around for a short time, that was horrible for everyone, including that poor misguided little boy who eagerly spread hate and couldn't understand the backlash.
    *DIVA! and Mrs P like this.

Totally agree with Sandra. You can talk about anything with a child as long as you can convey it on his/her level.

My daughter has been aware of different skin colors since she was able to talk. We went through a phase where she only wanted dolls with "brown" skin. To her, skin color is like having different hair or eye color. Then, she became aware of different accents and languages. Obviously kids pick up on that.

I do think you have to be very careful in the way you explain things to kids at this age. Sometimes explaining things to a child that they can't fully comprehend can backfire. You don't want to suggest to them something that they aren't thinking. I don't want to tell my daughter that people may treat her differently and think she can't do certain things because she's a girl. It kind of gets her in that mindset.

I call shenanigans on this. It's one thing for a kid to notice different skin colors- my five year olds definitely know that some people are brown, some "yellow," some tan, some pale, etc. But there is a big difference between recognizing skin color and understanding racism. A 5 year old does not have the capacity to "fully understand racism." I was 5 or 6 the first time I was called the "n" word. My dad (well versed on the topic of racism) tried to explain prejudice to me. I didn't understand then and to be honest, I'm almost in my mid-30's and I still don't fully understand racism now.

Racism is complex and even adults argue about what does and doesn't constitute racism. I don't believe that a 5 year old would completely understand it- period.
    Lofty Bike and Bellatheball like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

My son came home from school when he was 4 and said he wanted to be white like all the other kids were.

He's Italian with very dark skin, but ever since he was very young a lot of the kids would call him "Paki". Throughout school, they even managed to incorrectly pronounce his name, and its a very common name. People still ask him if he's East Indian, and sometimes he says he is, just for the hell of it.

^ Agreed. My kids honestly didn't seem to notice skin color until that age. My son is in love with "brown Maggie, not the blonde Maggie" at school. To them, skin color is just a descriptor, just like hair and eye color. A good friend of mine is a black woman who teaches African American studies. Her son and mine are best friends. She has said there will be a time when she has to discuss racial disparity with her kids but she thinks it can wait until they are much older (they are 7 now).
    darksithbunny likes this.

When my daughter was in the 3rd grade she came home and called me the "n" word. She had heard it on the bus. She had no idea what it meant. But the 4th grade boys on the bus knew what it meant and were hurling it at the only black girl on that bus.

Granted, my daughter was older than five but she got an education that day, as best I could break it down for a child that young. It's never too early, it's just a different conversation based on their age.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Y'all are awesome parents and teachers. Seriously. And I hate that it's a still a "thing" that you have to teach them to raise their awareness when they're still relative babies. A lot of my family (parents and above) are hidden racists and it repulses me. Break the cycle.

Thread Information