Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By NickiDrea
  • 5 Post By BITTER
  • 2 Post By ManxMouse
  • 2 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 6 Post By NickiDrea
  • 5 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: Raven-Symone's dad talks her comments on Black Names on ABC's The View Blames Whoopi

Bronze Member

Cool Raven-Symone's dad talks her comments on Black Names on ABC's The View Blames Whoopi

Raven disgusts me so much that I can't even stand looking at her. Even as a kid, I hated Olivia on the Cosby Show.

I keep wondering what her brother Blaize thinks about her comments about "ghetto names." Plus, she has no room to talk about names- "Raven Symoné," with a useless accent aigu above the e?
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Wow. Her dad is cute.

Raven Symon-nay-nay.

Her opinion on names doesn't bug me as much as her fucked up haircut - she looks like the Heat Miser's punk daughter.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

As fucked up as it is, the research data shows that people with "white" sounding names are more likely to be called for an interview than those with an ethnic name. For AA, they are 16% less likely to receive a call.

In hiring, racial bias is still a problem. But not always for reasons you think - Fortune

Yeah, it's a real thing about getting interviews ....

from this site, by the way: https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter
    snoopqueen and BITTER like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Her opinion on names doesn't bug me as much as her fucked up haircut - she looks like the Heat Miser's punk daughter.
    LOL!!

BITTER and snoopqueen like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    As fucked up as it is, the research data shows that people with "white" sounding names are more likely to be called for an interview than those with an ethnic name. For AA, they are 16% less likely to receive a call.

In hiring, racial bias is still a problem. But not always for reasons you think - Fortune
    In the black community we have known this for years. The problem is that she isn't speaking out against discriminating against people this way. She is saying that she thinks it's perfectly fine to discriminate against people based on their names, as long as it's a "ghetto" name. No one has a problem with traditional Gaelic or Italian names, or names like Mackenzie, Brooklyn, Madison, etc. But people with perfectly nice names like Imani, Keisha, Jamal or Tyrone (which was originally an traditional Irish name, by the way) get discriminated against.

I can't get behind the idea that black people should choose traditionally "white" names for our children just to avoid being discriminated against. We are told that we must whitewash our hair, speech and names to assimilate and even then we are still discriminated against. I may get job interviews because my name is Nicolette, but I have seen the shocked/displeased facial expressions when the interview sees that I am a black woman.

The fact that she used the the hypothetical name "Watermeldrea" or whatever to illustrate her point shows her mindset on this issue.
    sluce, sparkles, Orangina and 3 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

• Ann Coulter Vs. Raven Symone: Fiery Feud…

Ann Coulter Vs. Raven Symone: Fiery Feud Erupts Over Immigrants On ‘The View’ — Watch

Fri, October 16, 2015 4:37pm EDT by

Ann Coulter is at it again. During her recent appearance on ‘The View,’ the conservative pundit, unsurprisingly, clashed with all of the ladies but specifically, she and host Raven Symone got into it big time over immigration and name calling– and it got way heated. Watch!

When Ann Coulter, 53, dropped by The View on Oct. 16 to promote her new book Adios America, it literally took less than one minute for the controversial commentator (who may or may not be made of snakes) to start sparring with the talk show’s panel of women. However, when Raven Symone, 29, asked the author why she insists on being so nasty, specifically about immigrants, well, shots were fired. Check out a clip to see the two women go the heck at it.
    “I have a question for you,” Raven says, trying to get Ann’s attention. “My mom taught me when I was younger, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all,” Raven says with a fire in her voice that shows, already, she is pissed. Immediately, the crowd erupted into cheers, but Raven pressed on.
    Whose team are you on?

Team Ann!Team Raven!Other:
    VoteView Results

“Why do you think that it’s important to mudsling and have these words that obviously touch the hearts and souls of so many people of America being said, when we’re taught something different as a child?” Raven prods Ann.
    Now, you may recall that Raven got into a little hot water herself on the show’s Oct. 8 episode, when the subject of supposedly “ghetto names” were brought up and Raven said, “I’m not about to hire you if your name is Watermelondrea.” It was cringe-worthy for sure, however, shortly after making the comments, Raven apologized, saying, “My comment was in poor taste. My lack of empathy towards name discrimination was uncalled for.”
    Ann, though, decided to use Raven’s faux pas against her, contrasting it with her own beliefs on immigration. “Well I’m at least talking about policy, you have a problem with what peoples’ name should be!” Ann said. “Watermelondrea, I mean, you’ll insult people for their names, I’m talking about a government policy” she added as a closeup on Raven showed what could only be described as venomous hatred pumping through her veins.
    Did Ann have a right to call Raven out? Whose opinions do you more closely agree with?
    — Casey Mink

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ann Coulter is amusing & she's honest. She did a talk in Toronto a few years ago & said some not so nice things. Don't remember but sure youtube has it.

She shut her right down! Boom!

Ann Coulter is a cunt.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information