Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Winona Ryder on aging: ‘How do you win? If I don’t look ageless, I look haggard’

Default Winona Ryder on aging: ‘How do you win? If I don’t look ageless, I look haggard’

On people saying she looks the same as she did 25 years ago

“It’s such a double-edged sword, because, it’s like, I want to be allowed to grow up,” Ryder tells ET, curled up in a black tracksuit — she thought we were going to chat by phone — in a suite at the Crosby Hotel in New York City. She blames the current state of nostalgia on social media, which has resurfaced younger pictures of her. “How do you win? If I don’t look ageless, I look haggard. Or if I look normal or whatever, then they’ll talk about how bad I look…”

Ryder, however, has no interest in plastic surgery. “I don’t judge, but I’m just terrified ofneedles,” she says.

On why she didn’t get roles playing women her age
    “I feel like when you’ve had a lot of success in your teen years and 20s — and I’m not trying to speak for anyone else — but something kind of happens where you are in your 30s and people associate you so much with those other roles,” Ryder says. “So, they don’t really think of you as old enough, even though you are old enough.”

“I feel like I kind of had this thing in my 30s where it was just hard because people were really holding onto this ingénue thing.”
    “I wasn’t that anymore and I looked young, you know, and I’m not complaining about that, but I also agreed,” Ryder adds, as she sits wide-eyed on the room’s loveseat. “I wouldn’t buy myself as a district attorney when I was 35 either, even though I could have been one, you know, age-wise.”

On her role in Black Swan

“I’m so grateful to Darren [Aronofsky] for giving me that role,“ Ryder says. “It wasn’t something I pursued, because I didn’t think in a million years I could be a ballerina or anything. But, you know, I really owe him a great debt there.”

On playing a character her age in the HBO miniseries Show Me A Hero

“The way that [director Paul Haggis] shot me was super unflattering but great… Look, we all want to look good and stuff, but I think there is something great about embracing getting older.”

On growing old gracefully

Without referencing the current discussion about ageism in Hollywood, which has led many actresses to speak about being overlooked as they get older, Ryder applauds the likes of Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, and Juliette Binoche for setting the example for aging gracefully. “You look at a lot of these actresses that are winning Academy Awards, and they’re beautiful,” she says.

The actress even has a special phrase for blushing in honor of Binoche. “Very genuinely, I’d call it Binoche-ing,” she says as she pinches the top of her own cheeks, referencing the French actress’ early 1988 film, The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
    “Correct me if I’m wrong, but maybe there’s a new standard of beauty,” Ryder adds.

[From ET Online, headers added]

Cele|bitchy | Winona Ryder on aging: ‘How do you win? If I don’t look ageless, I look haggard’

I must have been drunk or stoned during Black Swan because I don't remember her in it. That being said, I love Winona. Heathers was awesome. Beetle Juice was awesome. Reality Bites was awesome. She's fun to watch in the TV show Drunk History too.
    Beeyotch and mopar like this.

Elite Member

Her skin is gorgeous. I think she looks amazing…except she's got some crazy eyes going on now in so many pictures. Freaks me out.
    Ravenna and Jazzy like this.

She's not afraid of botox and fillers. Still, she does look damn good. The eyes are crazy though.
    rollo, Annika and joebob like this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I had to look up what role she had in Black Swan too. Now that I remember it, she did well. She's well cast as the bitchy faded star.

On why she didn't get roles ... are we supposed to have forgotten why?

Nevertheless, she's looking good now and hopefully will get more roles as the same actresses keep being cast in her age group.
    bootspaige and Jazzy like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Winona comes off as if she has a few bats free in the belfry.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I really love her hair in this pic!

My own eyes started to hurt when looking at that picture.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I never expected aging would be difficult for this one but it seems like it is. And it's not even a looks thing. Really she's holding up well in that area.

There's something going on mentally. Or maybe it's just my perception. I wish I would see her in as many things now as I used to and I don't know why I don't.

Maybe because she won't give head to gross guys in charge like Goopy.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I guess I just assume it's well known she has mental-illness struggles, she's been open about anxiety and depression, and there certainly could be more to it than that but she's not likely to talk about anything except the more acceptable disorders (i.e., if she has had mania or psychosis or personality disorder/s then I can understand why she'd stay quiet about that, given the stigma).
    Mrs P and mopar like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

She did get a nose job early in her career, but she is a true beauty...
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

^^She's very pretty,but I hate it when people say they're not interested in plastic surgery when they've clearly had work done.
    Laurent, Brah, holly and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Ryder, however, has no interest in plastic surgery. “I don’t judge, but I’m just terrified of needles,” she says.
    I love her, but c'mon now. That immovable surprise face looks awfully injectable.
    Mrs P, redcat, Beeyotch and 1 others like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    ^^She's very pretty,but I hate it when people say they're not interested in plastic surgery when they've clearly had work done.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information