• 2 Post By tulip
  • 1 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 1 Post By BeantownBitch
  • 1 Post By LastLook
  • 2 Post By Annika
  • 3 Post By BeantownBitch

Thread: Selena Gomez Has Lupus

Default Selena Gomez Has Lupus

I feel horrible for her, this is not an easy condition to live with. A girl I grew up with died at 34 when her daughters were very young.

Selena Gomez reveals lupus diagnosis, chemotherapy: ‘I could have died’

In early 2014, there were rumors that Selena Gomez was suffering from lupus. She never confirmed that, although her grandfather supposedly spoke to the press about it. That was around the time that she cancelled a major tour. Selena is doing the promotional rounds for her upcoming album and she’s revealed some personal information about what she’s gone through the past two years. She’s said that she was hurt by criticism of her body and she recently revealed that she’s been in therapy to help deal with her reaction to that. In a new cover story and interview with Billboard magazine, Selena said that she was indeed diagnosed with lupus and that she underwent chemotherapy treatment for it. That must have been awful! All of that happened at the same time she was being mocked both online and in person.

On her lupus diagnosis and chemotherapy
    “I was diagnosed with lupus, and I’ve been through chemotherapy. That’s what my break was really about. I could’ve had a stroke,” Gomez says of her time spent out of the spotlight, which gossip-mongers took as fodder for addiction rumors. “I wanted so badly to say, ‘You guys have no idea. I’m in chemotherapy. You’re assholes.’ I locked myself away until I was confident and comfortable again.”

She deal with a lot of hate
    “I’m so f—ing nice to everybody, and everyone is so vile to me. I’ve been working since I was 7. I’ve been a UNICEF ambassador since I was 17. It’s so disappointing that I’ve become a tabloid story,” Gomez says. But it helped propel her to new places for Revival: “The hate motivated me.”

On if she’s inspired by Bieber
    Former boyfriend Justin Bieber is undergoing a similar maturation in the pop world, but Gomez dismisses any notion she’s inspired by his career turnaround. “No. This is my time. I’ve deserved this. I earned it. This is all me.”

On being hurt by critics
    Gomez admits Internet trolls affected her self-confidence earlier this year. “I was in a bikini and got publicly ripped for being overweight,” Gomez says. “That was the first time I’d experienced body shaming like that. I believed some of the words they were saying. When somebody else has your self-esteem in their hands …” According to Gomez, that’s why you see her baring her body on the cover of Revival — she’s not afraid of what the online critics might say.

Taylor Swift is helping her feel normal again
    Gomez is understandably reluctant to allow new people into her world, but says pal Taylor Swift is helping her trust others. “Taylor makes me feel empowered, like I can trust new people,” she says of the Squad. “All of those girls are so dope. We ran around taking pictures, changing dresses, dancing — super-cliche girly stuff, but it rocked. The way she cares about women is so adamant. It’s pulling me out of my shell.”

[From Billboard, headers added]

Can you imagine being under all that public scrutiny while dealing with a terrible health crisis at the age of 21? Plus having to keep quiet and not tell anyone what was going on? I get the impression that Gomez is not on board with continuing to be in the public eye, but I hope I’m wrong. I also hope she’s ok now and that her health is improved.

I question how empowering it is to become part of Taylor Swift’s crew and to do Instagram-ready activities, but if that helped her feel normal it’s a good thing. It sounds like she’s been in this fishbowl since she was very young and like she’s over it.

Gomez goes strategically topless for her upcoming album. Similar to Demi Lovato’s recent nude shoot, Gomez described posing nude as freeing and said that it helped her overcome body image issues. You can see that image here.

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

But it's never lupus.

Boston mass, I now reside in the WHITE MOUNTAINS NH

Awwthat sucks. My son has it. He is 37 now. I'll never forget when i took him the boston the doctor told me he will be lucky if he lives to 40. I was so pissed at her for saying that to me.

Heis doing ok, Has a lot of arthritis and cysts and pain. He is finally taking meds again.

I'm sorry to hear that, beantown. I hope the meds are helping him feel better.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownBitch View Post
    Awwthat sucks. My son has it. He is 37 now. I'll never forget when i took him the boston the doctor told me he will be lucky if he lives to 40. I was so pissed at her for saying that to me.

Heis doing ok, Has a lot of arthritis and cysts and pain. He is finally taking meds again.
    Oh my, that his horrible. I'm sorry to hear that. Glad that he's doing OK though.
    Lalasnake and BeantownBitch like this.

That's a shame. I don't know why she kept a secret as long as she did. Seems it only fueled nasty rumors and she came out with it anyway.

My daughter watched Disney when Selena was on it. I remember watching an interview with her years ago where I got the strong sense that a) she preferred acting to singing b) Disney was pushing the multi talent tween thing, hence the "singing" career and c) she was not all that comfortable with fame.

She still comes off that way about fame anyway.
    LastLook likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Elite Member

There's more than one kind of lupus. Systemic has a poorer prognosis and higher mortality rate. The second kind I'd discoid. It's far less invasive yet still painful and debilitating. My mother in law was diagnosed with discoid nearly 35 years ago. She's had a few rounds of oral based chemo.

Lupus is serious. Yet, my tin foil cap makes me think she's OK and just found a good excuse for all the drug rumours.

Well, i remember it was just kind of newish when my son was diagnosed with it.
    He was about 12 or so. No one had even heard about it and i did not think much of it then they said how women are carriers and then my older sis found out she had it too.

It was so wierd, we lived in mass. at the time and he would go out to play in winter and pretty much come in crying because his hands would be literally blue and all puffed up and swollen.

He would always want to put his hands into warm water to ease it but it was not a good thing to do from what i found out.
    I just could not bare seeing him in so much pain. Finally went to the docs and he barely looked at him an said lupus and made me go into boston for his treatment asap.

Thanks for the kind word guys. Yep, he is doing well. He will not go on disabilty though. He is a plummer and makes good money.
    I just hope what that damn doctor said does not happen.
    Most people live normal lives with treatment. Sometimes i find myself in tears over him and it's almost like i can feel his pain but can't do anything for him but be his mom.

I hope she is getting some great treatment and gets better.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

BeantownBitch, God bless you and your son! Hang in there and make the best of every day, as I'm sure you have been doing all along.

I was kind of surprised when it came out recently about Selena's lupus because I thought it wasn't a secret, at least not among any who followed her a little. It feels like I've known this for at least a couple of years, but I can't place where I first heard it.
    BeantownBitch likes this.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

beantown, that doctor who told you that was an asshole. no one can predict another person's life expectancy. not even a doctor with a god complex.

good luck to you and your son. he sounds like a fighter!
    Jazzy and BeantownBitch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    beantown, that doctor who told you that was an asshole. no one can predict another person's life expectancy. not even a doctor with a god complex.

good luck to you and your son. he sounds like a fighter!

I know right?
    I still to his DAY think of it and wished i had told her to fuck off for saying something so awful thinking it was okay to do so.

I fought with my husband for months about it. Sucked so bad.
    My boy def is a fighter and i tell anyone and everyone who has it that there is life after a lupus diagnosis.
    Annika, LastLook and Jazzy like this.

Thread Information