Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ashley Judd says she was sexually harassed by a film executive in the 90s

Default Ashley Judd says she was sexually harassed by a film executive in the 90s

I was sexually harassed by one of our industry’s most famous, admired-slash-reviled bosses. I was making “Kiss the Girls” at the time, and here I was, a declared feminist…and yet I did not recognize at the time what was happening to me. It took years before I could evaluate that incident and realize that there was something incredibly wrong and illegal about it.

In my example, there was no casting involved. This was just twirling the lasso. I think it’s very important to note that I considered myself empowered. He was very stealth and expert about it. He groomed me, which is a technical term – Oh, come meet at the hotel for something to eat. Fine, I show up. Oh, he’s actually in his room. I’m like, Are you kidding me? I just worked all night. I’m just going to order cereal. It went on in these stages. It was so disgusting. He physically lured me by saying, “Oh, help me pick out what I’m going to wear.” There was a lot that happened between the point of entry and the bargaining. There was this whole process of bargaining—“Come do this, come do this, come do this.” And I would say, “No, no, no.” I have a feeling if this is online and people have the opportunity to post comments, a lot of the people will say, “Why didn’t you leave the room?”, which is victim-blaming. When I kept saying no to everything, there was a huge asymmetry of power and control in that room.

This will be familiar to all the women to whom this has happened. I have a feeling we are a legion. I was with a bunch of other actors, and it was critical that it was actors: The exact same thing had happened to them by the exact same mogul. Only when we were sitting around talking about it did we realize our experiences were identical. There was a mutual strengthening and fortification of our resolve.

The ultimate thing when I was weaseling out of everything else was, “Will you watch me take a shower?” And all the other women, sitting around this table with me, said, “Oh my god—that’s what he said to me too.” In that moment, I told him something like, “When I win an Academy Award in one of your movies.” He said, “No, when you get nominated.” I said, “No, no, when I win an Academy Award.” That was a small moment of power when I was able to contradict him and hold to my reality. And then I got out of there. And by the way, I’ve never been offered a movie by that studio. Ever.

[From Variety]

Cele|bitchy | Ashley Judd talks about an unnamed movie mogul who sexually harassed her

First of all, her cheeks...wth?
    Secondly, I get what she's saying, but I think she got off lucky. I've read far far worse stories about what actors have been through as far as sexual abuse and intimidation.
    Last edited by sprynkles; October 8th, 2015 at 04:59 AM.
    czb likes this.

She needs attention now I guess??
    Lily Bleu, Mrs P and teforde23 like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

People with cheek implants should never smile.
    Also, Harvey Weinstein is a fucking dirtbag.
    Mrs P and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

I would feel bad for her if she wasn't such a twat.

If you have enough talent and luck (fuck, it's Hollywood), you might be Meryl Streep. VERY rarely. Get roles and accolades a plenty without sucking Harvey Weinstein (et al.) and letting him fuck you in the ass. If you are...say a Blake Lively, you may likely get a few roles out of it and a Hollywood trophy husband. Btw, good luck with the revamped lifestyle website, hon.

Ashley was never an award (not even nom) worthy actress, but she was awful pretty in her prime. With a family just famous enough to get her some extra movie tickets sold based upon recognition and adoration. So, maybe she could have gotten a few more roles before she fucked up her face. Who knows, watching the perv shower might have added a couple years to her longevity. Hollywood is not where you go to be appreciated for much other than...what you do after doing someone to get that "what", or, having that very rare, innate "it" factor. Which a nominal few actually do have. And it rarely lasts forever.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    I would feel bad for her if she wasn't such a twat.

So only nice victims of sexual assult and harrasment deserve to be listened to and be empathized with? WTF?

If a sleazy comment is the worst that happened to her in two decades of Hollywood, then she's lucky.

I can't help but wonder if this is her attempt to join the Bill Cosby scandal, like, "Hey, look at me everybody!"
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Harvey Weinstein is so vile, disgusting and gross. That said, Ashley Judd is a smart woman. I have a hard time believing she didn't know she was being lured and that he is some kind of stealth expert at it. She had his number from the jump. But, she was trying to figure out how to reject his advances while still keeping her options open career-wise.

Also, it's not victim-blaming to ask "Why didn't you just leave the room?" It's a valid question.

In addition, how is it a small moment of power to tell him that an Academy Award is worth watching him shower? She basically told him "I am for sale, but for a higher price than you're used to paying or able to pay." That's not power. Power is when you're not for sale.
    mtlebay and Belt Up like this.

She should have just handed the creep a mute stone.

She's clearly implying it's Harvey Weinstein (especially with the magazine article clue) however if so, her final comment that she never worked for the man's studio in retaliation is untrue. Post-Kiss The Girls she's done movies by both Miramax (the Weinstein's old company) and The Weinsten Co. (their new one).
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I really can't stand her, every article I have read about her comes across as negative to me.

She must have handed him a stone. Doesn't she carry stones around on movie sets and gives them to the people she wants to talk to.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    She must have handed him a stone. Doesn't she carry stones around on movie sets and gives them to the people she wants to talk to.
    She gave out mute stones to people who weren't allowed to speak to her until she took the stone back. If someone gave me a mute stone, I would just refuse to give it back.

I feel harassed just seeing "Harvey" and "shower" in the same sentence.
    BrickHouse and CornFlakegrl like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information