Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rollo

Thread: Rihanna On Rachel Dolezal 'I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero'

Default Rihanna On Rachel Dolezal 'I Think She Was a Bit of a Hero'

On being a “poster child” for domestic abuse: “Well, I just never understood that, like how the victim gets punished over and over. It’s in the past, and I don’t want to say ‘Get over it,’ because it’s a very serious thing that is still relevant; it’s still real. A lot of women, a lot of young girls, are still going through it. A lot of young boys too. It’s not a subject to sweep under the rug, so I can’t just dismiss it like it wasn’t anything, or I don’t take it seriously. But, for me, and anyone who’s been a victim of domestic abuse, nobody wants to even remember it. Nobody even wants to admit it. So to talk about it and say it once, much less 200 times, is like … I have to be punished for it? It didn’t sit well with me.”

She digs Rachel Dolezal:
    “I think she was a bit of a hero, because she kind of flipped on society a little bit. Is it such a horrible thing that she pretended to be black? Black is a great thing, and I think she legit changed people’s perspective a bit and woke people up.”

Her naked C.F.D.A. “dress::
    “I wanted to wear something that looked like it was floating on me. But after that, I thought, O.K., we can’t do this again for a while. No nipples, no sexy sh*t, or it’s going to be like a gimmick. That night [at the C.F.D.A. awards] was like a last hurrah; I decided to take a little break from that and wear clothes.”

She wants to be normal: “Dude! Oh my God – this is scary and sad all at the same time. I literally dream about buying my own groceries. Swear to God. Because it is something that is real and normal. Something that can keep you a little bit uncomfortable. A hundred percent. Because life is not perfect, and the minute you feel it’s perfect, it’s not real. Artists sign a deal to make music; we didn’t sign to be perfect, or to be role models. We’re all flawed human beings who are learning and growing and evolving and going through the same bullsh*t as everybody else. The fact that people expect the day we sign we’re supposed to be perfect does not make any fucking sense to me. Even tragedy, every trial in your life, is a test. It’s like a class – you take an exam, and if you pass, you move on to the next. You still have to take another test and prove yourself again.”

[From Vanity Fair]

Cele|bitchy | Rihanna on ‘hero’ Rachel Dolezal: ‘Black is a great thing & she woke people up’

She might be growing up a little?
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^ Some of what she says makes sense but I don't get the Rachel Dolezal love.
    czb and BelledeJour like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I like that thing she's wearing.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    ^ Some of what she says makes sense but I don't get the Rachel Dolezal love.
    I wondered about that. Only thing I came up with: she just thinks it's a refreshing development that (as she sees it) some random white person sincerely loves blackness and black people and wanted to be black so much--not just in a trendy way, but to the point that she actually made it happen, so to speak, and got people to believe it.

It's very Rihanna to ignore the crazy aspect and simply perceive Dolezal as rebellious and cool, bucking society and all that. It's also kind of a pragmatic viewpoint, isn't it? as opposed to PC, or judging Dolezal's behavior harshly as some kind of ultimate cultural appropriation type thing. I know some people were quite offended.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Rihanna has a dead animal on top of her head.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

^ you sure that's dead?
    -

Thread Information