Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 'Who's the Boss?' star Danny Pintauro reveals he's HIV-positive

Default 'Who's the Boss?' star Danny Pintauro reveals he's HIV-positive

(CNN)"Who's the Boss?" star Danny Pintauro revealed that he's HIV-positive in an interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired on Saturday. He was diagnosed with the infection in 2003.Pintauro, who played the precocious son Jonathan Bower on the long-running '80s sitcom, shared his secret with Winfrey on her network's "Where Are They Now?" show.

"I wanted to tell you this a long time ago, but I wasn't ready," Pintauro told Winfrey. "I'm ready now. I'm HIV-positive and I have been for 12 years."

Pintauro, 39, came out publicly as a gay man in 1997 after he said a tabloid reporter told him he would be outed with or without his consent.

The diagnosis came in 2003 after a regular checkup. "You know, as a responsible gay man, you're getting an HIV test done every six months."
    The news came with a "weird combination of feelings," Pintauro told Winfrey.

"There's this awful feeling of 'I'm never going to be able to have a good relationship, no one's every going to want me.' That was there and that was prevalent. You know, that moment of 'Oh God, I'm now going to have that conversation every time I meet someone. Who's going to want to love me?'"

Fortunately, Pintauro's fears didn't stop him from finding happiness. He married his husband, Wil Tabares, in 2014.

Pintauro posted a photo with Tabares to Instagram on Saturday, apparently referring to his public announcement: "Last meal as a nobody. first meal as an activist. #lifelovelive."

Source: 'Who's the Boss?' star Danny Pintauro is HIV-positive - CNN.com

Gold Member

Isn't this old news? I know I read about this years ago, though I don't remember where.
    Palermo likes this.

thank god HIV is much more manageable since the cocktails were introduced in the mid nineties. reminds me of what diabetes must have been like before insulin, you would just die with no hope. i always get so sad when i watch youtube videos of all the talented famous people (and regular every day people) who have died of AIDS. especially during the eighties and early nineties. unfortunately people still get sick and die, but there is so much more hope now for those who suffer from this awful disorder. i used to date an aids researcher. really interesting and sad.

the history of the politics for research is so gross.

^ So true. Magic Johnson's been HIV positive for years, yet he still going strong.
    Annika likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartShapedBox View Post
    ^ So true. Magic Johnson's been HIV positive for years, yet he still going strong.
    a lot of that research the guy i dated did was trying to find out why some people stayed healthy and why some people died so quickly after a dx. and if they could isolate a strain and somehow make a vaccine or use it to overtake the existing deadlier strain. i am not 100% sure this is what they were doing, i can't exactly recall the research, but this was back in the early 2000's.

There are apparently dozens, if not hundreds of HIV strains...it mutates very quickly.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

This is such sad news, but thankfully with the newer treatments he'll probably be able to maintain a somewhat normal and long life.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

eva

Now if he can only fix his eyebrow situation.
    Insert witty line here

He doesn't look well in that picture.
    rollo, Clubber Lang and Annika like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

he's never looked well as an adult.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I'm sure he already announced this years ago, because I remember it

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    thank god HIV is much more manageable since the cocktails were introduced in the mid nineties. reminds me of what diabetes must have been like before insulin, you would just die with no hope. i always get so sad when i watch youtube videos of all the talented famous people (and regular every day people) who have died of AIDS. especially during the eighties and early nineties. unfortunately people still get sick and die, but there is so much more hope now for those who suffer from this awful disorder. i used to date an aids researcher. really interesting and sad.

the history of the politics for research is so gross.
    So true, a childhood friend of mine died in 1988, last saw him in 1984. He had moved to Florida for a career in the fashion industry and was such a smart, beautiful young man. Of course the family tried to keep it a secret, just like his gayness was a "secret". None of his old friends even knew he was sick, and then boom he was gone. Such a shame, he deserved so much better.
    Annika, bootspaige and Lalasnake like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

the article doesn't mention the fact that he was a crystal queen at one point.

he probably had unsafe sex when he was using crystal meth.
    holly and BITTER like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Elite Member

That's a good point ^ something about meth makes people throw the idea of safe sex right out the window, plus there's a lot of needle use that goes on with it... I've always been thankful that tweak was never my bag.
    holly and sprynkles like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I've had a soft spot for him since Cujo. Apparently he irritated many people with his performance in that, but I thought it was heartbreaking and realistic; maybe because he looked like my son did at that age. I wish the best for him, and hope this helps others who are in hiding feel a measure of support to come out with their HIV diagnosis.
    Sunnygirl and Lalasnake like this.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information