• 4 Post By Chalet

Thread: Robert De Niro Walks Out Of Interview After Awkward Exchange

Elite Member

Default Robert De Niro Walks Out Of Interview After Awkward Exchange

Robert De Niro Walks Out Of Interview After Awkward Exchange

Robert De Niro Walks Out Of Interview After Awkward Exchange

The Huffington Post
    Carly Ledbetter 9 hrs ago

Robert De Niro, star of the new movie "The Intern," walked out of an interview with Radio Times journalist Emma Brockes while doing press for his new movie.

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP

According to Brockes' account, De Niro became upset with her line of questioning and asked Brockes to pause her recorder while he scrambled to leave.

Apparently, De Niro took offense to the "negative" nature of the questions and ended the exchange by saying, "I'm not doing this, darling."

"I think you're very condescending," Brockes reportedly said during the exchange.

"Oh, you think 'darling' is condescending?" De Niro replied.

"I have sympathy with De Niro because nobody wants to be there for these choreographed junket interviews," said Brockes in a statement to The Independent. "I was expecting him to be a little quiet, but the combination of hostility and condescension irritated me and I ended up losing my cool."

Piers Morgan once called De Niro "the hardest star to interview," and it appears the actor is living up to his reputation. We can't wait to see how the rest of the press interviews go for "The Intern." Hopefully, none of them are quite as awkward as this uncomfortable exchange.

Elite Member

What I take from this is, that the film sucks and De Niro knows it, so he can't be bothered to make an effort. He's been in the business long enough to known what's expected from him at a press junket. Sure, she could have worded the question more politely, but I'm sick and tired of celebrities, who need to have their egos fluffed on a regular basis.

I hate celebs who don't want to do interviews but don't mind collecting the paychecks and getting the perks that come with their status. Get over yourself Robert and do the interview. Everyone has something about their job that they don't like. I hate reading the weekly calendar at work. Every Monday. I hate it. But I do it because it's my job.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Afaik de Niro is a mess. A friend of mine had extensive dealings with him last year .. I guess I can't say much about the circumstances, because I wouldn't want to reveal the friend's identity or the organization involved. But he and his wife both acted like self-important out-of-touch jerks in a situation where they really should not have. After getting an earful and seeing my friend's disappointment in the situation, this behavior is exactly what I'd expect.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I don't know much about De Niro, but I'm wondering what the questions were? If they strayed off course from what the normal junket questions are supposed to be...mostly about the movie. Remember the guy with Robert Downey Jr?

I love DeNiro's work, but interviews are part of the job. Out of all of his wives, I liked Toukie; she was funny.

There was a pitched battle in Gawker yesterday over this. With half taking the interviewer's side and the other half taking DeNiro's. DeNiro has ALWAYS had a difficult time articulating something coherent in an interview. It's not going to get better in his sixties, LOL....

Journalists don't flatter so much in Europe. They are not going to stick to fluff questions if they can help it.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I love DeNiro's work, but interviews are part of the job. Out of all of his wives, I liked Toukie; she was funny.
    Oh yes, I've got a Toukie story for ya Bitter! One of my best friends has always looked like Whitney Houston. 5'7", killer legs, face of an angel. She was friends with her brother, Willi Smith, in the 80's. Willi has a party and invites my friend who brings a date. It was the 80's sooo - she wore a white leather mini skirt, white leather cowboy boots and white cowboy hat. Mr. DeNiro is with Toukie but he's following and staring down my friend all night. She notices, she moves to another area, he moves too.

You didn't do that with Toukie around. Toukie had Willi introduce to my friend and her date to her. Toukie checked her out real bad. My friend is very sweet but so painfully shy she will actually stand behind you for protection. My friend decided to leave after that, she was too uncomfortable.

Love your stories, Chalet!
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I heard about this on the radio. Apparently the interviewer asked De Niro how he manages to avoid acting on autopilot. In the discussion, they also said Tommy Lee Jones was the worst actor to interview.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Love your stories, Chalet!
    Thanks, lol. At least my memory is still in tact. Not many brushes with celebrity in the last decade but I look back and see how many friends had some good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Oh yes, I've got a Toukie story for ya Bitter! One of my best friends has always looked like Whitney Houston. 5'7", killer legs, face of an angel. She was friends with her brother, Willi Smith, in the 80's. Willi has a party and invites my friend who brings a date. It was the 80's sooo - she wore a white leather mini skirt, white leather cowboy boots and white cowboy hat. Mr. DeNiro is with Toukie but he's following and staring down my friend all night. She notices, she moves to another area, he moves too.

You didn't do that with Toukie around. Toukie had Willi introduce to my friend and her date to her. Toukie checked her out real bad. My friend is very sweet but so painfully shy she will actually stand behind you for protection. My friend decided to leave after that, she was too uncomfortable.
    What an awesome story Chalet...I believe all of it. DeNiro has always preferred black women. He should've stayed with Toukie but I think his roving eye sabotaged the relationship. His first, Diahann Abbott was cute too, but she didn't stick around either. He allegedly came to blows with CBS record executive LeBaron Taylor because Taylor supposedly made a disparaging remark about black women who dated white men.

Thread Information