Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Jackie Collins dead at 77 -- breast cancer

Default Jackie Collins dead at 77 -- breast cancer

Man, am I bummed. Her novels were at the top of my Guilty Pleasures list.

Jackie Collins
    Getty

By Elizabeth Leonard
    @lizzleonard1 09/19/2015 AT 08:00 PM EDT

Jackie Collins, the beloved best-selling novelist, has died, PEOPLE has exclusively learned.

"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the death of our beautiful, dynamic and one of a kind mother, Jackie Collins, who died of breast cancer today," the Collins family tells PEOPLE in a statement.

"She lived a wonderfully full life and was adored by her family, friends and the millions of readers who she has been entertaining for over 4 decades. She was a true inspiration, a trail blazer for women in fiction and a creative force. She will live on through her characters but we already miss her beyond words."

Diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer six-and-a-half years ago, Collins, 77, chose to keep her illness almost entirely to herself, confiding primarily in her three daughters, Tracy, 54, Tiffany, 48, and Rory, 46.

Collins, who sat down with PEOPLE on Sept. 14 at her Beverly Hills home for what would be her last interview, had no regrets about the decision to keep her cancer journey private while she embraced a very full life until her very last days. "Looking back, I'm not sorry about anything I did," she said during the far-ranging interview that saw her spirited, warm and utterly at peace.

"I did it my way, as Frank Sinatra would say. I've written five books since the diagnosis, I've lived my life, I've travelled all over the world, I have not turned down book tours and no one has ever known until now when I feel as though I should come out with it," said Collins, whose treatments over the years included a lumpectomy, radiation and various drug courses and combinations.

"Now I want to save other people's lives."

Rip
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I thought she was childless...poor thing. RIP
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Her books were awesomely trashy and I loved them. RIP queen of leopard skin.
    gas_chick likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I loved the way she'd parenthesize dialogue, as in (I'm making this up):

"You look great in that dress" said Emerald, thinking "your butt is about to split your back seam".

Great stuff. Maybe someone in GR can pick up the torch.

^That reads like a line from any formal event my hubby and I have attended. I am proud that it's straight out of a Jackie Collins novel. It was very educational reading for me around ages 11-14.

It's a shame breast cancer got her, I want to say poor thing, but not really. I mean, it sounds like she went out with the very panache that made her life and her books such successes. Like she grabbed life and death by the balls and did it on her terms. Good for her.
    Novice, SHELLEE and gas_chick like this.

Yeah, I hope I can depart with her class and humor - and a legacy of fun/sleazy novels everybody enjoyed.

Joan wrote a couple of trashy novels, but they nowhere approached the fun-itude of Jackie's.

She's still married to 30 or 100-years-younger Percy, isn't she?

Elite Member

Loved Hollywood Wives. Such a fun, trashy author. RIP
    Beeyotch likes this.

Noooooooooo! She's my favorite author ever. I will miss her and Lucky Santangelo.
    gas_chick likes this.
    Piss off!

RIP to one of the authors that got me reading books as a kid, except for Judy Blume of course. Stephen King was the other.
    gas_chick likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

R.I.P. Hope she doesn't hold grudges against Librarians who tried their hardest to weed her books and limit her shelf space. Trashy books but I'm sure she was a nice lady.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

My first J.C novel was The World is Full of Divorced Women when I was 19. I Loved her books, so full of juicy stuff and fantasy. Rest in peace.

That's sad. Amazing how she kept it so quiet that she was ill for that long.

The first sex scene I ever read was from Hollywood wives. I was at a friend's and it was her mother's. I was probably 9 or so and I remember being shocked and fascinated.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I once 'met' her in the London restaurant she owned with her second husband. I think it was in Holland Park or thereabouts. We walked into the restaurant and she was there that night on a large table with guests. She was checking everyone out in case she knew them. It must have been pre the latest face lift because I remember a double chin. Nevertheless, she was glamorous and came across as a working business woman minding the shop. Her husband part owned the famous nightclub, Tramp, as well. I see her as running many businesses but in the end, she will be remembered for her novels which were a good, trashy read.
    sprynkles likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information