Thread: Elton John wants Vladimir Putin.. to talk about Gay Rights.

Elite Member

Default Elton John wants Vladimir Putin.. to talk about Gay Rights.

Elton John wants Putin gay rights talks

Elton John wants Putin gay rights talks

BBC News
    1 day ago

BBC Image of Sir Elton John speaking to BBC's Bridget Kendall in Kiev - 12 September 2015

Sir Elton John says he wants to meet Vladimir Putin to discuss what he called the Russian president's "ridiculous" attitude to gay rights.

A report by Human Rights Watch last year said Russia was failing to prevent and prosecute homophobic violence amid a rise in attacks against minorities.

Speaking to the BBC, Sir Elton said he would welcome talks with Mr Putin even though "he may laugh behind my back... and call me an absolute idiot".

The musician is currently in Ukraine.

He met Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and called for the country to give stronger support to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans-sexual (LGBT) community.

Sir Elton also met with business leaders to call on them to not turn away LGBT employees.

Ukraine's neighbour, Russia, passed a law in June 2013 that prosecuted private individuals promoting "homosexual behaviour among minors".

Sir Elton criticised the move, and comments Mr Putin made last year, indicating gay people targeted children.

"Give me a break," Sir Elton said. "You are President of Russia, and you go and say stupid things like that?"

He said Mr Putin's attitude to gay people was "isolating and prejudiced" and "ridiculous".

"I would like to meet [Mr Putin]," Sir Elton told the BBC's diplomatic correspondent, Bridget Kendall.

"It's probably pie in the sky... He may laugh behind my back when he shuts the door, and call me an absolute idiot, but at least I can think I have the conscience to say I tried."

Elite Member

Russia's Putin phones Elton John

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/...=AAabC8j&ocid=

BBC News
    8 hrs ago

AP Images Russian President Vladimir Putin

Sir Elton John has said he was contacted by Vladimir Putin after saying he wanted to meet and discuss gay rights with the Russian President.

In a BBC interview, Sir Elton said he wanted to talk to Mr Putin about his "ridiculous" stance on the issue.

A message on the musician's Instagram account thanked President Putin for "reaching out" in a phone conversation.

Details of the call have not been published. Mr Putin's office is yet to confirm if there will be a meeting.

But Sir Elton's message added: "I look to forward to meeting with you face-to-face to discuss LGBT equality in Russia."

His office later confirmed that the two men had spoken.

Russia has faced international criticism for its laws against homosexuality, including a 2013 bill prosecuting people for providing information about homosexuality to people under 18.

A report by Human Rights Watch last year said Russia was failing to prevent and prosecute homophobic violence amid a rise in attacks against minorities.

During his interview, Sir Elton admitted he thought it was unlikely he would meet President Putin.

"It's probably pie in the sky. He may laugh behind my back when he shuts the door, and call me an absolute idiot, but at least I can think I have the conscience to say I tried."

But the phone call comes at an interesting time, says the BBC's Diplomatic Correspondent Bridget Kendall, with Mr Putin due to speak at the UN in New York at the end of this month.

Amid speculation the Russian leader is trying to improve relations with the west, he may have calculated reaching out to Sir Elton would be a popular move, our correspondent adds.

..... New article...

Kremlin denies Putin phoned Elton John

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/...i=AA4RE4&ocid=

Associated Press
    1 hour ago

Alexei Druzhinin/RIA-Novosti, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP

A spokesman for Vladimir Putin has rejected Elton John's claim that the Russian president phoned him after the musician requested a meeting to discuss Russia's anti-gay environment.

On Instagram Sir Elton wrote: "Thank-you to President Vladimir Putin for reaching out and speaking via telephone with me today. I look to forward to meeting with you face-to-face to discuss LGBT equality in Russia."

The singer's publicist, Gary Farrow, on Tuesday confirmed the content of the Instagram post.

But Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian news agencies later on Tuesday that Putin never called Sir Elton.

"Putin did not have a conversation with Elton John, and, what's more, we have not received any requests from him for a meeting," Peskov was quoted as saying.

Peskov added, however, that Putin would be willing to talk to the musician if he reaches out to him.

"The president has always been open to discuss human rights issues," he said.

"The president, I'm sure, will be ready to meet with Elton John, too, if there is such a request."

Last week John criticised Russia's law against gay "propaganda" and comments by Putin suggesting that gay people prey on children.

The openly gay hitmaker told the BBC he would "love to sit down with him" and try to change Putin's mind.
    Last edited by *Wookie-Chick*; September 15th, 2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Adding another article

Thread Information