Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Idris Elba, "too street" to play James Bond?

Default Idris Elba, "too street" to play James Bond?

Anthony Horowitz apologises after calling Idris Elba 'too street' to play James Bond

James Bond author Anthony Horowitz has apologised for his comments about the prospect of Idris Elba being cast as 007, saying he “clumsily” chose the words “too street” to describe the Luther actor.

Horowitz, who spoke to the Mail on Sunday and launched a scathing critique of the recent iterations of the Bond franchise, released the statement on Tuesday saying: “I am mortified to have caused offence.”
    He added: “I’m really sorry my comments about Idris Elba have caused offence. That wasn’t my intention.
    “I was asked in my interview if Idris Elba would make a good James Bond. In the article I expressed the opinion that to my mind Adrian Lester would be a better choice, but I’m a writer not a casting director so what do I know?”
    The author, who has written “continuation” Bond novels, including the latest Trigger Mortis, and said Lester would be a more “suave” Bond, explained his use of the word “street” to describe Elba.

“Clumsily, I chose the word ‘street’ as Elba’s gritty portrayal of DCI John Luther was in my mind but I admit it was a poor choice of word. I am mortified to have caused offence.”
    Many commentators had expressed anger at Horowitz’s choice of words, including the influential American writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, who tweeted: “Just be honest and say ‘James Bond’s being white is important to me’ and be done with it ... Elba is ‘too street’ in much the same way that Obama was ‘too foreign,’ and King was ‘too communist.’”

Horowitz told the Mail that Elba as “a bit too rough to play the part”, adding “It’s not a colour issue. I think he is probably a bit too ‘street’ for Bond.”

Elba’s position as potentially the first ever black Bond was recently criticised by American rightwing radio host Rush Limbaugh who said: “He was white and Scottish. Period.”
    Yaphet Kotto, who starred in Live and Let Die said Elba should not be cast in the lead role, saying: “He cannot be black. Political correctness be damned. Play 003 or 006, but you cannot be 007.”

Anthony Horowitz apologises after calling Idris Elba 'too street' to play James Bond | Film | The Guardian

The picture from The Guardian didn't show up so I wanted to post some here. He'd be a GREAT James Bond, very suave!

I liked his response to the whole thing: "Always Keep Smiling!! It takes no energy and never hurts! Learned that from the Street!!"

I agree that he'd be great as Bond and think that in addition to being hot as hell, he is very suave.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'd love Horowitz to define "street".
    witchcurlgirl and cherrypye like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I think they should do at least one Bond movie with Idris to see what the reaction would be...you never know.
    Clubber Lang and greysfang like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I'd love Horowitz to define "street".
    Me too because I don't quite understand what it means. Is it code for ghetto or somthing.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'd be glad to watch Idris walk out of the ocean in a Speedo.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^^^Or withOUT?
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Even better.
    BITTER and greysfang like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

Oh jeez. He's an actor, and a very good one at that. I would assume he could play suave with no problem.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

while i think idris would make a great bond, i don't see any reason for the change because daniel craig should be bond forevah.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Me too because I don't quite understand what it means. Is it code for ghetto or somthing.
    Well of course that's what he meant, but he forgot that not every one is as racist as he & Roger Moore appear to be. You know with him not being English,English, or English enough (I don't remember what RM said). You can no longer just say these stupid comments & not expect to be called out on them.

Idris plays a british cop on Luther, who is not polished nor upper class, nor suave, he is rough, and hard, and fights dirty - but, it is just a role, and having seen what I percieve to be a great actor would enjoy seeing Idris as ond, ut lets face it, surely the better actors get the better parts as the "baddies"?
    Bond is very pedestrian IMO, and I say that as a fan.
    Lalasnake likes this.

He's a great actor because I did not know that he was British until almost the second season of The Wire!
    Novice likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information