Thread: Legendary Horror Director Wes Craven Dead At 76

Elite Member

Default Legendary Horror Director Wes Craven Dead At 76

Legendary Horror Director Wes Craven Dead At 76

Legendary Horror Director Wes Craven Dead At 76

The Huffington Post
    Matthew Jacobs 19 mins ago

© Jason LaVeris via Getty Images ATHENA IMAGE

Wes Craven, the director of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Scream," has died of brain cancer at 76, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Horror Master Wes Craven, Dead at 76

Horror Master Wes Craven, Dead at 76 - ComingSoon.net

While we thought we might be able to get through the summer without losing another filmmaking great, it’s being reported that one of horror’s finest filmmakers and the man responsible for some of the biggest horror hits of all time, Mr. Wes Craven, is dead at the age of 76.

Not a lot has been reported about Craven’s passing but we’ll update this as we learn more.

Craven of course is best known for the hit horror franchise that began with 1984’s A Nightmare on Elm Street which introduced Freddy Krueger to the world (as well as a 21-year-old Johnny Depp) but the filmmaker had already been making edgy horror films for over a decade before that, most notably 1972’s The Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes in 1977.

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a huge breakout, leading to multiple sequels, but Craven was only involved with A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, which he wrote and produced. In 1994, he’d return to that world in a more META way with Wes Craven’s New Nightmare, but two years later, he decided to spoof the slasher subgenre of horror he helped create with 1994’s Scream, which would kick off an even more successful horror franchise with two huge sequels in 1997 and 2000.

While Craven directed a number of movies in the past ten years including the aptly-titled Cursed and the hit thriller Red Eye, he became more focused on producing remakes of his earlier films The Hills Have Eyes and The Last House on the Left.

In recent years, Craven has been involved with bringing Scream to television with the hit MTV show, but 2011’s Scream 4 would be his last feature film as director.

It’s a sad day for horror fans who know Craven for all of the films he wrote, directed and produced.

Boston mass, I now reside in the WHITE MOUNTAINS NH

Aww..... RIP my good man. Good lord. I will now start a Wes C. movie marathon in his honor.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

Nooooooooo!!! Rip to wonderful horror director. I've seen and enjoyed every film of his.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

“What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Oh no!!! This is awful! This is really sad, I love him.

RIP Wes. There will never be another nightmare like you. Last House on the Left made me feel dirty and so creeped out. Not too many movies will do that to you anymore.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    RIP Wes. There will never be another nightmare like you. Last House on the Left made me feel dirty and so creeped out. Not too many movies will do that to you anymore.
    Seriously. The original was some sick shit. Those who only knew of him from the Nightmare on Elm Street series don't even know.
    Rest in peace, he was an original for sure.
    I hope we can keep Romero around for a while, I'd like to have a beer with him. I just watched a documentary about the making of Night of the Living Dead. Extremely entertaining.
    gas_chick and I'mNotBitter like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

RIP. He was probably the first director I knew by name.

Will be missed. However my all time fav is John Carpenter. He blows Wes Craven out of the water!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Seriously. The original was some sick shit. Those who only knew of him from the Nightmare on Elm Street series don't even know.
    Rest in peace, he was an original for sure.
    I hope we can keep Romero around for a while, I'd like to have a beer with him. I just watched a documentary about the making of Night of the Living Dead. Extremely entertaining.
    Romero is a God. Every one of his zombie movies has been great. I really liked Diary of the Dead as much as the other ones.

I was in the theater on the opening night of "Nightmare on Elm Street". I was freaking out because I knew about Craven's earlier work ("Last House") so was prepared to be traumatized. But I thought Freddie was a schlocky character.

I thought the original "Scream" was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by marvel View Post
    Will be missed. However my all time fav is John Carpenter. He blows Wes Craven out of the water!!!!!!!!
    They have both had some hits and misses. I like Carpenter more - I think his version of "The Thing" is a masterpiece and it's one of my favorite horror movies.

Last House on the Left was for sure a sick fuck movie, but unlike Jimmy I like that stuff. Schlocky is a great way to describe Freddy. We saw the original Scream in the movies while we lived in Ft Lauderdale (not in the best of areas, on the other side of the tracks, literally) and it scared the crap out of us. When we got home I was terrified to go to the bathroom because I knew that someone was in there. I finally had to pee so bad that I went with a knife. I'm sure we looked like fools. My favorite horror movies are the Halloween movies by Carpenter so I guess he would be my favorite. Romero is a Zombie genius.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

"But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

A collection of screams from various Wes Craven movies:

SHELLEE and gas_chick like this.

Hell I like Freddy. Always got a kick out of those movies especially Tina walking around in the body bag. I love Halloween too but I think the Hills Have Eyes and Last House on the Left have Carpenter beat but hey I love Friday the 13th the most so don't listen to me. I'm not too high brow.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information