Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Chrissie Hynde Under Fire for Rape Remarks

Default Chrissie Hynde Under Fire for Rape Remarks

Chrissie Hynde under fire for rape remarks

Singer Chrissie Hynde has come under fire for suggesting it can be a woman's fault if she is raped.
    "You know if you don't want to entice a rapist, don't wear high heels so you can't run from him," she said, in an interview in the Sunday Times.
    The Pretenders singer, 63, said she takes "full responsibility" after she was sexually assaulted aged 21 in Ohio.
    "If I'm walking around in my underwear and I'm drunk. Who else's fault can it be?" Hynde told Krissi Murison.
    In her recently completed autobiography, Reckless, Hynde recounts how she was forced to perform sexual acts on members of an Ohio motorcycle gang who had promised to take her to a party, but instead took her to an abandoned house.
    "Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility," said the singer, who recalled being high on drugs at the time.
    "If I'm walking around and I'm very modestly dressed and I'm keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I'd say that's his fault. But if I'm being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who's already unhinged - don't do that. Come on! That's just common sense."
    "I don't think I am saying anything controversial, am I?" she concluded.
    Dismissive response
    But her comments were condemned by the charity Victim Support who said that victims "should not blame themselves".
    Lucy Hastings, director of Victim Support, said: "Victims of sexual violence should never feel or be made to feel that they were responsible for the appalling crime they suffered - regardless of circumstances or factors which may have made them particularly vulnerable.
    "They should not blame themselves or be blamed for failing to prevent an attack - often they will have been targeted by predatory offenders who are responsible for their actions."
    The response on Twitter was equally dismissive.
    "Chrissie Hynde has completely destroyed her feminist legacy in one ignorant, appalling statement", tweeted Andrew.
    Dear Chrissie Hynde. NOTHING ever justifies the rape or sexual assault of a woman. It's the abusers fault only. Love. A Man", tweeted Antony.
    "Thing about rapists is that they're rapists. They don't care what victims wear. Their impulse is to rape. They're rapists. Chrissie Hynde", wrote Jill.
    But there was also some sympathy.
    "People criticising Chrissie Hynde for her comments are overlooking that she is a victim and this is self blame. I feel v sorry for her tbh", tweeted Stephanie.
    While the Guardian's Hadley Freeman echoed her thoughts: "Many people seem furious with Chrissie Hynde, and I get why, but I feel pity for her. Imagine blaming y/self for sthg so awful for so long."

"If I'm walking around in my underwear and I'm drunk. Who else's fault can it be?" The guy who raped you! It's really sad that she still blames herself for being raped after so many years.

Elite Member

Damn. There's not even a possibility for her words to be misconstrued. She is just outright saying it. That's too bad. Seems she's internalized some victim blaming along the way, in reaction to her own sexual assault. Fuck the shit and nonsense that she's saying, but I've got some empathy over the fucked-up way she has 'recovered.'

i guess that's how she dealt with it, taking 'ownership' probably gives her back some sort of control and power over what happened. some people hate seeing themselves as 'victims', or what they percieve as being victimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    i guess that's how she dealt with it, taking 'ownership' probably gives her back some sort of control and power over what happened. some people hate seeing themselves as 'victims', or what they percieve as being victimized.
    I think you've nailed it.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Bronze Member

Default Honestly sad

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
    I think you've nailed it.
    That Chrissie Hynde, female rocker icon, is taking all the responsibility for being kidnapped & assaulted by bikers, makes me so sad.

But, she is speaking very realistically about how women can optimally protect themselves in a dangerous world.
    Being so drunk/high in public that I'm blind to my personal safety or make bad decisions…that puts ME at risk, in a world where men are stronger than women. Women don't often think protectively in first-world countries, there's an illusion that our more 'civilised' society keeps us safe.
    Arguments about who's responsible are of no use, after you've been assaulted. And like it or not, some predators will target the more provocatively dressed - even if she thinks 'that it's just what Miley Cyrus wears, so what?!'

ShibaJonz

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Susan jones View Post
    That Chrissie Hynde, female rocker icon, is taking all the responsibility for being kidnapped & assaulted by bikers, makes me so sad.

But, she is speaking very realistically about how women can optimally protect themselves in a dangerous world.
    Being so drunk/high in public that I'm blind to my personal safety or make bad decisions…that puts ME at risk, in a world where men are stronger than women. Women don't often think protectively in first-world countries, there's an illusion that our more 'civilised' society keeps us safe.
    Arguments about who's responsible are of no use, after you've been assaulted. And like it or not, some predators will target the more provocatively dressed - even if she thinks 'that it's just what Miley Cyrus wears, so what?!'
    Just like some predators target those who are dressed more modestly, or more gender neutral. How she was dressed didn't make a difference to the scum who raped her.
    Lalasnake and Kittylady like this.

Bullshit. The rapist is responsible. I should be able to walk around naked without getting raped.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Rape is about power its got nothing to do with what a woman, man or child is wearing. I feel a bit sorry for her that this is the way she has coped and dealt with her rape. But like what the others said here it doesn't matter what a woman wears, from a burka to a bikini, if a rapist sees an opportunity they will grab it. But it fucking sucks that the victim gets to be blamed for a rapist actions.

saying what a woman wears will get her raped is like the theory that letting little girls dress older will encourage child molesters. i have heard a lot of molesters prefer the 'innocent' look of a child wearing a dress with braids before a girl who is made up to look like a woman. they like their 7 year olds pristine and 'untouched'.

Personally, I think I'm raising the kind of young man that would give a drunk girl walking around in her underwear a blanket to throw over herself and make sure nobody messed with her until he could help her find her friends and make sure she got home safe. But hey, that's just me.

So fucking tired of this bullshit where women are taught they should 'expect' to be raped if.... NO. They. Should. Not. EVER.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Any sort of decent human being would NOT take advantage of a person (man, woman or child) walking around naked.

I hate when society blames the victim, I hate it even more when the victims feel that they are some how at fault for what happened to them.
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.

That Chrissie Hynde, female rocker icon, is taking all the responsibility for being kidnapped & assaulted by bikers, makes me so sad.But, she is speaking very realistically about how women can optimally protect themselves in a dangerous world.Being so drunk/high in public that I'm blind to my personal safety or make bad decisions…that puts ME at risk, in a world where men are stronger than women. Women don't often think protectively in first-world countries, there's an illusion that our more 'civilised' society keeps us safe.Arguments about who's responsible are of no use, after you've been assaulted. And like it or not, some predators will target the more provocatively dressed - even if she thinks 'that it's just what Miley Cyrus wears, so what?!'
    When we tell women 'If you don't want to be raped dress modestly' we're telling men that it's a normal response to assault women if they won't be modest. It's wrong, and it's dangerous
    mostroop, czb, idunno and 10 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Sounds like she needs help if she truly believes that it was all her fault.
    Honey, Bombshell and Lalasnake like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

What are the differences/similarities in the way US women view sexual assault compared to Europeean women?
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information