Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Quentin Tarantino shades Ben Affleck, ‘True Detective’ & white supremacy

Default Quentin Tarantino shades Ben Affleck, ‘True Detective’ & white supremacy

Quentin Tarantino shades Ben Affleck, ‘True Detective’ & white supremacy

Quentin Tarantino did a really amazing interview with New York Magazine – go here to read the full piece. QT is doing some advanced promotion for The Hateful Eight, which has a limited release on Christmas Day (and will come out wide in January). Will The Hateful Eight be an awards contender? Perhaps. I wasn’t really expecting Django Unchained to be part of the awards conversation several years ago, but QT picked up his second screenwriting Oscar (and Christoph Waltz picked up his second Oscar as well). If anything, I think The Hateful Eight looks just as compelling, if not more so, than Django. As for this new QT interview… it’s really great. Quentin talks about Marvel, the evolving sophistications of audiences, his love of Westerns and how much he hates True Detective. Some highlights (but I would suggest reading the full piece!).

How everyone is talking about race: “I know. I’m very excited by that. Finally, the issue of white supremacy is being talked about and dealt with. And it’s what the movie’s about. It was already in the script. It was already in the footage we shot. It just happens to be timely right now. We’re not trying to make it timely. It is timely. I love the fact that people are talking and dealing with the institutional racism that has existed in this country and been ignored. I feel like it’s another ’60s moment, where the people themselves had to expose how ugly they were before things could change. I’m hopeful that that’s happening now.

His thoughts on Obama: “I think he’s fantastic. He’s my favorite president, hands down, of my lifetime. He’s been awesome this past year. Especially the rapid, one-after-another-after-another-after-another aspect of it. It’s almost like take no prisoners. His he-doesn’t-give-a-sh-t attitude has just been so cool. Everyone always talks about these lame-duck presidents. I’ve never seen anybody end with this kind of ending. All the people who supported him along the way that questioned this or that and the other? All of their questions are being answered now.

The annual Oscar-bait movies: “The movies that used to be treated as independent movies, like the Sundance movies of the ’90s — those are the movies that are up for Oscars now. Stuff like The Kids Are All Right and The Fighter. They’re the mid-budget movies now, they just have bigger stars and bigger budgets. They’re good, but I don’t know if they have the staying power that some of the movies of the ’90s and the ’70s did. I don’t know if we’re going to be talking about The Town or The Kids Are All Right or An Education 20 or 30 years from now. Notes on a Scandal is another one. Philomena. Half of these Cate Blanchett movies — they’re all just like these arty things. I’m not saying they’re bad movies, but I don’t think most of them have a shelf life. But The Fighter or American Hustle — those will be watched in 30 years.

The importance of casting: “The Fighter had impeccable casting. As an example, I really liked The Town, which also came out in 2010. It was a good crime film. However, next to The Fighter, it just couldn’t hold up, because everybody in The Town is beyond gorgeous. Ben Affleck is the one who gets away with it, because his Boston accent is so good. But the crook is absolutely gorgeous. The bank teller is absolutely gorgeous. The FBI guy is absolutely gorgeous. The town whore, Blake Lively, is absolutely gorgeous. Jeremy Renner is the least gorgeous guy, and he’s pretty f–king good-looking. Then, if you look at The Fighter, and you look at those sisters, they’re just so magnificent. When you see David O. Russell cast those sisters,5 and you see Ben Affleck cast Blake Lively,6 you can’t compare the two movies. One just shows how phony the other is.

He hates True Detective: “I tried to watch the first episode of season one, and I didn’t get into it at all. I thought it was really boring. And season two looks awful. Just the trailer — all these handsome actors trying to not be handsome and walking around looking like the weight of the world is on their shoulders. It’s so serious, and they’re so tortured, trying to look miserable with their mustaches and grungy clothes.”

He loved The Newsroom: “Now, the HBO show I loved was Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom. That was the only show that I literally watched three times. I would watch it at seven o’clock on Sunday, when the new one would come on. Then after it was over, I’d watch it all over again. Then I would usually end up watching it once during the week, just so I could listen to the dialogue one more time.
    [From Vulture]

As I said, the whole thing’s worth a read. He talks a lot about actresses and writing parts for women and his career as a whole. He comes off as cocky at several points and comes very close to saying that he is without peer in the industry. It would have been eye-rolly from another writer-director, but I tend to think QT has earned his cockiness. Plus, he still seems so engaged with the filmmaking process, both as an active filmmaker and as a consumer. It’s hard to hate him, at least that’s the case for me. As for his hatred for True Detective – smart guy. Season 2 was THE WORST.

Here’s the trailer for The Hateful Eight:

Photos courtesy of WENN.

« Previous Post Next Post »

Cele|bitchy | Quentin Tarantino shades Ben Affleck, ‘True Detective’ & white supremacy
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I love me some Tarrantino and I can't wait for this movie.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I agree with him on the second season of True Detective. I liked the first season though. As hokey as McConaghey is, he really sold that story pretty well.
    bootspaige and *DIVA! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I love me some Tarrantino and I can't wait for this movie.
    Me, too. But he doesn't have his good luck charm (Christoph Walz) this time!

I love Christoph but there was magic before him as well.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I agree with him on the second season of True Detective. I liked the first season though. As hokey as McConaghey is, he really sold that story pretty well.
    Tarantino's a jerk. He admits he only saw part of the first episode of TD1 and said it was boring. He never watched the show (which had a slow burn to start with). And he's criticizing TD2 based on the trailer?

He loved The Newsroom: “Now, the HBO show I loved was Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom. That was the only show that I literally watched three times. I would watch it at seven o’clock on Sunday, when the new one would come on. Then after it was over, I’d watch it all over again. Then I would usually end up watching it once during the week, just so I could listen to the dialogue one more time.
    I loved The Newsroom too.

I find Quentin's movies to be pretentiously shocking and I don't always get where he's coming from, but he has made some interesting points, especially on race. Hate to say it, but he's dealt with the issue more than a lot of other white directors in Hollywood.
    mostlylurking likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by KittyLittle View Post
    Tarantino's a jerk. He admits he only saw part of the first episode of TD1 and said it was boring. He never watched the show (which had a slow burn to start with). And he's criticizing TD2 based on the trailer?
    I was bored by the first episode as well and decided not to watch the rest of the season. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I find Quentin's movies to be pretentiously shocking and I don't always get where he's coming from, but he has made some interesting points, especially on race. Hate to say it, but he's dealt with the issue more than a lot of other white directors in Hollywood.
    There is definitely always a shock element to them, even when it's stuff he has only written, instead of directed - for example, "Natural Born Killers" and "True Romance".

I also wanted to mention that I really like how he manages to bring use, and even help resurrect the careers of, older actors - like Pam Grier, David Carradine, Michael Parks, Robert Forster, Lee Horsley, Tom Wopat.....

Haha, I walked out of Natural Born Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    There is definitely always a shock element to them, even when it's stuff he has only written, instead of directed - for example, "Natural Born Killers" and "True Romance".

I also wanted to mention that I really like how he manages to bring use, and even help resurrect the careers of, older actors - like Pam Grier, David Carradine, Michael Parks, Robert Forster, Lee Horsley, Tom Wopat.....
    For one bright, shining moment, Pam Grier was a-list in all of her semi-Nubian glory.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Haha, I walked out of Natural Born Killers.

I love that movie. Juliette Lewis is everything when she let's the crazy out.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

I've been looking forward to this movie for months, can't fucking wait.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Season 2 of True Detective started off slow but I'm glad I stuck it out. It got so much better as the story fell into place. It was very noir, I loved it and cried lots as the season wrapped up.
    mostlylurking likes this.
    "You should've never trusted Hollywood..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information