Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Cara Delevingne Quitting Modeling: It Made Me Hate My Body & 'Didn't Make Me Grow'

Default Cara Delevingne Quitting Modeling: It Made Me Hate My Body & 'Didn't Make Me Grow'

She’s not going to model anymore:
    She divulged that she is “not doing fashion work any more.” The reason? It made her “feel a bit hollow…It didn’t make me grow at all as a human being. And I kind of forgot how young I was. I felt so old.”

Modeling “wasn’t a good time.”
    “I was, like, fight and flight for months. Just constantly on edge. It is a mental thing as well because if you hate yourself and your body and the way you look, it just gets worse and worse.”

Her psoriasis breakout:
    “People would put on gloves and not want to touch me because they thought it was, like, leprosy or something.”

Doing sexual poses & campaigns when she was a teenager:
    “I am a bit of a feminist and it makes me feel sick. It’s horrible and it’s disgusting. [We're talking about] young girls. You start when you are really young and you do, you get subjected to … not great stuff.”

She knows Hollywood is sexist but..
    it’s “worse in modeling….I am very good at standing up for myself now, and for other people. If there is injustice I will flip out. If someone is crossing a line, they will know about it and so will everyone else.”

Rejection made her stronger:
    “I am a lot harder than I was and I feel like all of that modeling, life, rejection, everything, was preparation for this, and now that I am doing this I am the happiest person in the whole world.”

[From People]

Cele|bitchy | Cara Delevingne announces her retirement from modeling: bratty or fine?
    dougie likes this.

"Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Ugly chick has had it with people photographing her for a ridiculously enormous paycheck. Film at 11.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Good idea Cara, bite the hand that feeds; because you're going to be up for the next Oscar/Grammy/Nobel Peace Prize of course, so why not?

Of course sexism exists in modeling (and pretty much everywhere) but instead of burning down the whole industry, maybe taking a stealthier approach to fighting the madness would make more sense.
    Publicly waving a flaming middle finger towards the people that made you rarely ever works out, but working to make changes from the inside (with her being in a position of power and all) could actually be affective, and wouldn't destroy those bridges she's going to need in two months when Hollywood gets sick of her.
    arie_skop likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I really enjoyed reading the thread on Datalounge titled, "Why is Cara Delevingne a thing." I was glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't understand her popularity.
    arie_skop likes this.

Ah, she has made the rare crossover from modelling to acting at a relatively young age. Good luck to her!
    Annika likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

She's still early in her movie career....one day she might have to return to modelling for some income

Anyway, she should be grateful - modelling did help her become a star and turn to acting.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Everybody knows modeling is a cesspool, so it's not a big revelation or even much of a slam.

In terms of hating her body, I thought her modeling emphasized her face more than her body.

Modeling is a cesspool and her coming out and saying she hated it seems perfectly reasonable. Why are we always telling women to shut up when they balk at the status quo?

I hardly know who this girl is but if modeling made her hate herself, good for her leaving it. Why would we expect her to stay and put up with it? for money?
    sluce, Annika, faithanne and 8 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Ugly chick has had it with people photographing her for a ridiculously enormous paycheck. Film at 11.
    For a minute there I thought it was Frankie Muniz...she's that fug.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

She's definitely not to everyone's taste, but if she were objectively ugly, she would probably not be on the cover of every major fashion magazine, multiple times.....
    stella blue likes this.

^^Some of the covers were put on that spreadsheet twice there buddy. I think she had opportunity because of her parents and ran with it. I am thankful she has decided to quit, I never understood her "beauty" to begin with. Not being snarky, just didn't understand it, but then again, I am use to the supermodels of the 80's.

I would say being a model is more about having a distinctive look and some kind of 'it' quality than about being beautiful. Cara is definitely not cookie cutter, and I like a strange beauty, but to me she just looks an angry little pug dog. I get why she is/was a model actually, but she's fug to me and I don't like looking at her face.

Come on, tell me you don't see the resemblance:

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    ^^Some of the covers were put on that spreadsheet twice there buddy. I think she had opportunity because of her parents and ran with it.
    That's just a google image search, so there might be a duplicate or two, but not very many. It actually goes on and on with additional covers. I would imagine that she had an opportunity because of her parents, but I doubt her parents were what caused her to be on the cover of Vogue a zillion times.

I would say being a model is more about having a distinctive look and some kind of 'it' quality than about being beautiful. Cara is definitely not cookie cutter, and I like a strange beauty, but to me she just looks an angry little pug dog. I get why she is/was a model actually, but she's fug to me and I don't like looking at her face.

Come on, tell me you don't see the resemblance:
    I googled her name and pug, and I did get two results that compared Kim K with her, but not Cara Delegngne.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Modeling is a cesspool and her coming out and saying she hated it seems perfectly reasonable. Why are we always telling women to shut up when they balk at the status quo?

I hardly know who this girl is but if modeling made her hate herself, good for her leaving it. Why would we expect her to stay and put up with it? for money?
    Vouch. I guess it's only acceptable when we say it is a cesspool and make fun of the models. God forbid a young woman sees through the charade and decides she wants better.
    Shinola, Annika, faithanne and 2 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information