Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Actress Tatiana Maslany: Itís sexist to tell me to wax my mustache or shave my pits

Default Actress Tatiana Maslany: Itís sexist to tell me to wax my mustache or shave my pits

Every woman has experienced sexism: ďI donít think that any woman in this industry hasnít [experienced sexism] Ė I think we all have in various ways, and sometimes you canít even tell that itís happening because itís so ingrained in the way things are structured. Seventy or 80 percent of the people on set are male Ė directors, writers, producers, people in positions of power, but thatís shifting too.Ē

Experiences with sexism:
    ďLike being told, ĎLetís not talk about that, sweetheart,í if I have an issue with being hit on by a 50-year-old when I was 17 and on set. Itís never ending. Being put into this little outfit that showed my midriff in a scene where Iím supposed to be grieving the death of a family member, and itís like, ĎMake sure that her belly button is showingí Ė itís just pathetic. Itís so pathetic.Ē

Sheís been asked to alter her appearance:
    Maslany recalls being asked to shave her armpits. ďAnd wax my mustache, which I refused to do! Iíll do it if the part calls for it and it makes sense.Ē

Thereís always a power struggle:
    ďSometimes itís not worth being political about it. Thereís a point where I have to separate my own political values versus the character Iím playing.Ē

Hopefully things are changing:
    ďI canít imagine that itís going to stay stuck like this. I hope not! People are too upset, people are too pissed off and too many strong voices are now being heard. There is a big shift happening, and I think we are at the messy puberty stages of it right now, but I hope that at some point it becomes the default that every racial group has their own stories that are being told that arenít stereotypical. Itís just about bringing that sensitivity, your emotional life and your understanding of humanity that women have thatís different to men.Ē

[From People]

Cele|bitchy | Tatiana Maslany: It’s sexist to tell me to wax my mustache or shave my pits

Silver Member

Who?

Yet I don't see nary a hair on her upper lip or sticking out of her armpit area, so I guess she does wax/shave, just don't tell her to do it
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Good god get over yourself it's not sexist to not want to have fury mustache be grateful you can complain about some BS beauty standards and not something like female gentile mutilation
    And for the record if I was done to my last 35 dollars I would have my face threaded , extra hair is not cute or empowering it's tacky
    Clubber Lang, holly and Jazzy like this.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    Good god get over yourself it's not sexist to not want to have fury mustache be grateful you can complain about some BS beauty standards and not something like female gentile mutilation
    I always find this line of reasoning bizarre. I call it the "starving children in Africa" response. "Stop complaining about any issue/problem you have, because there are children STARVING in Africa right now!" Of course people are going to discuss issues from their own perspectives and live experience. Even though something like FGM is a huge issue worldwide, we in most western countries (and cultural upbringings) are not impacted (or as impacted) by it, so it's not "selfish" or "complaining" to talk about things which directly affect us personally, and it does NOT mean that we don't think FGM is an issue (or a big issue), it's just that most people talk from and about their experience.

I really hate it when people tell you to shut up about your opinion because there is <some worse thing> they think you should be talking about incessantly - as if you get to decide what's important to/for other people.

And for the record if I was done to my last 35 dollars I would have my face threaded , extra hair is not cute or empowering it's tacky
    Wow, really?
    sluce, Brah, anad and 3 others like this.

Sorry, I had to bold this, I'm now picturing some kind of yelling moustache

Furious moustache is furious! It's the cultural norm in the west to shave your pits and any fur on your face if you are a woman. It's not a Hollywood thing. I feel she is negating some valid points by generalizing and exaggerating.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Briar Rose View Post
    Who?
    I don't watch the show, but she is the star of "Orphan Black", which is some kind of cult hit. I hear she is really good in it. She changes her appearance a lot in the show, supposedly, but I couldn't find any examples with her furious mustache.

Elite Member

Hollywood makes men manscape too. Of all the examples of sexism she could have used, this was pretty lame.

Elite Member

Sorry, but I do not find hairy women attractive.

A woman has a right to do with her hair as she wants. But i'm attracted to what I'm attracted to.

I'm not a "sexist". But my penis is tho.

She's great on Orphan Black. I shave myself down because I don't want to look like Bigfoot but if you want to look like Bigfoot IDGAF.
    joebob and Snarker like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    Sorry, but I do not find hairy women attractive.

A woman has a right to do with her hair as she wants. But i'm attracted to what I'm attracted to.

I'm not a "sexist". But my penis is tho.
    I am going to part ways with my colleague Joe Bob here and say that the only place that I don't find hair on a woman attractive is when they are sporting a mustache, or a van dyke, or Elvis-style sideburns.

idk, I think it's funny that so many people say that hair on women is disgusting or unnatural (which I've heard many men and women say), when it's... natural. It's seem as unnatural because we're told to shave it constantly. It's seen as disgusting because of conditioning. I've stopped shaving my legs for the most part, and I get comments on it, which is just so odd to me. What does hair matter? If it's not natural for a woman to have hair on her legs, then why do we need to shave it constantly?

Just because there's worse things happening in the world doesn't mean we can't get annoyed with the pressure to alter our appearance, because NOT altering it is what's unnatural or gross. I think being told that your natural state of being is gross is kind of awful. Good for her for saying it.

Silver Member

The title is misleading. She didn't say it was sexist to wax or shave, just objecting to being pressure into waxing/shaving to fit into someone else idea of what is attractive or acceptable. Of course, this could be link to sexism considering the objectification of women and how a woman's worth is so often tied to her appearance. We don't really demand men to be completely free of body hair and yet women are expected to be wax and shave within an inch of their lives. The idea that having body hair is tacky or unhygienic is down right stupid. This social norm has more to do with aesthetic than anything else.
    Janus likes this.

The title is misleading. She didn't say it was sexist to wax or shave, just objecting to being pressure into waxing/shaving to fit into someone else idea of what is attractive or acceptable. Of course, this could be link to sexism considering the objectification of women and how a woman's worth is so often tied to her appearance.
    But she's in an industry where everyone, male or female, is judged on their appearance. I'm trying to be open minded, but I think social groups where mustaches on women are considered attractive are probably really fringe statistical outliers. And because everything is being recorded in 4K resolution now, every pimple looks like an angry volcano.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information