Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Mayim Bialik slams Botox, cryotherapy, manicures & gym obsessions

Default Mayim Bialik slams Botox, cryotherapy, manicures & gym obsessions

Mayim has launched a lifestyle site, Grok Nation, and she’s having some fun with nerd-oriented topics (remember, she has a PhD), parenting stuff, and sociocultural discussions. So far, Mayim has covered the Trainwreck shooting and private tutoring for her kids in lieu of formal schooling. Here’s part of her column on aging in Hollywood:

I just heard about this treatment. This cryotherapy method of freezing your fat in order to lose weight. You apparently stand in a six-foot-tall machine that blasts you with air between minus 184 and minus 292 degrees Fahrenheit. This supposedly freezes off fat, boosts metabolism, and in the process, melts away about 800 more calories than your fat body used to. (At least that’s what they say.)

In my Blossom years, there was far less emphasis on perfection. The ideal body in the 80s and 90s was a Playboy bunny: skinny, with large fake breasts and no curves (except for the large fake breasts). Blonde was in, big lips and big puppy dog eyes were in and tons of lip gloss and mascara. No one wore SPANX or any such corset. Certainly not men! You wore clothes that flattered your body, but the idea that there should be no “bumps” to your physique did not exist.

Fast forward to this incarnation of my career. In the 21st century, both men and women routinely wear SPANX. Many actresses I know even wear SPANX when out and about running errands in jeans and a T-shirt. Many non-actresses I know have started to do the same. The norm has become a seamless, fat-free, streamlined body. Like we are made of plastic… like we are mannequins, really. That’s the look.

As for me, I started to get grey hair here and there about 5 years ago. Now it’s more than here and there, but it still doesn’t show on TV. During What Not To Wear they convinced me to allow them to dye my hair darker, kind of a raven color. Then it faded and I startedThe Big Bang Theory. I have not dyed it since and don’t plan to. I like grey hair. I do believe it’s a false contrived notion we have that grey is ugly. It isn’t ugly – it just is. It means I’m old enough to have earned it. It doesn’t bug me.

[From Grok Nation]

Cele|bitchy | Mayim Bialik slams Botox, cryotherapy, manicures & gym obsessions

I like her hair in this pic.
    Where did she "slam" any of the things in the title? She's just making some observations.

i just noticed that Raj is behind her in the pic.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

she has pretty hair and those glasses really suit her. i agree no one should wear spanx in their every day life. she still can't dress to save her life though.
    gardenwitch likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I can't disagree with any of this but she still bugs the every-living-shit out of me.

Is it wrong that I'd desperately like to try one of those cryo-antifatty machines?
    kasippu and I'mNotBitter like this.

Yes
    sputnik likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

raj looks hot in 'real life'
    holly, JazzyGirl and gardenwitch like this.

Pbbt! I wear spanx-type boyshorts every day for multiple reasons. They are comfortable under my trousers and dont move (read: ride up my butt).
    I dont think that kids should be breastfeed until they are 25 so we'll have to agree to disagree.

I like her.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

I would love her to pieces, if it wasn't for that attachment parenting crap.

I just heard about this treatment. This cryotherapy method of freezing your fat in order to lose weight. You apparently stand in a six-foot-tall machine that blasts you with air between minus 184 and minus 292 degrees Fahrenheit.
    What??? You blast someone with air at that temperature and you are going to burn off their skin...

^^I was wondering about that, because the only cryotherapy I've heard of is one used to freeze and kill abnormal cells in the cervix, after which they slough off as a watery discharge. I can't imagine it wouldn't do the same to skin...

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^I was wondering about that, because the only cryotherapy I've heard of is one used to freeze and kill abnormal cells in the cervix, after which they slough off as a watery discharge. I can't imagine it wouldn't do the same to skin...
    The wild part is that supposedly, you are freezing off the fat. Well, where is it supposed to go? Now, you have dead fat tissue trapped underneath your skin. It sounds like a recipe for necrosis/gangrene or something.

Isn't it along the same lines as that cool-sculpting thing? Although at least that is targeted in certain areas. Standing in a blast freezer just sounds like a bad idea.
    holly likes this.

She doesn't bug me in the least. In fact, I think I might like her. Sure, she may have some kooky ideas and ways of doing things that are not my ways, but I appreciate that she's different-- not in a 'give me attention for being so different' way like Lady Gaga, but simply different in a way that is true to herself. I guess she just seems refreshing amongst all those pretentious, looks-obsessed Hollywood fakes.
    sluce, Trixie, palta and 8 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information